Is Experience the Only Path to True Understanding?

LibertyD

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:52 pm
I agree that each person creates their own experience, but I don't agree that you can truely know what something is like until you've actually experienced it. It may end up being different for various people who have had the same experience, but there is always that sense of reality that can't be achieved by simply imagining it. Like, in my previous example, most women are encouraged to imagine being attacked in various ways so that they can in turn imagine repelling that attack (which is supposed to help). This is a productive exercise in imagination, because it happens to a lot of women (and men) throughout their lives and it's something worth thinking about. But the actual experience of having someone pointing a rifle at your chest is *far* different from imagining it. You might be able to increase your heart rate by thinking about it, but wait until it happens. Then your instincts are truely in charge (influenced by the advice given by self-defense instructors, I'd love to add -- the advice did end up helping). And then there are similar experiences that you wouldn't have thought about previously -- like the time weirdness that Craven and I were talking about. I never experienced it before, and haven't since. I can't explain it.

The point is that while empathy is worthwhile and necessary, when it comes right down to it -- no matter how hard you've thought about something or felt it or imagined it -- until it actually affects your life, you haven't *experienced* it. 9/11, for example, affected all of us in some way, but unless we were in NYC or DC at the time, we didn't experience it fully -- and so we can't fully understand it's effects -- not in the way that someone living in one of those places can.

Or, using Sozobe's deafness as an example (hope you don't mind, Soz) I can try to imagine what it's like to be extra vigilant because I don't hear things, and I can imagine what it would be like to have people treat me like they had to physically exaggerate every syllable they spoke so that I would understand, but until that actually happened, I don't truely understand. I can stop the annoyance of putting up with that because I'm only imagining it -- I'm not really experiencing it. As a hearing person, I can change the response to this experience to fit myself -- but because I can hear, I don't truely know how I would respond as a deaf person. And therefore, no matter what I read about the psychology of living with deafness, I can't experience it unless I suddenly become deaf.

I don't think that not being able to identify with every single person's difficulties in life is a hindrance -- it's a learning tool. So I could learn from your strange experience without going through it myself and vice-versa -- and even if we couldn't say that we actually *knew* what the experience was like, we could at least *try* to know. In most cases, that's the best you can do -- unless you're a masochist.

This is beginning to tie into a thread I started about counselling the grieving -- which so far has ended up with a discussion about the shrines involved with today's tragedies etc. Is that out of empathy or the true experience of grief? Is there pressure being put upon us in today's society to truely feel *everyone's* grief even if we're remote from it? Is it un-PC if we can't honestly say that we identify with everyone's suffering/difficulties/whatever? Why do we put that pressure on ourselves? Why can't we just try to learn and try to understand without lying to ourselves about the experience just so we can say "Oh...I know exactly how you feel."
Why can't the effort to honestly try to understand (and therefore, only empathise) be enough?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:17 pm
Interesting interesting interesting...

Really enjoying your responses, everyone.

Your last lines are very powerful, LibertyD. (And no, of course, I don't mind at all.)

Noddy's comments were very interesting to me, especially about generalizing from what experiences you have had. Also CodeBorg's comments about "thought experiments".

I have used the following thought experiment with many men. It's not terribly original, but it's always interesting to see the effects. Somehow the topic of ogling comes up, and I talk about how much I used to hate it, and how I hated that I had to either choose to wear baggy clothes et al or dress the way I wanted, maybe even to attract a guy that I liked, and put up with the ogling. Men are often (not always) supremely unsympathetic. "Hey, I'd love it if all kinds of women were checking me out!"

To those men I say; OK, imagine this scenario -- I'm on a city bus, my stop isn't for another half an hour or so, and roughly half the passengers are men who are ogling in one way or another. Got it? OK, now insert yourself into that situation. You're imagining hot women ogling you, right? OK. Now, you're in that situation -- but it's all gay men. Some are significantly bigger and stronger than you. How do you feel?

This doesn't always work, but it often does.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:22 pm
I also really liked CodeBorg's point about how one implements experience. Experience in and of itself does not guarantee any kind of understanding.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:23 pm
LOL...that's great. A lot of guys seem to have a hard time distinguishing ogling women from ogling gay guys -- it must be some sort of hetro-self-preservation mechanism included with the testosterone.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:25 pm
Yeah, I agree. Experience doesn't necessarily mean understanding. Complicated subject you've brought up here, Sozobe! Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:30 pm
I'm gonna stay on that bus for ten round trips. Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:31 pm
With the big strong gay men ogling you and edging closer?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:34 pm
What kind of understanding are we after?

I could be right there by the WTC on 9/11 and it doesn't make me understand what it's like to be at the WTC on 9/11.

Everyone's experience of the event is different, and if someone claims they know because they were there, it creates a dangerous situation of presumption and arrogance. Every person, and every experience, is different and unique so I have to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. What was *this* particular moment like for *you*?

Also, being at the WTC on 9/11 does not give understanding about the political situation, the causes or national reaction, or what's going around the world. Watching the towers fall, I would not say "Ah, now I understand". I would just freak out and have my own experience, and observe the experience of a few other people. Understanding is far greater than that.

Interesting ideas, back and forth... :-)

(LibertyD, should I LOL and mention how women don't understand certain things, and it must be merely because of their mind-games, shallow egos, lack of empathy or all that estrogen? I'd rather not go there -- because I don't believe it, and blame-games are rarely productive. No biggie, I know you mean it lightly, but I still cringe at jokes about men, same as jokes about black people).
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:52 pm
CodeBorg wrote:

(LibertyD, should I LOL and mention how women don't understand certain things, and it must be merely because of their mind-games, shallow egos, lack of empathy or all that estrogen? I'd rather not go there -- because I don't believe it, and blame-games are rarely productive. No biggie, I know you mean it lightly, but I still cringe at jokes about men, same as jokes about black people).

CB, I apologize if I've offended you, and yes, I meant my jokes lightly. I love men, testosterone and all. Also, I usually agree with your well-thought out and wise posts.

I understand what you're saying when you speak of someone who experienced a specific horror first-hand but still did not understand it. And I'm suddenly self-conscious of any arrogance that may come from any sort of example given, but I still stand that one can only understand if the experience is personal. The understanding may not come for long periods of time, but it is still different than standing by for the press clips. I don't think that this is a bad thing -- it's just the way it is. Frankly, I hope that I never truely understand what it's like to have a plane explode above my head, or to know what it's like to have a parent die (something I've been fortunate enough to be sheltered from). I don't think it's a bad thing that I don't know these things -- it would only be bad if I blew them off and didn't at least try to empathise with those who *have* experienced those things.

I just see that there seems to be a trend to want to be able to know *exactly* what a certain experience was like, or to identify with a victim even if they are worlds apart from you -- and I think it's a lie to do that. And in that regard, I think it's disrespectful to try and pretend that you know someone else's experience -- even if it's on CNN. It also goes against learning -- how can you learn from a story if you immediately say that you identify rather than admit what you don't know?

You can learn from a victim who doesn't yet understand, even. If they've experienced something that you haven't, even if they haven't fully processed it yet, you can learn from them and gain much more (I hope) than from just imagining that you know what they are going through.

Peace, brother! Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:00 pm
Re: Is Experience the Only Path to True Understanding?
sozobe wrote:
Is experience the only path to true understanding?

Yes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:03 pm
LibertyD wrote:
Experience doesn't necessarily mean understanding.

Whether or not any individual can gain understanding from their experience is of course problematic--that "true understanding" (by which i take to mean understanding human nature and the human experience of life, judging of what Sozobe writes at this stie) is only to be gained from experience, however, none will ever convince me otherwise.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:14 pm
I don't get your trick soz. If I were ogled by a busload by people of any variety I'd be surprised. It would be an odd experience and probably more interesting than my average bus ride.

You make the men sound like a pack of predators. I understand a bit of it (though I think a "busload is quite an exagerration, I have been on many a bus and the oglers were always in the minority.

That being said I think I can empathyze with the ogle complaints. I think much of it is fueled by some truely dastardly men and that you generalze very much.

I have seen busloads of people stick their body out of the bus (qualifier: busloads of youth) windows and yell at me and my girlfriend "Your girlfriend looks tasty cuckold!" (in Portuguese, of course).

My girlfriend hated riding on a bus because occasionally a pervert would rub up against her.

At a crowded bus stop (I'm talking the main avenue of Brazil right after work, easily over 50 people) men have pulled out their privates and said disgusting things. I had two other friends that had a car drive by with a man exposing himself and when I heard it I noticed how much it worried them.

I could go on forever, there are so many of these stories that I have heard. Some far far worse than what I have mentioned here, and because of the fact that this happens with regularity I understand how many women generalize about this.

But ask every man if he does these things and you will see a starkly different statistical rate.

To be fair, ask everyone if they are a leader or a follower and you'll get more leaders than followers.

But it does highlight something interesting about experience.

How much does experience within an individual microcosm (as all our lives are) result into blatant hyperbole?

It's obvious that there is a huge difference in perception. One person here is talking in absolute terms. Busloads. Code, and I love him for this, manages to raise this every time without reacting the way I do.

It bothers me that such hyperbole is used about men while if we generalize about women it's discrimination.

But recently I realized that I am far more willing to accept an extreme edge in other social movements.

So now I wonder about the questions this topic raises. If you think it's hard for a man to empathize with the ogling how well do you think women empathyze with the fact that men have to listen to them painted as busloads of apes. Predatory in nature (I try to understand the size difference's effect on women but a reverse comparson is also relevant. How much does the size and strength difference and the criminal behavior of few generalize into greater suspicion of predatory intent for us all?) and then to have the homophobia angle exploited (in my personal experience women are alltogether too willing to toy with male homophobia, I don't really blame the because it must look kinda funny, but it's patronizing to any man who is not as backward as the broad brush paint).

I try to empathyze, I try to think about the truly horrific experiences that some women have suffered at the hands of men. I think of the inequality for women throughout history.

I still find it hard to accept the generalizations. Especially when some men work so hard to avoid the generalizations that are unfair to women.

Fighting the negative connotation of promiscuity for women, the uphill battle to rid society of the unfairness of the words stud and slut.

Language itself is discriminatory, attitudes are patronizing. There is much progress to be made for equality. When we have trouble understanding we have to fight the urge to ascribe, in generalized terms, the lack of logic, mercurial and fickle nature of emotion to things that confuse us.

With all that is done and that needs to be done to erase stereotypes and discrimination of the sexes it's hard to see busloads of oglers as a serious question. It's a brush that dips itself in the darkest ink and paints with the widest swath. It's a pity that the obscene and crminal behavior of the minority is the characterization we are supposed to attempt to understand is a perfect example of generalized hyperbole.

But like I said I am wondering of I react poorly to the more extreme edge of feminism and it is sad. In nations such as Japan and Latin nations feminism was an ideal I held highly while in nations with greater gender equality such as America there are elements that turn me off.

Is this an experience issue? Will the generalizations about men become more understandable if I were to walk the proverbial mile?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:27 pm
This teacher had "true" understanding. c.i.

>>> Subject: BLESS TEACHERS.
>>>
>>>
>>>>>> The Urinal's too High...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> A group of 3rd, 4th and 5th graders, accompanied by
>>>>>> two female teachers,
>>>>>> went on a field trip to the local racetrack to learn
>>>>>> about thoroughbred
>>>>>> horses and the sporting industry, but mostly to see
>>>>>> the horses.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> When it was time to take the children to the
>>>>>> bathroom it was decided
>>>>>> that the girls would go with one teacher and the
>>>>>> boys would go with the other.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The teacher assigned to the boys was waiting outside
>>>>>> the men's room when
>>>>>> one of the boys came out and told her that none of
>>>>>> them could reach the urinal.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Having no choice, she went inside, helped the boys
>>>>>> with their pants, and
>>>>>> began hoisting the little boys up one by one -
>>>>>> holding onto their
>>>>>> "weewees" to direct the flow away from their
>>>>>> clothes.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> As she lifted one, she couldn't help but notice that
>>>>>> he was unusually
>>>>>> well endowed. Trying not to show that she was
>>>>>> staring the teacher said,
>>>>>> "You must be in the 5th."
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "No ma'am," he replied. "I'm the jockey riding
>>>>>> Silver Arrow in the 4th
>>>>>> but thanks for the lift."
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:29 pm
LibertyD,
I'm sorry too, probably overstated my cringeing at "it must be some sort of hetro-self-preservation mechanism included with the testosterone."

I think it's clear everyone on this thread cares a great deal about women and men, and people of all races. That always need to be loud and clear, because we have to work on things together, encouraging and appreciating what's good, rather than any reflex blaming or lashing out.

Everything else I'm reading is a wonderful debate! When I said "if someone claims they know because they were there, it creates a dangerous situation of presumption and arrogance", I'm just referring to a fallacy some folks get -- where their experience tells the whole story, and no one else's form of knowledge is valid.

So, it depends on what kind of understanding we are after. To understand the political arena around 9/11, we should research the political arena, not the explosions. To understand *ones own* experience of a terrorist attack, we should look to our own experience of a terrorist attack. And even then, every source has it's limitations.

Some people who were at the WTC had very different experiences from others, so I can't take anyone's story as the global truth.

If somebody there thought the explosions were so cool, and the catastrophe was so dramatic and radical man, I would say the explosions themselves were not that way. It's not the explosions that were cool, radical and dramatic, but that *ones person's experience* of them. It would be presumptuous and arrogant for someone to think everyone's experience was the same.

That's all I meant. Every source of understanding needs to be seen for what it is.

Soz -- I appreciate your bus example. Thinking about it makes me understand more... fancy that! :-D Thinking is an experience.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:33 pm
IMO "understanding" generally means "able to predict". However in order to to appreciate the full range of variables in a situation, experience is often the best route.

Piaget the psychologist is famous for his theory that cognition lags behind physical experience. i.e. what the body learns first, the mind learns later.

In the undertanding of esoteric philosophy, actual practise of certain exercises is advocated over and above any intellectual discussion. Discussion is often referred to as "idle chatter" and in some systems the written word (consider the bible here) is considered to be the antithesis of "the truth".
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 03:55 am
Re: Is Experience the Only Path to True Understanding?
sozobe wrote:
Is experience the only path to true understanding?

I certainly don't hope so, because if it was, that would invalidate one of my favorite debate maneuvers, which is to pull a nerd on my opponents. By this I mean the act of looking deep into their eyes and saying: "Look buddy, I've done the math on this, and your story just doesn't check out. Mine does." Yeah I'm arrogant, so sue me! Wink

Seriously though, I think it strongly depends on what you are trying to understand. In the case of toddlers, you have a subject that's hard to make good theories about (so we have 217 mutually contradicting parenting books) and easy to make experiences with (so most mothers do a reasonably competent job at raising their children, whether or not they pay attention to those books.) Other subjects are very different. For example, to reach true understanding about whether the minimum wage should be raised or not, experience doesn't help much. There just isn't any immediate way to aggregate the partially contradicting experiences of the millions of people affected by the minimum wage. For that, you need to know how to work with statistics, and you need to know the basics of how an economy works. Neither part has much to do with experience.

You can see the difference if you read books like Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickle and Dimed and Michael Moore's Stupid White Men -- both highly recommended by the way. Both authors are absolutely brilliant in describing and making sense of their immediate experiences, yet they both cross the limits of utter nonsense when they draw conclusions about society as a whole from these experiences. The combination makes Ehrenreich and Moore excellent examples to demonstrate both the importance and the limits of personal experience for true understanding.

-- Thomas
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 04:34 am
Thomas wrote
Quote:
You can see the difference if you read books like Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickle and Dimed and Michael Moore's Stupid White Men -- both highly recommended by the way. Both authors are absolutely brilliant in describing and making sense of their immediate experiences, yet they both cross the limits of utter nonsense when they draw conclusions about society as a whole from these experiences. So Ehrenreich and Moore are both excellent examples to demonstrate the importance and the limits of personal experience for true understanding.

Absolutely, right on the money, on the button, on the mark. genius! Smile

Joe
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:37 am
I think if you are well balanced and use the Socratic method of dealing with life, one could logically arrive at a state of mind where action is more important than inaction, depending on the case. That life like the binary based computer all things can be answered with yes and no and just be done with it.If your motivation is good , life will always be most enjoyable.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:02 am
Good points, Thomas!!

Hmm, my bus story seems to have derailed things a bit, sorry. It was just the first thing that came to mind when I tried to come up with an example of a thought experiment.

It's something I really have experienced, though certainly not that often. I rode the city bus in Minneapolis a lot as a teenager and absolutely hated it. One particular story that I sometimes tell (and have probably told here) is of forgetting that I needed to take the bus to my orthodontist's after school; "forgetting" a detail I feel compelled to add when I tell the story because I was dressed all wrong, and knew better. Cropped top, miniskirt, sandals. (Summer.) No backpack, even, to put on my lap -- just my little purse. Couldn't pull anything down, couldn't pull anything up.

Lots of ogling, on the two buses it took to get there. Women glaring at me as their men stared. Commentary. And yes, really a LOT of people on the bus. It wasn't packed -- maybe 1/3 full. Dunno what percentage of people were ogling. But half is not complete hyperbole.

Finally reached orthodontist's office -- relief. Stretched out on the chair, he started making pointed comments. Leering. Couldn't pull anything up, couldn't pull anything down, felt horrible.

Got through that, waited for what seemed like an eternity for my dad to come pick me up, ran to the car when he arrived and slammed the door with a big sigh of relief. He asked me what was wrong, and I told him. His reponse: "Oh, come on, you just look nice today." Burst into tears. (Keep in mind I was, like, 17.)

Tried to explain to him then why it would bother me so much, wasn't able to satisfactorily, thought about it more, had more conversations, came up with the thought experiment (CodeBorg, so glad it makes sense to you!).

You're right, Craven, that the oddity is a weakness in the thought experiment. The point is to deal with it day in, day out, even when you don't want to -- kind of the opposite of oddity.

In terms of

Quote:
It's obvious that there is a huge difference in perception. One person here is talking in absolute terms. Busloads.

though, I never said "busloads". There were qualifiers all over the place. "Men are often (not always) supremely unsympathetic.", "To those men I say;", "This doesn't always work, but it often does." Are those absolute terms?

I'd expect you to be sympathetic, and CodeBorg, and patiodog, and tons of other guys here. Even Slappy! But I had lots of conversations with lots of guys in college about this one, and I saw lots of expressions change and little light bulbs go off over heads. Which brings me back to the point I was trying to make, but didn't do very well -- that I have seen thought experiments and/ or generalizing from one's own experience effect change in empathy levels, if not understanding.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:12 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I don't get your trick soz. If I were ogled by a busload by people of any variety I'd be surprised. It would be an odd experience and probably more interesting than my average bus ride.

Craven - I think I understand your point of view, and I was somewhat uncomfortable with the example, on a number of levels (although, in a differing form, I have used a similar one myself, on occasion) - however, what IS different, generally, for men and women, is that it is more common for a woman to be ogled - by whatever percentage of men it may happen to be - on a bus than it is for men. Also, for many women there is an implicit threat inherent in the experience of being ogled by men on buses, that is not, generally, there for men ogled by women - that of having an ogler - or more than one, alight from the bus when you do, follow you, and sexually assault or terrorise you. In fact, this does not happen often.. In reality, most women are, I believe, constantly subliminally, or consciously, aware that it MAY happen. To most of us, it HAS happened - at some level, to some degree. You wrote, very well, very horrifyingly, of various attacks upon you. Especially vivid was the account you wrote of the time you wore the "wrong" football top, and were attacked for that. You wrote of blaming yourself for being so stupid, or innocent, of how you felt you could have walked faster, been wiser, whatever. I know, knowing you, that you are aware of the ridiculous, ignorant but horribly internalized wider societal context that gives sexual attacks a special horror - the exaggerated (for it is a universal response to trauma) "what did she/I do to deserve it/make it happen?" factor. Believe me, this IS a special factor in sexual assault. I KNOW this. I KNOW how loved ones, offenders, courts view this. It is the one area of criminal assault where the plaintiff is - almost universally, and almost regardless of age - guilty until proven innocent. I am sufficiently aware of law and justice to be aware that, as regards adults, it IS an especially fraught area of law, because sexual assault cruelly mimics acts undertaken in joy and love and delight. You know, I almost think this is a special burden for men/boys who have experienced sexual assault, since this is, traditionally, albeit wrongly, seen as something that ought to/does happen only to females. Insult added to injury.

I think it is a little disingenuous of you to write about the putative ogling experience as though it would be experienced in the same way by the average man and woman. I believe it would not. I might add that, while it is not a typical experience for either sex, that "ogling" by whole busloads of men DOES occur - in incidences such as being passed by a bus full of male sporting teams, bucks' nights, drunk buses and such-like. It is generally an unpleasant experience.

You will criticise me, I know, for moving from ogling to sexual assault - I know that we differ in seeing these as either "harmless enthusiasm vs aberrant/criminal behaviour" ( which I think is your belief - I accept that I may have misrepresented you) or as "differing extremes of the same spectrum" - (me). If I may quote, in some explication, from something I wrote elsewhere:

"However, to me, when a society often shows its evil and cruelty along certain fracture lines, there is a structural/psychodynamic issue happening.

(As an illustration, I added the following "similar" case) Not all slave owners tortured and abused their slaves. (I add for this post: Not all white people behaved with cruelty and insensitivity to black people in the USA prior to the passing of the various civil rights bills in the sixties. Not all white Australians treated Aboriginal people as subhuman.) However, to deny that there is an underlying structure in human consciousness that we call racism that allowed the sick few to do so, is, to me, a denial of reality and reason."

I have a problem here in that I do see appreciative/flirtatious looks and behaviour etc as both harmless and charming and, often, delightful - one of the loveliest forms of play between humans - and I find it difficult to define the exact moment this turns into something ugly, however, I believe it does so well before the "sick" or criminal level is reached. I find it hard, as I said, to be absolutely accurate about this point - but I can tell you that the experience of being ogled is a horrid one, for most women, I venture to say, while the appreciative or flirtatious glance is a warm and positive one. I wonder if, in a way, if this mirrors the dilemma of sexual assault that I discussed earlier in this interminable post in these terms: " sexual assault cruelly mimics acts undertaken in joy and love and delight"?

I understand (as far as I am able) that this, in the current climate, can present a real difficulty for many of the many men of most sensitivity, goodwill and understanding and decency , in terms of confusion about how to behave in the great dance between the genders, leading to tension or hurt or anger or frustration or constricted behaviour - or whatever other feelings it may give rise to. I hope this is a temporary thing - I am sorry for it. I am aware of similar difficulties in relation to white/black, deaf/hearing etc behaviour, but I suspect it is most fraught in this area.

Craven de Kere wrote:
You make the men sound like a pack of predators. I understand a bit of it (though I think a "busload is quite an exagerration, I have been on many a bus and the oglers were always in the minority.

That being said I think I can empathyze with the ogle complaints. I think much of it is fueled by some truely dastardly men and that you generalze very much.

Yes - I can understand that being made to feel like one of "a pack of predators" is a horrible and wounding and unfair experience. I suspect, upon reading this, that I have been guilty of doing that very thing, and I am sorry for it. I agree with you that this is not a helpful, or fair, way to proceed. I do not THINK this way, though I know that I have FELT this, at times, when I have been very wounded and angry - and it may well have become part of my emotional landscape in a way that is not always fully visible to me.

We differ a little around the "a few truly dastardly men" thing - I think the behaviour is far more common than you admit it to be - and doubtless far less common than I FEEL it to be - I suspect your later trauma comments are very relevant here. (Actually, on re-reading, I think you talked about trauma on another thread - it seems we now have three, or is it four, threads exploring similar themes, and I am mixing them.)

As you know, I think the more obnoxious behaviour is enabled by an underlying structural something that I call sexism - not just by male sexual enthusiasm, which I think would not so commonly take this form in a differing structure - I wonder if your comments elsewhere about how these behaviours are differently expressed, or expressed to a lesser extent in, say, the USA and Brazil is a case in point?

Craven de Kere wrote:
I have seen busloads of people stick their body out of the bus (qualifier: busloads of youth) windows and yell at me and my girlfriend "Your girlfriend looks tasty cuckold!" (in Portuguese, of course).

Craven, I am interested - what is your analysis of why these young men spoke to YOU? I have spoken elsewhere, very bitterly, of being harassed by men on the street who, on becoming aware that I was, in fact, with a male partner, have apologised not to me, but to HIM. What is your analysis of that? I see the behaviours as very similar, by the way - which is why I have drawn in something you did not mention.

Craven de Kere wrote:
My girlfriend hated riding on a bus because occasionally a pervert would rub up against her.

At a crowded bus stop (I'm talking the main avenue of Brazil right after work, easily over 50 people) men have pulled out their privates and said disgusting things. I had two other friends that had a car drive by with a man exposing himself and when I heard it I noticed how much it worried them.

I could go on forever, there are so many of these stories that I have heard. Some far far worse than what I have mentioned here, and because of the fact that this happens with regularity I understand how many women generalize about this.

But ask every man if he does these things and you will see a starkly different statistical rate.

To be fair, ask everyone if they are a leader or a follower and you'll get more leaders than followers.

Yes, I know you notice these things, and are disgusted by them - every man I have as a friend and colleague feels the same way. It is actually good and helpful to know that you and other men are aware of how awful these kinds of experiences are, and that they do not trivialise them - because I have been in many situations where they were trivialised and seen as harmless and I was seen as stupid, or even crazy to object to them. (And not just by men.) I am glad that things in many people's consciousnesses have shifted.

Craven de Kere wrote:
But it does highlight something interesting about experience.

How much does experience within an individual microcosm (as all our lives are) result into blatant hyperbole?

It's obvious that there is a huge difference in perception. One person here is talking in absolute terms. Busloads. Code, and I love him for this, manages to raise this every time without reacting the way I do.

It bothers me that such hyperbole is used about men while if we generalize about women it's discrimination.

Craven, what you write is very interesting, and I am still in the process of thinking it through.

My comment at this time is, though, is that, (let us speak only of women at this moment, in relation to sexism/crazy feminism - whatever we call it) is that, while each of us lives and experiences "within an individual microcosm", that when many of us have very similar experiences, we are starting to look beyond the individual, to something that we can argue is operating at a societal level (the old slogan "the personal is political" is, I think, a very relevant one.)

When many black people have similar experiences within a country, we may be looking at racism, no? Would we be wanting to argue that we cannot connect those experiences?

I am not denying, by the way, that, whether on an individual level or a "movement" level, there is the possibility, and very likely the actuality, of over-generalization and hyperbole.

I find myself wondering if such is not, to some extent, necessary at times? I do not know. I do see how wounding it is to the group hyperbolized about. I can most easily see this in relation to being a white person listening to discussions about racism. I have said elsewhere about how this makes me feel - "I didn't do that - I am not like that!" However, I accept that I AM partly like that, and I benefit from the people who DID do that - just as I benefit from other injustices in the world.. I would like the discussions not to be like they sometimes are - they make me feel awful. I do not, however, expect or particularly want them not to be like it. Maybe I am a sucker, and wrong, and it would be better if the anger were not there when I go to support Aboriginal people, say, at various meetings and rallies. I guess I kind of assume that one day, it will fade, if we can address some of the problems together. Dunno. I have realised I am rambling, and my analogy is far from perfect, and the challenges far different in sharpness, as I, gubba that I am, would likely be sharply reminded if I were at an Aboriginal meeting.

Craven de Kere wrote:
But recently I realized that I am far more willing to accept an extreme edge in other social movements.

So now I wonder about the questions this topic raises. If you think it's hard for a man to empathize with the ogling how well do you think women empathyze with the fact that men have to listen to them painted as busloads of apes. Predatory in nature (I try to understand the size difference's effect on women but a reverse comparson is also relevant. How much does the size and strength difference and the criminal behavior of few generalize into greater suspicion of predatory intent for us all?) and then to have the homophobia angle exploited (in my personal experience women are alltogether too willing to toy with male homophobia, I don't really blame the because it must look kinda funny, but it's patronizing to any man who is not as backward as the broad brush paint).

I try to empathyze, I try to think about the truly horrific experiences that some women have suffered at the hands of men. I think of the inequality for women throughout history.

I still find it hard to accept the generalizations. Especially when some men work so hard to avoid the generalizations that are unfair to women.

Fighting the negative connotation of promiscuity for women, the uphill battle to rid society of the unfairness of the words stud and slut.

Language itself is discriminatory, attitudes are patronizing. There is much progress to be made for equality. When we have trouble understanding we have to fight the urge to ascribe, in generalized terms, the lack of logic, mercurial and fickle nature of emotion to things that confuse us.

With all that is done and that needs to be done to erase stereotypes and discrimination of the sexes it's hard to see busloads of oglers as a serious question. It's a brush that dips itself in the darkest ink and paints with the widest swath. It's a pity that the obscene and crminal behavior of the minority is the characterization we are supposed to attempt to understand is a perfect example of generalized hyperbole.

But like I said I am wondering of I react poorly to the more extreme edge of feminism and it is sad. In nations such as Japan and Latin nations feminism was an ideal I held highly while in nations with greater gender equality such as America there are elements that turn me off.

Is this an experience issue? Will the generalizations about men become more understandable if I were to walk the proverbial mile?

Craven, I am continuing to think about what you have said.

I have nearly written a novel, as it is - and it is very late - and I am sure nobody will wade their way through all the verbiage to this point anyway!

I have already attempted to address the connection between the "busload of oglers" and the darker stuff. I doubt that we will ever see eye to eye on that - I hope our eyes can meet despite that. It has been good to see a little more clearly through yours on this issue. I have appreciated the content of your post greatly.

(PS: Er, Craven, could you explicate, at some point, what you mean by: "then to have the homophobia angle exploited (in my personal experience women are alltogether too willing to toy with male homophobia, I don't really blame the because it must look kinda funny, but it's patronizing to any man who is not as backward as the broad brush paint)."? I am totally bamboozled by that comment!)
0 Replies