Rainsoft tank not using salt

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:12 pm
I have a 10-year-old Rainsoft "Q2" Valve system that I purchased new and it has worked perfectly in the past. A month ago, the alarm went off telling me to check the salt level. Upon checking, I noticed that the salt level was about still half full. I reset the salt level and checked it again a few weeks later. The level is not moving. I emptied the salt and cleaned the tank and filled it about 1/4 full of salt. I then started a manual cycle. All of the electronics seems to be working properly based on the digital readouts. However, no water goes into the salt tank. Should I call Rainsoft and have them come out and service it or is there something that I can check to find the problem?

I've read a lot of the other posts but I'm not sure exactly what my best cost effective plan should be. Thanks for any input that you can give.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 858 • Replies: 3
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 06:36 am
From what you describe, I would replace the O rings on the piston and brine injector, inspect the brine and drain tabs, and re-seal the tri-guard.
Make sure you don't have a sheared pin...

Call your RainSoft dealer and explain the problem ~ you may get lucky and have a dealer that is willing to service the obsolete valve.

Bottom line, unless the problem is in the computer - it can be fixed.

HTH ~
0 Replies

crazycajun

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:20 pm
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I called a Rainsoft technician and explained my situation. He said that they still repair the brass valves. When I told him that my salt tank wasn't filling with water, he asked if the little clear Tri-Guard Brine Control canister was empty of water. I told him that it was full of water and the little white ball was floating up at the top. He said that it sounded like the Brine Injector was clogged. He said that they could come out and check it out and if that was the problem, it would be around $95. He said that I could attempt to remove the Brine Injector by removing the Brine Injector cap and screwing a sheet metal screw into it and pulling it out of its seat. He said that I could bring it into the Rainsoft office and they would give me a new one for no charge. I am going to attempt this tomorrow. Once I fix this issue and before I start a manual regeneration cycle, should I put water into the brine tank and let it sit for a few hours? Or, will the salt tank fill by itself once I start the regeneration process?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:38 pm
Good deal finding a local tech that works on the brass valve.

When your are finished, just press start cycle then enter.
The Q adds water to the brine tank in step #1 and sits for 120 minutes before it goes into backwash.

Good luck.
0 Replies