JLNobody

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 09:52 pm
Smile
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 04:43 am
to be born again does need death. it is the death of the sinful life that you live until you are born again in Christ Jesus.

it is a metaphor to the fact that Jesus shed his blood for us when he died on the cross.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 07:10 pm
Too much of this looks like atheists bashing religion. I don't like it.

Calling religious people "annoying" and their religion "pure fantasy" is basically being a hypocrite: you're being an asshole to people who you want to convert to a supposedly more sensible way of living. "Oh yes, I can't stand those annoying religious people. They're so foolish to believe in things you can't see, feel, or explain." And you aren't being annoying in making fun of their religion? And perhaps you'd like to explain why space-time is real, even though its sort of an energy that holds the universe together, but you can't see or detect it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 08:41 pm
Point taken, Foley, but it is not, of course, an argument in support of theism; it's intended as an attack on some atheists' bad manners. Right?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 10:09 pm
Well, it is not without truth that many religious people are indeed annoying, simply because they do not grasp the fact that their convictions are subjective and personal, and that they may not make any sense at all to anyone but them.

Therefore, I reserve the right to call the woman who stops me in the street to preach to me that Jesus is the way, even when I tell her that my spiritual inclinations lean in another direction, annoying. I know what she means, but she doesn't know what I mean. I know because I've asked her. (For the record I am referring to a specific individual in my hometown.)

There is a sort of arrogance behind the resolve to go out and spread one's message in this way. It implies that she knows, and that everyone who disagrees are lost. No matter what spin you put on that, it meets all the criteria of being called delusion.

I would like to take this opportunity to remark on the fact that many theists take objections to their faith as insults or bad manners. This is understandable to a degree, and emphasizes the fact that their faith is indeed personal.

Having said that I feel it is only reasonable to add that theists who have thought about these things are not annoying or delusional. These are very often the kind of people that don't wear their faith as a badge of honor, and who do not advertise their faith unless asked about it. Even then they are often reluctant to discuss their actual beliefs, their emphasis being more on the insights it has awarded them. As far as I am concerned, that makes for interesting conversation.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 10:15 pm
The story gets a little twisted over the span of a couple of thousand years. I imagine that if human birth with it's copious amount of water gushing forth were witnessed by enough people, and a family likeness was notice in the newcomers, people might take up the notion of a DNA sequence .... then again they might start dunking other people in a lake or a river.
Kinda makes you wonder what God had in mind.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 05:30 am
I agree with Cyracuz. I have no problem with religious people who practice their faith, WITH LIKE MINDED PEOPLE, and keep their ideas to themselves with others, except in a discussion that is desired by all individuals involved.

I may think that their beliefs are total nonsense, but far be it from me to tell another person what to think, as long as their beliefs do no impact on my life, (like blowing oneself up for Allah). If their beliefs do impact upon my life, (even if the impact is not as serious as destruction) then I believe that I have the obligation to counter their precepts.

I find proselytizers obnoxious, annoying, inappropriate, and totally arrogant. I also believe that people who are comfortable with their faith do not need an ever increasing claque of yea-sayers to reinforce their beliefs.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 07:52 am
Phoenix

Another thing about proselytizers is that they very often do this, not because they want to save you, but because they want to save themselves. To atone for some major sin in their lives or just to curry favor with god...
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 08:23 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I agree with Cyracuz. I have no problem with religious people who practice their faith, WITH LIKE MINDED PEOPLE, and keep their ideas to themselves with others, except in a discussion that is desired by all individuals involved.

I may think that their beliefs are total nonsense, but far be it from me to tell another person what to think, as long as their beliefs do no impact on my life, (like blowing oneself up for Allah). If their beliefs do impact upon my life, (even if the impact is not as serious as destruction) then I believe that I have the obligation to counter their precepts.

I find proselytizers obnoxious, annoying, inappropriate, and totally arrogant. I also believe that people who are comfortable with their faith do not need an ever increasing claque of yea-sayers to reinforce their beliefs.

Morning Phoenix, it's hard to determine the target post of your post so I will answer in order of proximity, mine being the closest. Actually this might the the most succinct way to do so.

Earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Some good responses. For emphasis let me repost ..."Very truly, I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit."

To understand 'born again' consider the sequence of events that led us to our present birth in very simple terms.
First the sex act occurs resulting in an egg that is fertilized by the male sperm ..... the resulting DNA is a combination of half egg and half sperm DNA. Still keeping it simple, the result after a nine month growing and development period is a new person. A person with a DNA that, while not a perfect match, is a very close match to the parents combined sample. If you have ever witnessed a birth you will know what I mean when I tell you there is a whole lot of 'water' involved.

As for the spirit part we can discuss that later. For now try to think of your child as a combination of you, your mate. her mother and father, your mother and father etc... times a million billion years. How many times has the DNA wheel of chance come up with the identical combination, the perfect match of the DNA you are sitting there with as you read this .... only without your memories
Born again, but with no 'easily accessible' knowledge about the lives stored in your DNA.

If you would take the thread as presented .....'born again'....you would see that I am not proselytizing. Merely looking for a conversation regarding the nature of DNA .
If I am in error in my judgment of your intent I apologize, I was merely trying to be pragmatic.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 08:31 am
As a proselytizer myself…I find myself in minor disagreement with two people with whom I am most often in agreement…namely, Cyracuz and Phoenix.

If one truly is of the opinion that his/her take on things is the "correct take"…or more exactly, the "take" which leads to the greater good of humanity…then that person is, in my opinion, actually under an obligation to proselytize.

I treat proselytizing theists not as an annoyance, but as a willing audience for my counter proselytizing. Said another way: You do not want to be a Jehovah's Witness in my neighborhood…because you will most likely be greeted with open arms at my house and will regret taking advantage of my hospitality.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 08:35 am
yeh Frank has a lotta "Witnesses" buried in his basement.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 08:44 am
Frank, Farmer ....lmao Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 03:33 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Well, it is not without truth that many religious people are indeed annoying, simply because they do not grasp the fact that their convictions are subjective and personal...

Yes, I understand your perspective, but what I am upset about is that many religious people do keep to themselves as well, and there are quite a lot of atheists who believe that their view is completely true and irrefutable, where I was pointing out that science still has flaws in it.

Though there are plenty of annoying religious people, there are plenty of annoying atheists too, and I see many of you categorizing all religious members of society as annoying, which is complete arrogance.

I would make the same argument against a bunch of pious zealots too, but this thread was created and responded to mostly by atheists.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 05:27 pm
Foley

This issue is being thoroughly examined in another thread. The fact is that atheism is just another belief system, and those who are under the impression that science disproves any notion of god are sadly mistaken.

The truth is that science is inaplicable when it comes to the questoin of whether or not there is a god. There is a lot of information out there, but it can be used to argue both sides of the case, depending on the debater's rethoric and stance in the matter. But at the end, there is no proof for neither view.

So for the record I would like to voice my agreement that there are indeed many annoying atheists too.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 06:57 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Foley

This issue is being thoroughly examined in another thread. The fact is that atheism is just another belief system, and those who are under the impression that science disproves any notion of god are sadly mistaken.

The truth is that science is inaplicable when it comes to the questoin of whether or not there is a god. There is a lot of information out there, but it can be used to argue both sides of the case, depending on the debater's rethoric and stance in the matter. But at the end, there is no proof for neither view.

So for the record I would like to voice my agreement that there are indeed many annoying atheists too.

Foley/cyracuz, so I have been pronounced an atheist .... based upon what? My understanding of how DNA functions? To me God is a subjective metaphor and yes, I believe in metaphors but hold no grudge with those that don't .... so you can take off that silly pointed hat and put the sheet back on the bed, I'm not a real threat to Christianity, just interested in DNA, not trying to convert anyone to DNAism .... really
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 08:04 pm
Gelisgesti

It was not my intention to pronounce you an atheist. I was simply remarking on the comments Foley made, regardless of what inspired him to make them.

I wouldn't call you an atheist just because you're interested in how DNA functions. I'd call you an atheist if you believed that there are no gods, but if you've stated such a belief I have either missed it or forgotten it.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 10:36 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
Foley/cyracuz, so I have been pronounced an atheist .... based upon what? My understanding of how DNA functions? To me God is a subjective metaphor and yes, I believe in metaphors but hold no grudge with those that don't .... so you can take off that silly pointed hat and put the sheet back on the bed, I'm not a real threat to Christianity, just interested in DNA, not trying to convert anyone to DNAism .... really

Sorry for not conveying my meaning better. I didn't mean to pronounce you an atheist. The comment was directed at the people who replied with

Quote:
it's pure fantasy.

and

Quote:
And to make up for it, you become annoyingly religious, to the point it consumes your life, you piss off everyone around you by spewing quotes from the bible and questioning other's religion.

No, Gelisgesti, I respect you. You haven't really done anything wrong.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 09:35 am
My understanding of what the first Century Jews and Christians meant by being 'born again' is pretty practical. The Pharisees, Jewish Christians, and non-Jewish Christians all believed in a concept of spirit and all believed in an afterlife. Through descriptions and extraneous reading, we come to know that the ancients believed in the physical body that we all can see, touch, experience, etc. They also believed in a spiritual body unencumbered by material things and unseen by mortal humans.

To be born 'of water' I don't think referred to baptism but rather the fluid protecting the baby in the womb--fluid the ancients would have seen and understood to be 'water'. 'Born of water' is metaphor therefore for the biological birth.

"Born of Spirit' is to intentionally unite the spiritual body with God, who is Spirit, and thereby experience assurance of life within God's blessings and protection for all eternity which is the Biblical definition of 'eternal life'.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 09:06 am
Quote:
Scientists Write Messages Into DNA "Bottle"
Posted Feb 23, 2007 by geozone in SciTech and viewed 3080 times.
Digital journaling on DNA.
Japanese researchers have successfully stored messages in the DNA of bacteria. The hardiness of the hay bacillus bacteria ensures the digital data encoded into them can last for millenia.

Generally found in soil or decaying matter, hay bacillus are exceptionally resistant to extreme weather conditions. Two megabits (data equivalent to 1.6 million Roman letters) can be stored in each bacterium of hay bacillus in the form of implants. These tiny implants can be extracted in a lab and read like ordinary text at a later date.

The research team was able to encode Einstein's renown E=MC^2 equation along with the date 1905 into the genome of the bacteria strain. They were able to read the message later on by analyzing its genetic sequence.

Head researcher Yoshiaki Ohashi said, "If I wanted to store my personal diary in these live bacteria and take it with me to my grave, then my story can live for thousands and thousands of years."

One of the practical applications of this technology lies in the area of pharmaceuticals. Fraudulent drugs are a major problem but if pharmaceutical companies could "stamp" their signature into the drugs, it would prevent piracy and at the same time protect their patents. To prevent corruption of the message encoding, the data would be inserted into 4 different places as multiple backups.

The bacteria's hardiness and ability to preserve data for future generations would also be extremely useful in storing vast amounts of data which would not be suspectible to the types of damage that wipe out computer hard drives. Information stored on DNA lasts for more than one hundred million years.

The researchers project being able to develop a type of living memory for a new breed of organic computers which would use strands of DNA to perform calculations and would have the ability to heal themselves if damaged.

Though the promise of this technology is very high, the scientists caution more work is needed before it can be marketed. One of the hurdles to overcome is ensuring very slow mutation rates in the DNA as the bacteria evolve, otherwise the messages encoded will be rendered unreadable.

I am fascinated by the use of this technology to create new types of computers where you have no more worry about the corruption and loss of data. Very few of us have not experienced a hard drive crash, especially when it was not recently backed up. The other aspect of that is what you "write" on it is preserved for a very long time and possibly not eraseable. There are some things you do not want preserved for that long and/or not eraseable.

Does this pertain in any way to 'born again'?

Source
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 09:14 am
Foxfyre wrote:
My understanding of what the first Century Jews and Christians meant by being 'born again' is pretty practical. The Pharisees, Jewish Christians, and non-Jewish Christians all believed in a concept of spirit and all believed in an afterlife. Through descriptions and extraneous reading, we come to know that the ancients believed in the physical body that we all can see, touch, experience, etc. They also believed in a spiritual body unencumbered by material things and unseen by mortal humans.

Sounds like Near Death Experience.

Quote:
One exception is the near-death experience (NDE), a mystical experience with elements not always shaped by social and cultural factors. Dr. Raymond Moody coined the term "near-death experiences" in his book Life after Life. An NDE reportedly occurs when one is revived from death, or comes close to death. Anthropologist James McClenon has reported that ancient NDE accounts share common features with modern NDE accounts.4 Further, NDE accounts from prior centuries in Europe, China, and Japan are extremely similar and often include elements that do not correspond with the theologies associated with the time period.5

Also, NDEs often spark an interest in religion. Specifically NDE survivors are attracted to New Age churches or Eastern religions6 (Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.). In his book Life After Death: A History of the Afterlife in the Religions of the West, Alan F. Segal suggests that religious experiences, such as NDEs, have contributed greatly to various theologies over time. Therefore, Dennett would be better served to consider the importance of mystical experiences.

http://www.reasons.org/resources/apologetics/other_papers/breaking_the_spell.shtml
0 Replies