TURNER PRIZE. IS IT ART?

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 02:56 pm
Hi,

The turner prize winner is Tomma Abts this year.
If you dont know who that is then look at the other turner prize thread on here.

What I want to know is, (and why I have made a different thread to the existing one):
Peoples opinions on this.
Is this art? Do you like it? Do you think its good? What is your reaction?

Thank you very much pq xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 853 • Replies: 16
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 04:16 pm
Sure, it's art. I think most of them are pretty boring but some of them are kind of interesting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 04:24 pm
I probably posted that other thread. I'll have to go back and look at the work. I somewhat remember a yawn reaction on my part, but, sure, it's art.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 08:40 pm
PC, you ask three different questions: Is this art? Do you like it? Do you think its good?
I don't like to comment on what is or isn't art. That's a definitional matter subject to the meanings we make up and assign to the world.
The other two, do I like something and do I think it's good, overlap but are basically distinct. I think some art is "good", given the way the artworld cognoscenti respond to it, but I may not like it personally. And, rarely, I may like something that is not generally recognized as art. I myself may not even consider what I like as art--as in the case recently where I responded with intense aesthetic pleasure to a pattern of cracks on a sidewalk. (obviously I do not believe in "found art")
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 09:56 pm
JLNobody wrote:
as in the case recently where I responded with intense aesthetic pleasure to a pattern of cracks on a sidewalk. (obviously I do not believe in "found art")

Oh, I know what you mean. I still recall a particular pattern of cracked paint in a bathroom stall from probably about 10 years ago. Seriously!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 11:16 pm
Stuh, did the image appeal to you because of the way it "represented" something or because of its purely abstract (formal) qualities? (or both?)
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 12:00 am
It looked like a grinning fox's head, but of course had abstract qualities to it as well
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 12:10 am
Tomma Abts' paintings are among those, I really like.

Which doesn't mean that I would buy them (if I had the money).
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 03:57 am
walter hindler: Why do you like them, what is it that makes you like them.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 11:59 am
I just googled Abts and found one picture of three sculpted "karioke" singers. I liked their emotional power (a bit like the few sculptures of Willem deKooning). I then saw three paintings that were purely decorative in the emotionally bland sense of the worst of Brice Marden's decorations.
I know I should have sampled more of Abts' work.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 12:47 pm
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
walter hindler: Why do you like them, what is it that makes you like them.

I really can't say it in a few words - it's for me an eye-catcher, something, I like to look at, ...

This is the link to her exhibition in Basel, which was the basis for the Turner prize.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 05:02 pm
Walter, her painting, "Noeme", is exquisite (almost religious). Thanks.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 05:31 pm
I liked the Ert one
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 03:52 am
hmm, ok,
well my opinion is, I don't actually like the images that she produces, but I like the motive behind them. The way that she sees the final outcome as a 'concentrate of the paintings underneath' I think thats a wonderfull idea, even if I don't like the image.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 07:30 am
These paintings don't do much for me; they look like exercises.
Josef Albers: Homage to the Square is so much more impressive to me.
When it comes to taste, anything goes.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 12:17 pm
I tend to agree, noinipo, but speaking of taste (which is the final word in art, indicating its profoundly subjective nature, or--culturally speaking--its inter-subjective nature), I prefer her Noeme to any of Albers "exercises."
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 02:20 pm
Agreed, it is a lovely design, very feminine. I feel that some artists paint for the public and applause and others paint for themselves. They are the more honest ones, and the poor ones, I believe.
0 Replies