WHO POSTED THIS FOR THE PUREST, p.1

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 04:11 pm
This game is similar to WHO POSTED THIS at
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8060&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
ORIGINAL GUIDELINES
I or some other member will provide you with a post taken from an individual's writings. This person may or may not be currently active. The quotes (posts) may also be taken from other web sites frequented by A2Kers. I believe we can select postings from our own threads. Hopefully, someone will comment on the legalities of quoting from other sites.

Your job is to identify the author of that post. Speculation is encouraged. In the event you are unable to name the individual, a clue will be provided.

The game is over when the correct author's name is posted by me or the presenter of the quote.

ADDITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR THIS FORMAT

1. Members who play will be expected to not use the query. These are folks who want to keep it a game. Looking for patterns in the clues, mistakes by the poster (me), or whatever tips you off.
2. There will be repeats of the authors of pass quotes, not the quotes.
3. Some members with fewer than 20 posts may be used. There will be a pattern to this...hope you figure it out before the others.
4. We will begin with groupings of ten quotes. Each quote will be handled as in the original game. However, after 10 quotes are used, there will be a period of downtime to regroup and accumulate new approvals by authors. During the original game, I found I did very little else with A2K.
5. Sometimes, I will announce ahead of time the hour you can expect the next clue or quote.
6. Each grouping of ten quotes will constitute one thread. The new game will be called WHO POSTED THIS FOR PUREST, p. 1. The next thread will be called WHO POSTED THIS FOR PUREST, p. 2.

You are encouraged to recommend quotes of unusual humor, clarity, wisdom and such. Send them re PM. I will confirm their use with the author. Of course, if their quote is used, you would not participate in solving that one quote. It is acceptable to recommend your own quotes; however, our perceptive members will probably note the game in which you have withdrawn your participation. It is also appropriate to ask other members to submit quotes to me, especially folks who are new to A2K. This activity tends to build communal feelings; so, introduce us to the new folks.

Let the game begin.

No. 1 of 10............ WHO POSTED THIS?

Quote:
Being the conspiracy theorist that I am, I suspect that this campaign of punishment such as destruction of their CDs and boycotting concerts is really the work of one or two (maybe both) factions.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Sony Corporation has a hand in the fanning of the flames in retribution for the court case the Dixie Chicks won against them for non-payment of royalty fees. The other faction would be all those guys out there who got their egos bruised by a group of women making it big in what is mostly a male-dominated industry. Combine the marketing powerhouse of Sony, bruised male egos, and women intelligently speaking their minds and you have a recipe for overblown theatrics.

Personally, no matter what their views are, I'm impressed by the fact that they are so much aware of what is going on outside the world of entertainment. So many entertainers are so self-involved in their own little world and inarticulate it is embarrassing to hear them open their mouths just to ask for a glass of water.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,811 • Replies: 109
No top replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:24 pm
Clue: insect
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:05 pm
Clue: It's not margarine.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:06 pm
Butterfly . . . yer clues make it too easy, Boss . . .

Love yer rose . . .
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:24 pm
Only for the thinkers Setanta. Smile However, you did not give the correct name.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:41 pm
Clue:
Quote:
an entrapping device or situation
from the refdesk.com dictionary.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:57 pm
Clue: Location: Sacramento, CA
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:03 pm
Butrflynet
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 04:25 pm
E V AAAAAAAAAAAA..... THE CORRECT ANSWER IS BUTRFLYNET.

No. 2 of 10..............WHO POSTED THIS?

Quote:
Wow - this Dear Diary is a lot busier than the ones we had on abuzz!

I'm feeling perkier today than I have for a week - maybe something to do with catching up on sleep, but I suspect that calling someone last night had an effect, too.

This is an ex-girlfriend (from 8 years ago!) who I haven't spoken to in ages - she's now married and expecting her second baby - I haven't seen her in over 3 years.

I've been meaning to call her for a long time and catch up, so it was strange to say, "Hi [C], it's ____" and have her respond as if I'd seen her last week. We'll probably meet sometime soon and see how life is for each other.

It was really good to have that instant acceptance, particularly as I was feeling very "blanked" by the woman I want to date, who hasn't returned my call.

It's strange to share all this online, isn't it? I'm not even looking for answers, just writing it down because it feels good to do so.

Good luck with the working week, the week of study, leisure, clearing snow or looking after home and kids - whatever - I wish you the best!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 07:31 pm
Clue: Forensic Accountant
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 12:54 am
Clue:
Quote:
I love the warmth as well as the joy of debate on this site.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 02:10 am
Kitchenpete
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 04:39 am
OK, OK, i typed "butterfly" rather than "butrflynet" -- i still got it in two clues, which i still consider to have been obvious . . .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 05:25 am
Yes, I agree with Super G - it's Kitchenpete!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:31 am
THE CORRECT ANSWER IS KITCHENPETE.

TO YOU NEW FOLKS, NO QUERIES ALLOWED. THIS IS FOR THE GAMERS. BY THE WAY, WHERE IS BILL?

No. 3 of 10.................WHO POSTED THIS?

Quote:
...I will look forward to an exegesis of Cartesian existentialism. Hmmm. Maybe I don't want to know. But I know Decartes and I know Sartre. So I am listening.

I live day to day wondering what I will discover that is new. My hopes in a faith-based religion have long since washed up on the shore. I know and understand and believe that most human beings on this planet need something to get them through the days -- days that are totally unlike the days that most of us on this continent wake up to each morning.

I read the Science pages of the NY Times and ponder the controversy amongst different world systems in astrophysics and astononomy. Well, it all comes down to: What system of composition or creation of this planet tells us how to live our lives each day? How do we make our decisions -- yes or no -- in moral matters. Is philosophy a very practical matter, after all?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:39 am
...thinking...
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 01:57 pm
Mac, I see....I have confused my games(threads)

Clue:
Quote:
I am a woman of a certain age, not too young, not too old.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 02:58 pm
Clue:
Quote:
I love reading, cooking, opera and ballet, fly-fishing, and travel. I will pack up at a moment's notice and join you on a trip to anywhere.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 04:58 pm
Karateka... er, ah ......KARA
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 05:52 pm
THE CORRECT ANSWER IS KARA.

No. 4 of 10.....................WHO POSTED THIS?

Quote:
Apparently the people involved in committing such atrocities have allowed themselves to be controlled by the mob. Where thay no longer feel personally responsible for the actions they perform. Naturally this does not absolve them in the eyes of everyone else. However I think it's the ability of the human mind to believe that "this is happening to someone else" and "I am not responsible for this" that are the overriding factors. The people involved seem to believe that as long as they are protected by their 'superiors' and that their superiors are responsible then they are committing no wrong or doing what "has to be done". Later on of course when they have been removed from the influence and are fully human again they have varying degrees of remorse for their actions. At the time of the events they have surrendered their human responsibilities for the 'good' of the group they are with.

As far as I can tell 'good' and 'evil' have nothing to do with it. As for the concept of sin, that depends on where you stand.
0 Replies