Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 10:17 am
Newsflash

PALACE TOOTHPASTE SQUEEZER QUITS- COULDN'T HANDLE PRESSURE

CHARLES TO APPOINT NEW SQUEEZER GEEZER
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 11:54 am
What would we do without you Steve, to keep us up on these important topics. You guys have the best soap opera in the World, really.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 05:21 pm
Lola

Hebba's avitar is a computer generated projection of what Michael Jackson's face might look like in ten years.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:26 am
Ho ho.My avatar,dear Lola is the brow of a wooden face.Look at my site and you´ll understand.(original art forum).
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:29 am
Glad you liked Copenhagen Steve.I´ve been here for ten years now and won´t be leaving.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:58 am
Knowing personally in Copenhagen just the airport (changed plane to/from Manchester there), I just like to add to Steve's response that Marx and Engels have seated down on the same table as I did:

http://www.chethams.org.uk/img/marx_alcove_thmb.jpg

(Well, actually not exactly at the very same moment.)

BTW: A victory for ManU would bring there all time Premiership points totally to 850 today!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 04:28 pm
Er well thanks walter

but they only drew. And frankly the way they played they were lucky not to loose.

Where is the table? Central Library Manchester? Or University Lippstadt?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 04:58 pm
Better than loosing 3:1, anyway.

The table is at the Chetham's Library -

the oldest public library in Britain
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 07:20 am
I always found it rather pathetic that ol' Karl was writin' Das Kapital while livin' on the largesse of a man whose wealth came from the sweated labor of the cotton mills in the mid-lands . . . hmmmm . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 07:40 am
Re Manchester:

Friedrich Engels worked in his father's mill - Ermen & Engels - which was located at Weaste, Salford, very close to the old stadium of ... the 'other' Manchester football club.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 07:42 am
With regards to Salford, one of the best books ever written on the living conditions of mill workers was about the Salford slums . . . i'll go see if i can get a reference . . . been about 20 years since i've read it, so . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:19 am
Thanks for reminding me it was Chetham's Library Embarrassed

"Chetham's Library was founded in 1653 and is the oldest public library in the English-speaking world"

Actually there is no reason I should have known because I've never actually been there.

Just like living near London, I've never been to see the Crown Jewels, speaking of which, more embarrassing revelations about Palace goings on this weekend. Drugs and sex orgies. Courtiers 'operate gay mafia'.

If you ever have a bizarre wish to go and see the Crown Jewels, first make sure they haven't been 'borrowed' for some drag queen party before you buy your ticket.

I know our Royals are an endless source of amusement for the world, but I have to pay for them. Its not fair. Its also embarrassing. At least the Americans could draw a line under Bill and Monica, and say goodbye.

Our Head of State is around till she dies, and then hands over to her son, who is worse .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:37 am
Quiz time

Who said this?

Though my English may not be pure, yet, I hope, you will find it plain English. No workingman in England -- nor in France either, by-the-by -- ever treated me as a foreigner. With the greatest pleasure I observed you to be free from that blasting curse, national prejudice and national pride, which after all means nothing but wholesale selfishness -- I observed you to sympathise with every one who earnestly applies his powers to human progress -- may he be an Englishman or not -- to admire every thing great and good, whether nursed on your native soil or not -- I found you to be more than mere Englishmen, members of a single, isolated nation, I found you to be Men, members of the great and universal family of Mankind, who know their interest and that of all the human race to be the same. And as such, as members of this Family of "One and Indivisible" Mankind, as Human Beings in the most emphatical meaning of the word, as such I, and many others on the Continent, hail your progress in every direction and wish you speedy success.

ans a Karl Marx
b Fredrick Engels
c Walter Hinteler
d Prince Charles
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:43 am
Since it wasn't me, Prince Charles either, it is ...

"To The Working-Classes of Great-Britain - Condition of the Working Class in England" by Engels, 1845.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:45 am
(I suppose, he should be called 'Friedrich' - or you should say Charles Marx as well. :wink: )
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 10:49 am
Well done Walter. Friedrich Engels it was!

You win a meal at

Le Raj
Millers
1 Southmill Road
Bishop's Stortford
CM23 3DH
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 11:21 am
If we could return to Manchester for a minute.....I was most throughly informed about Manchester in the recent movie Twenty-Four Hour Party People.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 11:23 am
Manchester is also the site of the most notorious (modern, at least) serial murders in England, in the early 1960's . . . forget the name of the little bag o shite who perpetrated them, with his girlfriend . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 12:16 pm
Steve

Thanks - your half pint will be served at
ARCHERS
Tel: 01279 652802
HAVERS LANE , BISHOPS STORTFORD ,
HERTS ,
CM23 3PD

Setanta

The mass murder is Harold Shipman.
Family GP Harold Shipman was jailed for life for murdering 15 patients - and officials fear he is behind about 150 deaths.

Lola

I didn't see the film yet. But what I read about it: I'm sure, there is another life besides Granada TV and the music scene :wink:

Manchester
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 01:45 pm
Setanta

The little sh1t you are thinking of is Ian Brady. He was/is insane. He and his girlfriend Myra Hindley kidnapped and tortured to death a number of children in the 60s. They recorded their screams on tape. Brady was sent to Broadmoor (hospital for the criminally insane) for the rest of his life. Hindley died only yesterday in prison, a completely changed person by all accounts, deeply religious etc etc.

Shipman was quite recent. Another madman this time a doctor playing God. He injected 250+ ! elderly people with diamorphine to help them on their way. He seemed to be addicted to killing people (and was a drug user himself). He murdered my mother's friend and a neighbour of my uncle, who found the body.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2139562.stm
0 Replies