Atheists, smarter than religious people

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 02:56 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Frank, your comment about Fresco reveals how an intelligent man (yourself) can render himself stupid for who-knows-what psychological reasons.
Frankly, your interpretations of my comments show how your only purpose here is to "win" something--who knows what? .

Choose one:

a) Just trying to share the truth with you folks.

b) Bite me!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 05:32 pm
Hi yah Frank,

I'm neither amazed nor perplexed by your responses to date, pretty much par for the course, there is merit to your positions. Earlier I moved things along expediently* but you asked for more clarity, so I am gathering information to help this process.

You're not insulting me, we're both big boys, it's just an internet thread. I'll try and bear with, if you can, it does have a point (as made some time ago) we'll just need a little more time is all.

Back to the topic at hand:

I recall your prior expansion as per question 2) that's great. To clarify: you agree there might be a real world pragmatic set of circumstances whereby at least you would be convinced of a god. Yes?

*amazingly damn slow A2K, your request for more clarity and my daily home renovations
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 06:43 pm
Frank, I rest my case.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 08:58 pm
Hi y'all doing Frank?

Hopefully I have no more questions, and we can move on to Part Deux (note by my calculations I have only asked three questions 1, 2, 3a/b).

3a) Would it be a fair assessment of your character, to say that if you are not a man of science per se, you at least respect and appreciate the scientific method, its self-correcting potential, and the pragmatic real world nature on which it is based?

3b) Would it be a fair assessment of your character, to say that if you are not a man of science per se, you at least respect and appreciate the scientific community to the extent that said community follows the scientific method, its self-correcting potential, and the pragmatic real world nature on which it is based?

I'll check in either late tonight or tomorrow, then we can have some fun; I hope your evening treats you well!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 10:30 pm
Doktor S wrote:
An atheist isn't a thing. There is no group of people called 'atheists', as there is no organization. Atheist is a completely arbitrary designation.

'Atheism' is nothing more than a catchword for people that have come to the only reasonable conclusion about a specific and quite trivial question. it only stands to reason then, 'atheists'(those that answer that certain question the logical way) are probably more intelligent than people that posit more outlandish and unreasonable answers to that specific, trivial question.
Chumly wrote:
Hey Doc,
While I sympathize with your sentiments, your argument would have considerably more merit if you can get past these two points:

1) The rather large capacity for otherwise intelligent people to fool themselves - I for one have not met anyone whom is not very good at this (excluding yours truly of course).

2) The fact that (illogical) faith and (logical) reason regularly abide within the same intellect.
fresco wrote:
At the high risk of being shouted down by Frank's turgid "last wordism" I'm going to reiterate the central issue of this thread, that of the correlation between "intelligence " and "atheism". It is clear to me that anyone described as "intelligent" cannot accept a fundamentalist concept of "God" and must adopt ad hoc mental mechanisms to maintain any possibility of a providential anthropomorphic creator interested in the "welfare" of mankind. Where "intelligence" takes us beyond that (and I claim a certain modicum of that) is either towards "materiality" and "utilitarianism" or the possibility for "spirituality" (a bad word I think because it is sometimes confused with "religiosity") which is a transcendent observational mode in which the consequences of "the individual self" as an insignificant cosmic entity are contemplated. Such a contemplation involving awareness of one's own conditioning, requires significant "intelligence" and therefore may not be available to all.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 10:48 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2513863#2513863

The bolded question in this post is the one you ducked, Frank. I can't say I blame you, because you're going to look like a dolt trying to answer it. Get out the Frankybook of ad hominem, cause you're going to need to do some serious distracting. :wink:
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 11:38 pm
brain fart Embarrassed
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 10:03 am
Chumly,

You wrote:

Quote:
Hey Doc,
While I sympathize with your sentiments, your argument would have considerably more merit if you can get past these two points:

1) The rather large capacity for otherwise intelligent people to fool themselves - I for one have not met anyone whom is not very good at this (excluding yours truly of course).

2) The fact that (illogical) faith and (logical) reason regularly abide within the same intellect.

If you follow up the V.S. Ramachandran article in session 4 of those videos you will find that he cites neurological evidence for one side of the brain as theistic, while the other side is atheistic. A differentiation of "intelligence" may be a similar phenomenon.

However, getting beyond the reductionism implied by "straight neuorology" (as opposed to the "quantum neurology" of Hameroff) the subtle issue about "fooling oneself" is the epistemological problem which lies with the "naive realism" of the word "fooling" which implies "truth" is/can be objective. A secondary issue is that the fragmentation implied by "self fooling self" can be technically eliminated by a "transcendent move" either to Self (capital S) or Nonself
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 12:18 pm
fresco, I don't believe VSRs thesis can be proven. That's because culture and the environment controls most people's belief. It doesn't matter whether it's the right side or left side of the brain; find me any country like Mexico or Spain, and find atheists based on right/left brain.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 01:28 pm
I'll give the V.S. Ramachandran article in session 4 a look see, much thanks!

In the meantime two points (which no doubt you are already aware of, so Fresco why I am saying it?)

1) In some cases of brain damage, it's been shown the brain may be capable o adapting. The appearance of certain kinds of brain functions being exclusively linked to one given area of the brain is not wholly supported by some cases of brain damage.

How Flexible is the Brain's Circuitry?
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro01/web3/Gu.html
Left Brain Right Brain: Fact or Fiction?
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/mind/stories/s1137394.htm

2) Fair enough that fooling oneself implies "truth" is/can be objective. But given your view that self fooling self can be technically eliminated by a transcendent move either to Self (capital S) or Nonself can you show me a man who has no illusions?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 01:28 pm
I'll give the V.S. Ramachandran article in session 4 a look see, much thanks!

In the meantime two points (which no doubt you are already aware of, so Fresco why am I saying it? Am I under an illusion even though I have no illusion?)

1) In some cases of brain damage, it's been shown the brain may be capable of adapting. The appearance of certain kinds of brain functions being exclusively linked to one given area of the brain is not wholly supported by some cases of brain damage.

How Flexible is the Brain's Circuitry?
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro01/web3/Gu.html
Left Brain Right Brain: Fact or Fiction?
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/mind/stories/s1137394.htm

2) Fair enough that fooling oneself implies "truth" is/can be objective. But given your view that self fooling self can be technically eliminated by a transcendent move either to Self (capital S) or Nonself can you show me a man who has no illusions?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 02:26 pm
Chumly wrote:

3a) Would it be a fair assessment of your character, to say that if you are not a man of science per se, you at least respect and appreciate the scientific method, its self-correcting potential, and the pragmatic real world nature on which it is based?

3b) Would it be a fair assessment of your character, to say that if you are not a man of science per se, you at least respect and appreciate the scientific community to the extent that said community follows the scientific method, its self-correcting potential, and the pragmatic real world nature on which it is based?

I'll check in either late tonight or tomorrow, then we can have some fun; I hope your evening treats you well!

YES to both.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 04:30 pm
Chumly,

Thanks for those references (which I'll get round to after the weekend)

Your request "can you show me a man with no illusions" really depends on the epistemological stance taken. ...4 alternatives come to mind.... of which the fourth is the most direct answer to the way you framed the question, with the other three as contributory ideas.

1. According to a simple "naive realism" in which both "man" and "illusion" are deemed non-problematic, my response to you is likely to be "no"....not from a "factual basis"......but because I would be indulging in a form of social convergence involving the two of us as intellectual allies in which you are seeking support for a particular rhetorical answer.

2. If I take the work of Maturana in which "reality" is an interaction of a "system" (a man) with its environment then"illusion" might be defined as a "less useful strategy" than "the optimum". The side issue here is that "man" is a "system" at one level of observation but a "component of a system" (e,g, social group) at another level. This imlplies that "optimization of strategy" for man the individual may not be optimum for man the component. ...i.e. illusion is relative(Consider "belief" as a stategy at both levels).

3. According to some esoteric paradigms like that of Gurdjieff (et al) "ordinary man" is totally occupied with "illusion" but has the possibility of evolving through work on self observation to "Man" (a superior state). Can I show you such a "Man" ?....no ....but I cannot rule out you glimpsing "him" within yourself !

4. Finally there is the paradox of the transcendental position in which a state of "non illusion" is "pointed at" (not shown) but in that state "man" like all "things" dissipates within a holistic unity. This position could be thought of as an ultimate boundary to the nested systems of 2. and a counter to the elitism of 3.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 04:56 pm
I've played bloody hell keeping up with this thread. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the difficulties which prevent people form logging in to read or reply to threads. I usually give up in frustration, as, most often, reading a single thread, or making a single response will get me logged off, or kicked off the site, and i frequently get the message that my ISP "cannot connect to the database."

So, this is many, many pages late. Nevertheless: Another instance in which someone's insistence that there is a deity would not constitute a "guess" would be one in which the person making the assertion states that the cosmos itself is "god." This might be arguable, but it would be, once more, a case of definition, or identification, and not a guess.

It also provides another example of how stating that anyone who asserts that there is a god, or that there is not, is "making a guess." The exercise of equating such assertions with making a guess implicitly assumes a definition of "god" which the "agnostic" is applying in making that charge. It is rather ironic, too, since it implies that the militant agnostic has a definition of "god" with which he or she operates. Without specifying to what nature of deity said agnostic objects--such as supernatural, anthropomorphic, engaged, omniscient and omnipotent being--that agnostic is on no surer ground making assertions about a belief in a deity, or a lack of belief in a diety (as in that the position of the theist or the atheist constitutes a "guess") than those to whom he or she objects.

In fact, in many, if not most, cases, the atheist who simply denies belief in any deity is far more intellectually honest, because his or her position does not assume the nature of said deity. Such a position cannot be equated with a belief in a deity--not simply because believing something and not believing it are not polar but equal opposites--but because those who reject such a belief simply reject the descriptions asserted to them, without assuming the nature of anything. In this situation, the militant agnostic and the militant atheist (a militant atheist being not simply someone who rejects belief, but asserts that there is not and can be no deity) are identical in the implicit assumption of the nature of any putative deity which is asserted either to be unknowable or impossible.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 05:40 pm
Setanta, well put:
"Another instance in which someone's insistence that there is a deity would not constitute a "guess" would be one in which the person making the assertion states that the cosmos itself is "god." This might be arguable, but it would be, once more, a case of definition, or identification, and not a guess."

This is close to my position, but my case the quotations marks around god are essential. The "divine" status I assign to the Cosmos represents both a definition and valuation of Reality as I experience it.

Go suck that up your opening, Frank.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 05:47 pm
Set rocks!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 05:52 pm
Yeah! Or should that be a YEA! Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 06:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
I've played bloody hell keeping up with this thread. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the difficulties which prevent people form logging in to read or reply to threads. I usually give up in frustration, as, most often, reading a single thread, or making a single response will get me logged off, or kicked off the site, and i frequently get the message that my ISP "cannot connect to the database."

So, this is many, many pages late. Nevertheless: Another instance in which someone's insistence that there is a deity would not constitute a "guess" would be one in which the person making the assertion states that the cosmos itself is "god." This might be arguable, but it would be, once more, a case of definition, or identification, and not a guess.

It also provides another example of how stating that anyone who asserts that there is a god, or that there is not, is "making a guess." The exercise of equating such assertions with making a guess implicitly assumes a definition of "god" which the "agnostic" is applying in making that charge. It is rather ironic, too, since it implies that the militant agnostic has a definition of "god" with which he or she operates. Without specifying to what nature of deity said agnostic objects--such as supernatural, anthropomorphic, engaged, omniscient and omnipotent being--that agnostic is on no surer ground making assertions about a belief in a deity, or a lack of belief in a diety (as in that the position of the theist or the atheist constitutes a "guess") than those to whom he or she objects.

In fact, in many, if not most, cases, the atheist who simply denies belief in any deity is far more intellectually honest, because his or her position does not assume the nature of said deity. Such a position cannot be equated with a belief in a deity--not simply because believing something and not believing it are not polar but equal opposites--but because those who reject such a belief simply reject the descriptions asserted to them, without assuming the nature of anything. In this situation, the militant agnostic and the militant atheist (a militant atheist being not simply someone who rejects belief, but asserts that there is not and can be no deity) are identical in the implicit assumption of the nature of any putative deity which is asserted either to be unknowable or impossible.

I absolutely love it when I see that I have gotten so far under your skin, Set...that you get into one of these things.

But at no point have I ever stated that every "assertion" is a guess.

I have said that every "belief" is a guess...and that not every guess is a belief. Fact is, not every assertion is a belief either.

But if someone wants to "assert" that the entire cosmos is god...the person is indulging in defining what GOD is...not making a belief about the unknown.

You really do allow me to get under your skin, don't you! I love it. And I cannot tell you how happy I am that you are not smart enough to keep it hidden. Thanks, Set. I love ya buddy.

How are you silly blind guesses about there being no gods going?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 06:04 pm
Setanta wrote:

I absolutely love it when I see that I have gotten so far under your skin, Set...that you get into one of these things.

But at no point have I ever stated that every "assertion" is a guess.

I have said that every "belief" is a guess...and that not every guess is a belief. Fact is, not every assertion is a belief either.

But if someone wants to "assert" that the entire cosmos is god...the person is indulging in defining what GOD is...not making a belief about the unknown.

You really do allow me to get under your skin, don't you! I love it. And I cannot tell you how happy I am that you are not smart enough to keep it hidden. Thanks, Set. I love ya buddy.

How are your silly blind guesses about there being no gods going?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 06:06 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Setanta, well put:
"Another instance in which someone's insistence that there is a deity would not constitute a "guess" would be one in which the person making the assertion states that the cosmos itself is "god." This might be arguable, but it would be, once more, a case of definition, or identification, and not a guess."

This is close to my position, but my case the quotations marks around god are essential. The "divine" status I assign to the Cosmos represents both a definition and valuation of Reality as I experience it.

Go suck that up your opening, Frank.

Ahhh...the ethically challenged abetting the ethically challenged. What a gas!

Life is so good.
0 Replies