Artist's floor installation is made of pencils

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:56 am
Artist's floor installation is made of pencils -- lots and lots of pencils -- but that's not the point
- Kenneth Baker, San Francisco Chronicle Art Critic
Saturday, January 13, 2007

Photos:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2007/01/13/DDGFRNHBBU1.DTL&o=0

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2007/01/13/DDGFRNHBBU1.DTL&o=1

A New York art dealer tipped me to Tara Donovan's debut solo show during my visit there in spring 2003. He had not seen it himself, he said, but it had ignited quite a buzz. And justly so, for Donovan had confidently, almost blithely, mastered one of the most difficult exhibition spaces in Manhattan.

We get just a whiff of that confidence in the UC Berkeley Art Museum's presentation of Donovan's "Colony" (2002), a version of the least expansive piece in her breakout New York show.

The Ace Gallery's now defunct New York operation -- Ace still maintains two Los Angeles venues -- occupied a refurbished single-story warehouse with a vast interior on Hudson Street, west of Soho, the old gallery neighborhood, and well south of Chelsea, the current one.

Consisting of hundreds -- maybe thousands? -- of sawed-off, eraserless pencils, bunched and stood on end on the floor, "Colony" can shift aspects startlingly, depending on where it sits.

A prototype of the piece occupied the smallest of the dramatically various spaces within Ace New York. The narrow confines of that room pretty much dictated vertical views of the sculpture.

At the BAM, "Colony" sits by itself, roped off, on a wide-open floor in the lowest of the museum's tiered galleries.

Here a visitor almost has to depend on wall text to see that the sculpture consists of pencil stubs. In the long, low-angle views the situation encourages, "Colony" can look now like a thick scattering of sawdust, now like an encrustation of lichens or even an animal-skin rug.

From an elevated viewpoint, or even from standing nearby, the piece suggests a contour map of an island, perhaps a whole country. It can look like a dense miniature cityscape or a great swath of clear-cut forest.

"The phenomenon that my work changes or reveals new traits in different spaces is the reason I use the term 'site-responsive' to describe the relationship between a project and the space it inhabits," Donovan said in an e-mail. "The idiosyncratic nature of my work, along with my intention to construct a 'field' of visual activity, allow each sightline to offer something new or unexpected to the viewer."

A native New Yorker, Donovan, 35, was able to witness the procession of recent American art firsthand throughout her years of formal education. She attended the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan in the late '80s, completed a bachelor of fine arts degree at the Corcoran College of Art and Design in Washington, and earned a master's degree in sculpture from Virginia Commonwealth University.

Like several other American artists close to her in age, such as Tony Feher and Tom Friedman, Donovan revisits the strategies of minimalism and process art with an attitude toward materials more broad-minded than the earlier generation's.

She has used, en masse, materials such as plastic cups, drinking straws, tar paper, rubber bands, toothpicks and paper tape.

"My ideas develop over time through experimentation with specific materials," she writes. "I may find that a material has a particular quality in which I see some potential, but the possibility of it becoming a 'piece' can occur quickly or literally take years, depending on the success or failure of my process. Specific spaces do influence the installation of my work in terms of scale and the way the work responds to environmental factors such as lighting, but I work out most of the issues with the way projects will be constructed and presented in my studio prior to installation."

The first-time viewer of "Colony" naturally wonders whether its components stand on their own, fastened by gravity alone, on minimalist principles, or adhere to some armature.

" 'Colony' is in fact glued together in sections," Donovan acknowledges, "but is not structurally reliant on that fact."

I naturally wondered as I studied "Colony," which is on loan to BAM from a private collection, whether Donovan delegates the assembly of her work when it travels, or insists upon setting it up herself.

"Reinstallation doesn't necessarily require my presence or direct oversight," she told me. "There are very specific instructions that travel with each work, and often I have someone who works with me at my studio participate in the installation. The works are fairly simple to fabricate by following the rules I draft for their construction."

Still, the number of components in a Donovan sculpture stuns visitors who do not know what to expect. Her New York show at Ace featured a long room with what looked like a fog bank at its far end. Even after inspecting it closely, many people had to consult the wall label at the gallery entrance to believe what they had seen: a colossal accumulation of white plastic drinking straws, stacked tightly like firewood, perpendicular to the wall behind them, spanning the width of the room, more than head high.

"The 'how did you do it?' or 'how long did it take?' questions of disbelief (are) very common when people first encounter my work," Donovan said. "It isn't necessarily my intention to bring attention to the labor involved in each work. For me, the labor is no different than taking a brush to canvas or carving a piece of wood -- it is a means to an end."

Visitors who give enough time to "Colony" may begin to intuit metaphoric or social references in it. They might think of chewed-down pencils as symbols of anxiety, perhaps connected with cut-down trees. Or see some ominous intimation of the waning of writing by hand in a new age of keyboarding and voice-recognition software.

Most frequently, people wonder about an implicit critique of excess or waste.

"But I myself don't really make these connections when making my work," Donovan said. "It is the material itself -- the fact that it participates and is somehow symbolic in reference to human waste and decadent consumption -- that leads people to fixate on these types of associations. ... I see my practice as a subversion of the normal cycles of distribution, consumption and waste. ... The fact that a poetic statement can result from these associations is another layer of complexity that takes on significance for me when a given project is completed."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tara Donovan: Colony: Sculpture. Through April 15. UC Berkeley Art Museum, 2626 Bancroft Way, Berkeley.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,726 • Replies: 56
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 07:42 pm
What will they think of next?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 07:45 pm
An expansion of process stuff.

Rolls eyes.

Avoidance of learning how to draw.

Ok, I don't mean that, exactly.

But, give me a break.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 07:49 pm
Back in the seventies, I had a reaction against Jay McCafferty's work - which I'll admit I didn't follow past that, but I gather he was quite appreciated.

He did solar burns on his or some other roof top, in a grid, if I remember right.

This was process art.

Actually, I don't hate it. I just think it is trivial.

And that is not to say anything I do isn't trivial either.
I just don't get the flume of enthusiasm.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:07 pm
interesting

i think the idea and the creation are as much the art as anything else

by that i mean, when people say, well i could do that, the point being that they didn't, and the piece's artistic merits aside, the artist did

my first apartment had a box on the wall by the door that was supposed to let me talk to people at the main door, it didn't and hadn't for many years before i got there i later discovered

i got tired of looking at it as a piece of useless hardware, so i wen to work the next day (i was working as a picture framer in those days) and mounted a small piece of matting about the size of a business card on a piece of foam board, i then used letraset to make an identification card like you would see at an art gallery

on it i wrote something like

Title:
Non Working Intercom
Media:
Plastic
Artist:
Unknown (20th Century)

afterwards i always felt much better about seeing it day in and day out
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:13 pm
I don't think much of "art" that I want to see or hear only once. Art for which there is no point in seeing or hearing again and again. It's like VERY causal love making. O.K., but that's all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:28 pm
DJ, I'm not as hostile as I sound, and am enthusiastic about your dealing with the defunct. I'll go so far as that the process thing had both a reason for being and was interesting. Just not... infinitely interesting.

Well, I'll tell about my first date with my husband. It was after our quick romance when a play he was involved with opened at our gallery space. We were, er, smitten.

A friend told me about an opening at LAICA (LA institute of contemporary art, in Century City, and we all went together).

The key piece for me was the centerpiece of the show called Clay Works in Progress, where someone, sorry, no name comes to mind, poured some clay-ey mud as a giant disc, and the art was to watch it crack.

I was quite sniffy about it all at the time, but have (surprise - gotten a clue since, re process - but not always advancing to interest.)

I might even acknowledge the realm of the disc, isolated as such. just by the mere doing of the obvious.

Fifteen years later, a friend's husband turned out to be a serious artist in a major museum show, and, yes, he'd had a piece in that early LAICA show. I'd probably dismissed it while laughing or, worse, walked on by.

When I knew him, years later, I was always engaged by his paintings.

Dj, I'm never on here saying I'm right. I remark on my reactions at a given time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:28 pm
DJ, I'm not as hostile as I sound, and am pleased about your dealing with the defunct. I'll go so far as that the process thing had both a reason for being and was interesting. Just not... infinitely interesting.

Well, I'll tell about my first date with my husband. It was after our quick romance when a play he was involved with opened at our gallery space. We were, er, smitten.

A friend told me about an opening at LAICA (LA institute of contemporary art, in Century City, and we all went together).

The key piece for me was the centerpiece of the show called Clay Works in Progress, where someone, sorry, no name comes to mind, poured some clay-ey mud as a giant disc, and the art was to watch it crack.

I was quite sniffy about it all at the time, but have (surprise - gotten a clue since, re process - but not always advancing to interest.)

I might even acknowledge the realm of the disc, isolated as such. just by the mere doing of the obvious.

Fifteen years later, a friend's husband turned out to be a serious artist in a major museum show, and, yes, he'd had a piece in that early LAICA show. I'd probably dismissed it while laughing or, worse, walked on by.

Dj, I'm never on here saying I'm right. I remark on my reactions at a given time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:30 pm
DJ, I'm not as hostile as I sound, and am pleased about your dealing with the defunct. I'll go so far as that the process thing had both a reason for being and was interesting. Just not... infinitely interesting.

Please argue, you know as much as I do.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:57 pm
osso
i was half responding to your comment and half just venting some of my "art rage"

i spent about ten years in retail picture framing shop, we had a good mix of artists, art lovers and just plain folks looking for a poster or print for their living room

i loved the artists and the art lovers, but the endless parade of posters and prints got mind numbing after a while, especially the con game of signed and numbered prints, art seemingly for investments sake and not for enjoyment

the pencil thing has given me an idea, years ago a buddy and i had thought about making a mosaic with inlaid pennies on a hard wood floor, perhaps drilling holes and putting small plugs of colored pencil would be a more colourful experiment
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:57 pm
Ohwee, I didnt mean to post that so much.

I'm all for fooling with floors.

Have no idea if that is art or craft or why one would worry about the distinction. Back in my days of just assuming I could put together a tv show (a friend go an idea very high up at Turner), I'd thought of a long series on craft. I never got the 39 show thing together and then the execreble house and garden tv got going.
OK, OK, there must be something ok on it.

But never mind art or craft in general,

the particular is interesting.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:03 pm
Some of these craft projects are neat, but so are some of the doodles I make in the margins. I like to fiddle with things, but I would never stoop to the level of showing it in a gallery.

Honestly, I think these kinds of artists are lazy cowards and their work should not be taken seriously. The only thing that interests anybody when looking at a piece like this is the fact that it was clearly a tedious job. But wasting time doing tedius tasks is no escape from laziness, because time is something we all are good at wasting doing mindless things. Spend that time actually doing something where your motions are recorded -- like a giant mural, and then you're creating art. But when your idea is simply to attach a bunch of primitive objects together using some tools and glue, that really is not art at all, it's a way for preschoolers to kill time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:18 pm
not yet arguing with Stuh, though lazy cowards is a little aggressive...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:31 pm
rereading, agreeing with Stuh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:42 pm
I have an etching I bought for $35.00 from a guy pulling a print many years ago. I won't claim to understand it and it's about eight feet long. I suppose I should look up the signature, he may be famous by now.

That is by way of speaking of intricacy in/seemingly for/itself.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 12:02 am
Well, as somewhat of an artist myself, I feel that I can identify. And being a perfectionist, and knowing what I am capable of, I sometimes become scared of a real canvas because I am afraid of disappointing myself! Especially if I've been out of practice. It is all too easy to switch over to making some crazy piece of abstract crap after starting to get disappointed when I realize that my hands forgot how to make a masterpiece. But then I destroy whatever I made so that nobody will ever see the non-masterpiece. I feel like these people are doing the unthinkable; they have given up on real art altogether, and are just getting spurred on by all the wannabe art appreciators who feel sophisticated because they look at abstract crap. I say, don't egg them on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 12:24 am
Well, that is a thick post, Stuh. I'd like to talk back and forth, but not for me this minute as it's slumber time and I'm still typing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 12:35 am
Stuh, nag me if I forget, as I'd like to talk about that, just not tonight.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 05:59 am
djjd62 wrote:

especially the con game of signed and numbered prints, art seemingly for investments sake and not for enjoyment

after seeing osso mention an etching, i thought i'd better qualify this remark, i was refering to the signed and numbered prints that are basically glorified posters, not etchings, wood cuts, silkscreens etc
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 10:53 am
Stuh, is ALL abstract art "crap" by virtue of being abstract? Or are you callling crap just that abstract art that is crappy (and there certainly is plenty of it).
0 Replies