Debate over working freelance for a corporation

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 12:14 pm
Sunrock wrote:
However, when my friend raised this morality issue it set into motion some grave, internal insecurities I've been grappling with for a long time, and it lead me to believe that our friendship was a sham. A sham I tell you. When the foundation of a friendship becomes shaken, among other life challenges, a sadness takes over.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Girls are funny.

While my best friend might suggest that perhaps I should just taking a job sucking children's blood; I don't think I'd question our friendship over it. My sister would lay the guilt on something severe in an attempt to dissuade me, but why would I hold it against her? Girls are funny.

As for the dilemma at hand: You sound legitimately excited to get such a job, regardless of the subject matter. Good for you! Run with it. You're the only one paying your bills. Off set it by participating in a Stop Smoking Charity Event if it makes you feel better... or don't. People who are stupid enough to smoke (me) only have ourselves to blame. I wouldn't feel compelled to turn down a good job because some people don't want to take responsibility for their own detrimental decisions.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 01:28 pm
strawberry333 wrote:
I can see the argument for both sides.
I live in DC too by the way, and it IS expensive!

You need to decide how you feel about it, and what you think is right.

I think if you felt securely about your decision, you wouldn't have any problem defending your stance to your friend, and standing up for yourself. Challenge her statements, and provide your view on the situation. A little disagreement on issues between friends isn't the worst thing.

Thanks for your response, I already know how I feel about it-- the money is excellent. If you look at Cliff Hanger's response you'll see he gets to the heart of what's bothering me.

And, this is a big disagreement.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 02:37 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Sunrock wrote:
However, when my friend raised this morality issue it set into motion some grave, internal insecurities I've been grappling with for a long time, and it lead me to believe that our friendship was a sham. A sham I tell you. When the foundation of a friendship becomes shaken, among other life challenges, a sadness takes over.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Girls are funny.

While my best friend might suggest that perhaps I should just taking a job sucking children's blood; I don't think I'd question our friendship over it. My sister would lay the guilt on something severe in an attempt to dissuade me, but why would I hold it against her? Girls are funny.

As for the dilemma at hand: You sound legitimately excited to get such a job, regardless of the subject matter. Good for you! Run with it. You're the only one paying your bills. Off set it by participating in a Stop Smoking Charity Event if it makes you feel better... or don't. People who are stupid enough to smoke (me) only have ourselves to blame. I wouldn't feel compelled to turn down a good job because some people don't want to take responsibility for their own detrimental decisions.

You know the #$@% what? It just dawned on me, by re-reading what I said and by your response.

I know what's going on here with her. Because, why in the mother of #@$% would she be so callous?

She's competitive. And I think the prospect of my making $400 a pop for an article gets under her a bit.

Why else would she be so weird?
0 Replies