RainSoft - How long is regeneration cycle?

laineys

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:05 pm
Silver Series - Model # RFC 50 H 24U/60 - Serial # 505332 & 5055333 - Mfg Date 12/05/02

I have not replenished the salt since Sept 06 as it is still half full. Makes me suspicious. Tonight, I decided to manually regen one of the tanks. After 60 mins, it sounds like it is still dumping water as I can hear it water running in my laundry room - where the washing machine dumps its water. No, I am not doing laundry. I am not seeing any 'new' water in the salt tank.

So, a few questions:

1 - How long (time wise) does it take to run a manual/automatic regeneration? How many cycles does a regeneration have and how long does it take to do each? Rough estimates ok - just want to know when to start getting more concerned than I already am.

2 - I was told that each tank holds 50 gals of water - true? I have 2 tanks - long story as to why, let's not go there.

3 - Does the regen cycle do both tanks or just the tank that the timer is attached to? Each tank has its own set of timer/day-push-pins/backwash dials.

4 - The backwash 'timer' doesn't appear to be a timer. One tank has an 'arrow' set on 10 with a salt indicator set on 8. The other tank has a salt indicator set on 8 with an 'arrow' set on 30. What is this telling me?

5 - How do I figure out how many times each tank needs to regenerate so I can set the day push-pins accordingly. I know that you are to use the different day push-pins on each tank (e.g. 1,3 on tank 1; 2,4 on tank 2)

Crying or Very sad Well, it has been another 30 mins, and it still seems like it is dumping water and not touching the salt tank.

Any info/assistance is most appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,238 • Replies: 16
No top replies

laineys

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:41 pm
Update - system currently on bypass mode (both tanks). Got tired listening to $$$$ going down the drain.

Serial number 505333 does not exist - had to use a mirror to see the sticker. Info for 2nd tank is as follows, model # RMC 75 T 60HS, Serial # 493012, Mfg Date 10/24/02. This is assuming I can read backwards and reverse. :wink:

On both tanks, the timer where you set the current hour is not advancing. I checked the wall outlet, and it is 'live'. About 2-3 weeks ago, we did have a (6hr) power outage, could it have caused problems?

Again, thanks for your reply!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:21 am
No, the units should not backwash as long as they have.
Are the units showing the correct time of day?
It sounds like you have a bad clock motor.

Can you post or email me a picture of your system?
The numbers don't tell me much and I don't know what you have.
Why the two tanks?

HTH ~
0 Replies

laineys

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:37 am
RE: The 2 tanks - that is what the salesrep convinced my now ex-husband into buying.

I have uploaded the pics in KodakGallery.com. I am unable to figure out where to find your email address to send you an invitation to view the pics.

I also attempted to copy the pics in this post.....not figuring that out too well either.

Please let me know how to get this info to you.

Thanks
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:46 am
H2OMan wrote:

Just what sort of demented pleasure are you deriving from these photos, H2OMan?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:48 am
Gus, leave H2OMAN alone, he's my favorite superhero. All repair men should be as reliable as he is.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:49 am
We're buddies. He can take a little ribbing.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:57 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
H2OMan wrote:

Just what sort of demented pleasure are you deriving from these photos, H2OMan?

LOL ! Laughing
I'll never tell ~
0 Replies

laineys

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:44 am
The pics can be viewed via:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=16on2iif.4062rkmb&x=0&y=-rss8jp

No signin required.
0 Replies

laineys

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:42 am
H2O_MAN - Are you able to view the pics via the link above?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:01 am
Yes, You have a softener and a filter. I can't tell what kind of filter from the picture. The softener should backwas once every 6 days and I can't recomend settings for the filter until I know what it is is and why you have it.

I still say you have a bad clock motor and whatever you do, don't touch the little wheel with all of the little numbers.

HTH ~
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:04 am
Sage advice.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:07 am
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2678/1/99/40/82/13/2/213824099107_0_ALB.jpg

H2OMAN, why didn't you lecture this guy on the unsightly residue on his salt tank cover?

He is going to give us all a bad name.
0 Replies

laineys

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:09 pm
Did you notice that there are multiple pics in the picture 'album'? When you click on the KodakGallery link above, click on the VIEW SLIDESHOW to see all the pics. I took a close-up picture of both panels (showing the wheel with all the little numbers Razz ). There is also a picture showing the back side where there is 1 power adapter with both tanks 'wired' to it - hence, only 1 plug into the wall outlet.

Hopefully, this will help you identify what I have.

Re: clock motor - is this a DIY project? If so, where would I purchase the motor and instructions?

To gustavratzenhofer - I am assuming you are teasing me about my "dust". I live in Las Vegas where it is just about impossible to keep anything dust free. Shocked
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 05:37 pm
UPDATE:

laineys gave me a call and will have the 24v transformer checked out locally and post the results here.
0 Replies

laineys

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 09:48 pm
Well....well....well....

Called American Water Treatment (a RainSoft authorized dealer/service). I explained my situation. He asked me if either tank motor made sound when I replugged in the 24V transformer. Nada. He agreed that that is probably my problem as it is highly unlikely that both clock motors would have gone bad. I was put on the next day's service call list.

The service rep came and spent 2-1/2 hrs doing root cause troubleshooting. I even got to assist! Laughing We were utterly amazed at what we found. My transformer works just fine. We directly hooked up to the main motor (bypassing the clock motor) and it runs! Ditto for the other side. When we hooked up per specs, absolutely nothing - even when the backwash dials were manually rotated. The clock motors on both tanks went bad.

The service rep took the time to explain how all the dials work and their relationship to each other along with what numbers on the backwash and salt dial means, etc. He told me that he has been with the company 9 years and servicing systems for 4 years. He told me that they have 15K-20K customers in their region.

He is also going to inquire about my system being separated - each tank on its own transformer to remove the possibility of similar burnouts. He told me that the only other time he saw a clock motor burn out was on a system that was 6 years old. Mine is 5 years old this month.

I did not have to pay for the service call (yet). He told me that he did not have the parts in his truck but would call me on Monday to let me know if they are in stock at the shop or when they are expecting the shipment from RainSoft to schedule the next visit. He told me that the parts are under warrenty but not the service call. I was quoted a very reasonable price (under $100) plus brownies/cookies. Very Happy As my dad was in the contractor/blue-collar business, I learned the value for offering water/soda and snacks. Cool

Once this is done, I will inquire about the $$$ on rebedding the carbon tank. I understand it should be done every 3-5 years.

Stay tuned!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 10:42 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:

It sounds like you have a bad clock motor.

laineys wrote:
Well....well....well....

Called American Water Treatment (a RainSoft authorized dealer/service). I explained my situation. He asked me if either tank motor made sound when I replugged in the 24V transformer. Nada. He agreed that that is probably my problem as it is highly unlikely that both clock motors would have gone bad. I was put on the next day's service call list.

Quote:
The clock motors on both tanks went bad.

H2O
he's our man,
if he can't fix it,
No one can.
0 Replies