Is Experience the Only Path to True Understanding?

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:19 am
Wow, dlowan! Lots to chew on there. Some excellent points.

Just briefly, your last paragraph reminds me of something else I wanted to clarify -- the point is less homophobia (though that's part of it) as the element of physical danger. I think it is fair to say that, generally, men feel less physically threatened by a woman, even a strong woman, than by a stronger man.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:39 am
I like to think that I can learn from the mistakes of others, without having to make them myself. But to be honest, I haven't been doing a very good job of learning from my own mistakes.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:31 am
hmm.. Ok, this may take things off course here a bit but in the end I'll try to bring it back around to the subject at hand.

There have been quite a few thought provoking (and sometimes heated) threads on A2K in the last few weeks concerning several topics all related to human interaction. There have been threads about racism/race relations, The Supreme Court ruling on Sodomy and the new proposed Constitutional Amendment limiting marriage to heterosexual couples, men/women, religion, etc, etc..

Anyway, Craven's comment:
Quote:
It bothers me that such hyperbole is used about men while if we generalize about women it's discrimination.

crystalized a part of the "heat" for me and, when put into the context of all of the discussions, perhaps explains something... larger? different? (I dunno.. Not sure of the right word there.) I don't think this is what Craven had in mind but maybe he feels a tinge of it too.. Only he can say for sure but...

There is hyperbole of course. Hyperbole on all sides in each any every one of these discussions. But it seems that hyperbole is ok (and I mean "generally accepted" here) as long as in the grand scheme of things it is directed at hetero, white males (that could probably be qualified even farther to add "theist" too). In effect, the classic hetero "WASP" male is to blame (probably to harsh of a word but I guess it gets the idea across) for everything "bad" or "evil" in the world and at the same time if that hetero, male WASP says pretty much anything about anyone else they are labeled as misogynist, racist, "religious fanatic", intolerant, etc.. in short order.

The basic premise seems to be that if you are the classic hetero, male WASP you are just supposed to sit there, shut up and accept blame for every social ill whether you actually had any responsibility for any of the issues or not. You are at fault for everyone else misfortune and you can't possibly understand anyone else';s problems/issues. You are at fault for how businesses act, the laws in effect, how everyone else feels about themselves, etc.. Of course there are things that some hetero, males WASPs ARE responsible for doing but it just seems to be a bit of a dumping ground for the world's problems. The hetero, male WASP is supposed to accept blame while others are allowed a free pass because.. well.. because they aren't.

Now, some people will of course see this post as complaining on my part. But it isn't a complaint at all. It's just life. It's another thing that people can't "know" unless they've been there. It's is just another frustration very much like the frustration many other people feel about other issues.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:51 am
I ain't no hetero-WASP, but I feel the same way. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:52 am
I mean, accept what life offers you - to a certain extent. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:53 am
Interesting, Fishin'. I think I see what you're saying.

I'd like to comment more later, but quickly, as I've said, I think the accusation of hyperbole here was more hyperbolic than the supposed hyperbole. Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:16 am
Quickly: With great chagrin I note that I am the only person who used "busloads" here. I transplanted that word from another conversationa nd sozobe said half a bus. Not a full bus.

It is a very very relevant distinction to me.

Other quick notes:

I get what fishin' is saying as far as it relates to males. I don't get the WASP angle much as I see other ethnicities blames for sundry things more regularly than whites.

And I've got dlowans post saved in an email (I type long responses in my email so that my boss thinks I'm working :-) ).

Be back later.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:38 am
In this "busload" line of thought I can offer a brief anecdote that did permanent damage to my attitude toward men (including me);

Engaged in a tall office building, rather late one evening, I left my meeting, called an elevator, and when it arrived stepped in; at first, I barely noticed another occupant in the car, but as we had a long way to go down, my glance occassionally fell on my co-rider, a young woman, and it became apparent to me that she was quite agitated, and uncomfortable. Suddenly I realized, she was "afraid" of me; here I was, an unknown male, late at night in a closed box, from which there could be no escape, if I had less than admirable intentions, and she was frightened; OF ME!
I immediately became violently angry at "MEN", that they had the timerity to do this to me, to paint me with the same brush as the worst of them; wow!
I later managed to convert my annoyance into the realization that the offense was not enacted upon me, but on the poor woman, stranded with "one of them" on an elavator late at night, and it made me crazy that she had to be afraid, and there was nothing I could do about it!

Learning from experience is merely one factor in the myriad of ways we have of coming, rightly or wrongly to realizations about the nature of this world in which we attempt to live mildly, care for others, and do no harm.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:50 am
and I offer this seperately; as it has no place with the foregoing (I hope);

Understanding the actions of males and females relative to the mating "dance" can diffuse somewhat the obnoxious behaviours involved;

In ape cultures the male will frequently "present" his genitals to a female as a kind of offer - are you interested? (He will also "present" to other males to elicit the proper shows of deference required within the heirarchy - it has no AC/DC intent). The female if so inclined will turn away, appearing demure, but actually offering her rear end as a diplay; a - "what do you think?" so to speak whereas "thinking" has nothing to do with any of it! If she is NOT so inclined she will probably run, fast, as he is not likely to take no for an answer.
The word "civilization" refers to a condition in which this behaviour is no longer applicable, ...........

doesn't it? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:01 pm
BGW,

I used to feel the way you described in teh first post.

I now offer no apologies for being male and offer no apologies for being lumped together with the type of males that I despise.

Later on I will write a satire justifying racism using the arguments the women here have used.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:54 pm
keep you posted; it's an a2k thing, you wouldn't understand, or "only" you would under...........
or, whatever Rolling Eyes
cheers!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 03:55 pm
On re-reading this, I wonder if it is the poor apes who have been most discriminated against on this thread - being generally, as far as I know, quite a gentle and civilised bunch, sexually!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 03:58 pm
Unlike dolphins, I might add!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:00 pm
Doesn't have the same ring, though, does it? "You make us sound like a bunch of dolphins!"

I guess we find the animalness of apes more embarrassing - being so close to 'em- male and female - and all...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:03 pm
I decided not to do a satire. For a few reasons.

dlowan wrote:

Craven - I think I understand your point of view, and I was somewhat uncomfortable with the example, on a number of levels (although, in a differing form, I have used a similar one myself, on occasion) - however, what IS different, generally, for men and women, is that it is more common for a woman to be ogled - by whatever percentage of men it may happen to be - on a bus than it is for men.

I wonder if the comparative rarity is what makes men mind it less, or if it's just the assosiation with danger that you mention.

dlowan wrote:

Also, for many women there is an implicit threat inherent in the experience of being ogled by men on buses, that is not, generally, there for men ogled by women - that of having an ogler - or more than one, alight from the bus when you do, follow you, and sexually assault or terrorise you. In fact, this does not happen often..

for many men there is an implicit threat inherent in the experience of being watched by men on buses - that of having a watcher - or more than one, alight from the bus when you do, follow you, and assault or rob you. In fact, this does not happen often.

dlowan wrote:

In reality, most women are, I believe, constantly subliminally, or consciously, aware that it MAY happen. To most of us, it HAS happened - at some level, to some degree.

How people react to the violent minority is what I'll draw attention to in a bit.

dlowan wrote:

You wrote, very well, very horrifyingly, of various attacks upon you. Especially vivid was the account you wrote of the time you wore the "wrong" football top, and were attacked for that. You wrote of blaming yourself for being so stupid, or innocent, of how you felt you could have walked faster, been wiser, whatever.

Actually it wasn't horrifying so much as funny. The shoe made my day and I was lucky not to lose my pants. I don't blame myself at all. I could have prevented it by taking off the jacket in the bus, and it was stupid not to do so but I felt like I was due for astounding stupidity and I almost got away with it. More on this later.

dlowan wrote:
I know, knowing you, that you are aware of the ridiculous, ignorant but horribly internalized wider societal context that gives sexual attacks a special horror - the exaggerated (for it is a universal response to trauma) "what did she/I do to deserve it/make it happen?" factor. Believe me, this IS a special factor in sexual assault. I KNOW this. I KNOW how loved ones, offenders, courts view this. It is the one area of criminal assault where the plaintiff is - almost universally, and almost regardless of age - guilty until proven innocent. I am sufficiently aware of law and justice to be aware that, as regards adults, it IS an especially fraught area of law, because sexual assault cruelly mimics acts undertaken in joy and love and delight. You know, I almost think this is a special burden for men/boys who have experienced sexual assault, since this is, traditionally, albeit wrongly, seen as something that ought to/does happen only to females. Insult added to injury.

I think it's horrible to hear people use the "she asked for it excuse". And while I'll readily acknowledge the "special factors" of sexual crime I'd like to debunk one of the fallacies here.

It's not only sexual crimes that generate the silly "asked for it" response. They are just uglier when we are talking about these crimes.

Every single person who heard that I was dumb enough to go through a throng of São Paulinos with a Corithians jacket said I was "asking for it".

Was I? Is wearing a jacket asking to be mobbed and assaulted? Is counting money in front of an ATM asking for it? Was I asking for it when I walked through a favela (slum) wearing clothes that would cost a year's salary for the inhabitants? In no way do I wish to defend the notion that women ask for and to some degree deserve the sexual assaults on them. I simply would like to point out that it is a common reaction.

Me wearing a Corinthians jacket in the midst of the rivals at their game was, indeed stupid, any Brazilian would tell you that you only have to repeat that 10 times to guarantee your death.

But does wearing the jacket make me responsible for being assaulted?

I am bringing this up because many arguments I have heard tried to ascribe this reaction to some insiduous male nature. Be it the tendency to view women as sexual objects or whatever.

I posit that they may come into play but that a quick glance at other areas of life will show that it is not unique to sexual assault.

After all, is a person walking in an alley in the middle of the night asking for it? Are they deserving of, say, a mugging?

That some say things like "what was she doing in his hotel room at 3 AM" and such is not necessarlity indicative of a gender related issue. Though it might be.

I will raise another issue in passing.

What about the succubus? We go on and on about the evil men perpetrate and the attitudes they have, but do women play any part in these attitudes? I hate when rappers call women bitches and hos. I really do. It has a horrible effect on society.

But it's not as simple as that. The succubus has lied about rape to frame celebrity. I am not talking about convictions in which I THINK it was a lie. I'm talking about women arrested because they were caught in this dastardly lie.

I'm talking about the Dallas Cowboys players who videotape their sex partners saying that it is consensual to avoid problems later on.

They also live with hangers-on who are a bunch of leeches. The females often use sex as a means to get close.

I bring this up not to try to villify women but to raise a pont that I think is important. Demeaning generalizations about women (such as "they are in it for the money") are not total fabrications. There are, indeed some who fit the bill.

Yet these generalizations play out quite differently. In my experience when women generalize about men it is far more "acceptable" than when men generalize about women. The negative stereotypes about men are fairgame as well (quick example: in advertising it's ok for guys to be painted as couch-potatoes and zombies, making light of their traditional "place". An ad raising the old saw about a woman's "place" being a kitchen would result in loss of testicles or some such).

It's true that there are some stereotypes that are used with little uproar about women.

On TV men are fat dumb and lazy while the woman is a nagging nuisance (think Simpsons, Family Guy...).

When women say taht men are all dogs or all pigs it is far more acceptable than when men generalize about women (in my experince).

dlowan wrote:

I think it is a little disingenuous of you to write about the putative ogling experience as though it would be experienced in the same way by the average man and woman. I believe it would not. I might add that, while it is not a typical experience for either sex, that "ogling" by whole busloads of men DOES occur - in incidences such as being passed by a bus full of male sporting teams, bucks' nights, drunk buses and such-like. It is generally an unpleasant experience.

Turnabout is fair play. What about busloads of theives of a certain race? What about people who are afraid of certain races?

Is the guy who crosses the street when he sees a black man right to do so?

What I am trying to say is that many people have had experiences involving violence. Some generalizations are more tolerated than others. A man who has suffered violence at the hand of a black man will not acceptably be able to generalize about black men and paint them in broad strokes as predatory in nature.

Yet women are permitted to do so about men.

dlowan wrote:

You will criticise me, I know, for moving from ogling to sexual assault - I know that we differ in seeing these as either "harmless enthusiasm vs aberrant/criminal behaviour" ( which I think is your belief - I accept that I may have misrepresented you) or as "differing extremes of the same spectrum" - (me).

Of course I will. When talking about ogling you are often thinking in terms of sexual assault and that is a big difference.

Some fool beeping his horn at a woman is not the same as sexual assault. Not in the least.

It would be like having a concersation about fearing black men, while one person is talking about avoiding black men out of a generalized prejudicial notion that they are predatory while the other is basing the conversation on a real predatory experience.

Sure sexual assault is related to sex. I think you denigrate sexual behaviours that are simply untoward by comparing them to the most heinous crimes. It's a leap that others might not be as willing to make and is, IMO, a horrible way to try to end untoward behavior.

Wanna know how I decided not to do those things?

I was in a car with a friend, I whistled at a girl walking by (which is something I'd never done) and my friend said "what do you think women think when you do that?". I thought, and was embarrassed.

Had she tried to compare me whistling at a woman to sexual assault (as you have done on more than one occasion) I'd be far less likly to listen. That is what I meant about the raging feminism. It often paints men as predatory in nature. It often forwards generalizations that are unacceptable in other scenarios.

Most of us guys have done something stupid to get a girl's attention. Most of us are not rapists and gulty of sexual assault either.

I am more than willing to agree that there is a connection. But to what degree are you willing to paint the untoward as heinous?

dlowan wrote:

(As an illustration, I added the following "similar" case) Not all slave owners tortured and abused their slaves. (I add for this post: Not all white people behaved with cruelty and insensitivity to black people in the USA prior to the passing of the various civil rights bills in the sixties. Not all white Australians treated Aboriginal people as subhuman.) However, to deny that there is an underlying structure in human consciousness that we call racism that allowed the sick few to do so, is, to me, a denial of reality and reason."

I never suggested that there was no such thing as gender discrimination. What I decry is the one-sided nature of such discussions.

In no way do I think men hold the lion's share of sexism. Just that our sexism has shaped history more so than the sexism of women. In the quest to end sexism the "raging feminists" like to paint broad strokes that leave them largely untouched.

dlowan wrote:

I have a problem here in that I do see appreciative/flirtatious looks and behaviour etc as both harmless and charming and, often, delightful - one of the loveliest forms of play between humans - and I find it difficult to define the exact moment this turns into something ugly,

So do some men. Some men are simply stupid. I posit that some of these simply stupid fellas might not be predatory but they sure help men get painted as such.

dlowan wrote:
however, I believe it does so well before the "sick" or criminal level is reached. I find it hard, as I said, to be absolutely accurate about this point - but I can tell you that the experience of being ogled is a horrid one, for most women, I venture to say, while the appreciative or flirtatious glance is a warm and positive one.

Sigh, this is very funny. DEFINE WARM!! LOL When you struggle to do so and think about the greater difficulty that some have in understanding such concepts then think of this.

How many men who flirt in an "ugly" manner are simply men who have not been able to define "warm". How many of those are criminal?

One of the key points in discussions between you and I is that you seem to think that the majority of men are sexual predators, if you don't it is at least the image you project with the incessant talk of the prevalance of this behaviour.

It would help me if you would try to put this in numbers. I have seen some rants "of Biblical proportions" from you about how common this sexual agression is in men.

Can you quantify this? 1 in 10? 5 in 10? I ask because if I had to guess I'd say you think about 2 in 10 or more. But in conversations I have wondered if you think upwards of 8.

dlowan wrote:

Yes - I can understand that being made to feel like one of "a pack of predators" is a horrible and wounding and unfair experience.

I think so as well. Yet you claim these generalized strokes of the brush are valid because of my lacking experience in being the prey.

dlowan wrote:

I suspect, upon reading this, that I have been guilty of doing that very thing, and I am sorry for it. I agree with you that this is not a helpful, or fair, way to proceed. I do not THINK this way, though I know that I have FELT this, at times, when I have been very wounded and angry - and it may well have become part of my emotional landscape in a way that is not always fully visible to me.

I have been physically wounded by certain races. I don't spend a great deal of energy trying to paint them as predatory. Again, i posit that denigrating men is much more tolerated than almost anything. I guess it can be counted as an extreme edge of the feminist movement. But it is what has turned me off feminism and onto gender equality.

dlowan wrote:

We differ a little around the "a few truly dastardly men" thing - I think the behaviour is far more common than you admit it to be - and doubtless far less common than I FEEL it to be.

Yes yes, and your "feelings" that you plainly recognize as likely being false are harmful and demeaning. If I were to exaggerate the criminal behavior of other demographic groups how would you react?

When men exaggerate the negative behaviors of women how do you react?

dlowan wrote:

Craven, I am interested - what is your analysis of why these young men spoke to YOU?

Brazilians call each other cuckolds all the time.

dlowan wrote:
I have spoken elsewhere, very bitterly, of being harassed by men on the street who, on becoming aware that I was, in fact, with a male partner, have apologised not to me, but to HIM. What is your analysis of that?

My analysis is that the "harasser" did not think himself to be behaving untowardly, until he saw that he was flirting with a woman who was "taken". He had respect for that.

The underlying difference is that he thought he was flirting and you thought he was harrassing.

Not haveing been there I will not say whether it was the altogether too common case of the man not knowing the lines or whether it was the altogether too common case of making the gracesless seem criminal.

dlowan wrote:

Yes, I know you notice these things, and are disgusted by them - every man I have as a friend and colleague feels the same way. It is actually good and helpful to know that you and other men are aware of how awful these kinds of experiences are, and that they do not trivialise them - because I have been in many situations where they were trivialised and seen as harmless and I was seen as stupid, or even crazy to object to them. (And not just by men.) I am glad that things in many people's consciousnesses have shifted.

I posit that hyperbole trivializes. Seeing the connections you make between innocuous bahavior and the most heinous acts I am not surprised that some have reacted that way. It's like "crying wolf" when it's only an idiot.

I recognize that it's offten impossible to tell the difference. It's a huge complicating factor.

But fear has wrought hyperbole, IMO.

dlowan wrote:

When many black people have similar experiences within a country, we may be looking at racism, no? Would we be wanting to argue that we cannot connect those experiences?

Sigh. Many people have been robbed by minorities. Is it fair for them to connect these experiences and make jokes like: "What do you call an abortion clinic for immigrants? Crime stoppers!!"

I am aware of the prevalence, I disagree with the gerenalized attitudes that would not be acceptable in any other situations.

dlowan wrote:
I am not denying, by the way, that, whether on an individual level or a "movement" level, there is the possibility, and very likely the actuality, of over-generalization and hyperbole.

Recognizing the hyperbole would be the first step. Helping eliminate generalizations would be a nice second.

dlowan wrote:
I find myself wondering if such is not, to some extent, necessary at times?

Me too. I wonder if making hyperbolic generalizations about how minorities are a bunch of criminals would help reduce the crime. Rolling Eyes

dlowan wrote:

I can most easily see this in relation to being a white person listening to discussions about racism. I have said elsewhere about how this makes me feel - "I didn't do that - I am not like that!" However, I accept that I AM partly like that, and I benefit from the people who DID do that - just as I benefit from other injustices in the world..

Thing is, gender equality to me means the correction of the wrongs that sexism has perpetrated. In a less sexist society I do not think that the heinous men would dissapear.

The fight for gender equality is something I support unconditionally.

I think that if an extreme is needed (force the entry of females in the ole boy's clubs) then it has merit.

I see no benefit in the predatory paint brush. I see this as two separate issues. One is gender inequality. I think this is quite prevalent.

The other is monstrocity. When I say that I like an extreme edge in social change I am talking about forcing equality. I am not talking about increasing the acceptable level of generalization about men.

I know much of the generalizations come from painful experience, but how willing are you to allow men to use their painful experiences to generalize and denigrate women? Is the man who has suffered pain at the hands of a "gold-digger" justified in propagating that perception about women?

dlowan wrote:

Craven de Kere wrote:
But recently I realized that I am far more willing to accept an extreme edge in other social movements.

So now I wonder about the questions this topic raises. If you think it's hard for a man to empathize with the ogling how well do you think women empathyze with the fact that men have to listen to them painted as busloads of apes. Predatory in nature (I try to understand the size difference's effect on women but a reverse comparson is also relevant. How much does the size and strength difference and the criminal behavior of few generalize into greater suspicion of predatory intent for us all?) and then to have the homophobia angle exploited (in my personal experience women are alltogether too willing to toy with male homophobia, I don't really blame the because it must look kinda funny, but it's patronizing to any man who is not as backward as the broad brush paint).

I try to empathyze, I try to think about the truly horrific experiences that some women have suffered at the hands of men. I think of the inequality for women throughout history.

I still find it hard to accept the generalizations. Especially when some men work so hard to avoid the generalizations that are unfair to women.

Fighting the negative connotation of promiscuity for women, the uphill battle to rid society of the unfairness of the words stud and slut.

Language itself is discriminatory, attitudes are patronizing. There is much progress to be made for equality. When we have trouble understanding we have to fight the urge to ascribe, in generalized terms, the lack of logic, mercurial and fickle nature of emotion to things that confuse us.

With all that is done and that needs to be done to erase stereotypes and discrimination of the sexes it's hard to see busloads of oglers as a serious question. It's a brush that dips itself in the darkest ink and paints with the widest swath. It's a pity that the obscene and crminal behavior of the minority is the characterization we are supposed to attempt to understand is a perfect example of generalized hyperbole.

But like I said I am wondering of I react poorly to the more extreme edge of feminism and it is sad. In nations such as Japan and Latin nations feminism was an ideal I held highly while in nations with greater gender equality such as America there are elements that turn me off.

Is this an experience issue? Will the generalizations about men become more understandable if I were to walk the proverbial mile?

Craven, I am continuing to think about what you have said.

I have nearly written a novel, as it is - and it is very late - and I am sure nobody will wade their way through all the verbiage to this point anyway!

I have already attempted to address the connection between the "busload of oglers" and the darker stuff. I doubt that we will ever see eye to eye on that - I hope our eyes can meet despite that. It has been good to see a little more clearly through yours on this issue. I have appreciated the content of your post greatly.

Deb, tonight I think I understand my dillema.

I recognize the prevalence of untoward sexual behavior and even the threatening variety. Quantifying it into numbers we'd probably disagree on exact prevalence but this is not my quibble.

My quibble, as I understand it now, is that the valid issues of gender equality are often confused with the right to generalize and stereotpe men in hyperbolic fashion.

When I called myself a feminist it was usner the definistion of forwarding ideals of equality and erasing the negative stereotypes that men hold about women.

It was not to turn around and use the most dastardly of one group to generalize and propagate stereotypes about the other group.

It's telling that many men, myself included, have almost felt guilty for being a man, and causing the suspicion and fear that men cause. All because the criminal behaviour of the monority becomes to some degree a stereotype for the majority.

dlowan wrote:

(PS: Er, Craven, could you explicate, at some point, what you mean by: "then to have the homophobia angle exploited (in my personal experience women are alltogether too willing to toy with male homophobia, I don't really blame the because it must look kinda funny, but it's patronizing to any man who is not as backward as the broad brush paint)."? I am totally bamboozled by that comment!)

The homophobia thing was from sozobe's example. She wanted to add the element of fear so she used the homophobia (fear) to do so.

She didn't choose "big strong women" but chose leering homosexuals instead. Not a real biggie.

P.S.

How many of the threatening advances are simply unwanted ones? I once asked my sister why she was angered by a man's advances when another man had done far worse. She answered that one of the advances was desired and the other wasn't.

I wondered how the poor blokes were supposed to tell.

These are the reaons I never make an advance. Ever.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:33 pm
Oh boy.

A lot to respond to...

To try to clarify WHAT to respond to, with both Fishin' and Craven, may I first ask where was my hyperbole and where was my generalization?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:45 pm
While I wait for that...

If I were one of many white people on a bus when a single, young, black high schooler got on, and looked around uneasily before sitting down, I would seek to send "don't worry" signals in whatever way I could (eye contact and a fleeting smile before going back to what I was reading, perhaps), and would not take his discomfort personally. If that same person later spoke about how uncomfortable he felt, I wouldn't say, "Well, you shouldn't have, I wasn't going to do anything to you, and I bet most of the people on the bus wouldn't, either!" I'd sit there and listen.

What is being characterized as sit down, shut up, and accept blame, I think is more properly a request to listen respectfully, across the board.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:10 pm
soz,

I don't think you used hyperbole at all. you were spot on when you said the hyperbole was on my part.

I was thinking about that a while ago on my way home.

At what point does a valid gripe turn into hyperbolic bashing? You clearly didn't say busloads and in my haste I was hyperbolic. I said as much a while back and my last post is a actually about the more general issue of the "male bashing" I was whining about.

Thing is, I repeatedly dennounced letting hyperbole detract from a valid gripe and on my way home I was thinking about how ironic it was that I did just that.

Anywho, in case it wasn't clear the last time I hyperbolized :-) and read busloads where there were only half busloads.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:13 pm
Oh, you were clear, and sorry for not acknowledging that. I've written and then decided not to post a few responses to this thread, and one of them thanked you for clarifying that... forgot I didn't post the thing. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:19 pm
Oh, I wondered cause you were asking to have it pointed out and I think fishin' was just commenting on my rant (and prolly didn't mean to imply any hyperbowl on yer part), which began with that 'H' word. :-)
0 Replies