coluber2001

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 03:20 pm
If we limit our interpretation of "born again" to a literal one then we may be in trouble. However, "born again" can also mean a transcendence of our ordinary ego identity. If we are able to extend our sense of identity to include more than what is within our skin, then we are in a sense "born again."

Limiting religious symbols and myths to a literal interpretation can be dangerous in our contemporary world where religious societies are no longer isolated from each other. Generally though, we are raised to take our own religion literally, but by studying other religious myths, past and present, we are more easily able to see the metaphors in them. Then, if we observe the commonalities of all religious myths, past and present, we can see that they are all variations on the same thing. An excellent book on this subject is the late Joseph Campbell's "The Power of Myth."
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 03:25 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I prefer the suggestion that religion--when it is what I consider true religion--re-connects us to the Cosmos, the ground of our being, the source of our true nature, etc.
In zen buddhism enlightenment does not "connect" you with the Cosmos; it is the realization that you have never been separate from it. Indeed, there is no distinct "you", only Cosmos (or God if you wish).

Well said, JL. In fact so well said that I'm at a loss for words to improve upon it. Maybe I could hold up a flower in the manner of Ananda.
0 Replies