'God' references are removed from movies on airlines

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 12:30 pm
So much for God and country, at least during some in-flight showings of the Oscar-nominated movie "The Queen." That's because all mentions of God are bleeped out of a version of the film given to some commercial airlines. In-flight viewers of the film at one point heard "(Bleep) bless you, ma'am," as one character spoke to the queen.

It was the mistake of an overzealous and inexperienced employee. The rookie censor was told to edit out all profanities -- including any blasphemy. So the new censor mistakenly bleeped out each time a character said "God," instead of just when used as part of a profanity.

Fortunately, at no time in the original film is the common phrase "God save the queen" spoken or else passengers from the United Kingdom might have been royally irritated to hear "bleep" invoked to save Her Majesty.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 766 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 05:50 am
What do you mean "so much for God and country"? I thought the USA had separation of Church and State guaranteed in the Constitution. A good thing, that I wish my own country had.

I would rather not watch a film at all than watch it censored like that. Typical of the company to blame an inexperienced employee, who should have been given sufficiently clear instructions. It only makes me want to never fly in a US plane. Air France does not censor its movies. And they are more intelligent than Hollywood or Brit crap.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 06:08 am
Contrex- I am sick and tired of explaining this to Americans, who should know, but as someone from France, you would not be familiar with this.

In the US Constitution, the first ten amendments to that document is known as "The Bill of Rights". The first amendment states:

Quote:
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

For some strange reason, some Americans believe that "separation of church and state" as implied in the amendment, has to do with anything and everything that happens in the US. It doesn't. It has to do with Congress, the legislative body, and the fact that they cannot create laws creating a religion, or force people legally to follow a certain religion.

It has absolutely nothing to do with private enterprise, or relations between individuals.........................and airlines. The airlines were perfectly within their rights to remove the "god" from the film.

I think that what they did was idiotic, but it had nothing to do with separation of church and state.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 06:36 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Contrex- I am sick and tired of explaining this to Americans, who should know, but as someone from France, you would not be familiar with this.

I am a British citizen living in France. France has has separation of church and state since 1909, but Britain has an official State Church.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 06:44 am
We have an offical state church, it's called the National Football League.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 06:13 pm
contrex wrote:
What do you mean "so much for God and country"? I thought the USA had separation of Church and State guaranteed in the Constitution. A good thing, that I wish my own country had.

I would rather not watch a film at all than watch it censored like that. Typical of the company to blame an inexperienced employee, who should have been given sufficiently clear instructions. It only makes me want to never fly in a US plane. Air France does not censor its movies. And they are more intelligent than Hollywood or Brit crap.

Don't worry The God and country - was simply the title of the article.
0 Replies