Softener won't syphon brine solution

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 12:00 pm
I have a 15 year old Rainsoft water softener that came with the house. It stopped using salt, so I called the dealer. I paid $140 to be told the valve was shot and it would cost $1500 to replace. I could pay $4800 for a new system that would be warranted for life. They say warranted for life, what they mean is for as long as the original purchaser owns it.

How can a valve cost $1500. It's not stainless steel and going into a nuclear reactor. It there any way I can get a replacement valve at a reasonable cost?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 665 • Replies: 3
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 01:22 pm
Re: Softener won't syphon brine solution
caveman823 wrote:
I have a 15 year old Rainsoft water softener that came with the house. It stopped using salt, so I called the dealer. I paid $140 to be told the valve was shot and it would cost $1500 to replace. I could pay $4800 for a new system that would be warranted for life. They say warranted for life, what they mean is for as long as the original purchaser owns it.

How can a valve cost $1500. It's not stainless steel and going into a nuclear reactor. It there any way I can get a replacement valve at a reasonable cost?

RainSoft dealers are forbidden to work on the obsolete brass valve.
They are instructed the offer a new replacement valve or a new system.
Both are bad investments.

Chances are good that your valve can be refurbished - I have done this
for many people. Parts are in short supply and will soon be gone.
Swapping the valve for a brand new Fleck valve is a wise move.
I have swapped out hundreds of RainSoft valves for new Fleck valves.

HTH ~
0 Replies

caveman823

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 03:07 pm
Thanks H20_Man.

I have a Rainsoft System composed of three pieces, a brine tank that takes block salt (with iron out), a tall tank (neutalizer) and a short tank (softener). Both tanks appear to have the same valve. The tall tank has plugs in some of the valve openings. On the short tank, these openings have plastic hoses attached, one running to the brine tank.

The bad valve is on the short tank. I think I should plan on replacing this valve. If I go with a Fleck valve, I will be getting a complete Fleck softener unit, correct? Or will a Fleck valve fit on the Rainsoft tank?

If the bad valve can be rebuilt, I would like to do it and have it as a backup for the large tank. The Rainsoft tech said he put new orings in the valve and it still would not syphon. He said this means that the inside of the valve is corroded. Anyway, If I send you the valve, can you inspect it and rebuild it, if possible?

Thanks,
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 04:18 pm
caveman823 wrote:
Thanks H20_Man.

I have a Rainsoft System composed of three pieces, a brine tank that takes block salt (with iron out), a tall tank (neutalizer) and a short tank (softener). Both tanks appear to have the same valve. The tall tank has plugs in some of the valve openings. On the short tank, these openings have plastic hoses attached, one running to the brine tank.

The bad valve is on the short tank. I think I should plan on replacing this valve. If I go with a Fleck valve, I will be getting a complete Fleck softener unit, correct? Or will a Fleck valve fit on the Rainsoft tank?

If the bad valve can be rebuilt, I would like to do it and have it as a backup for the large tank. The Rainsoft tech said he put new orings in the valve and it still would not syphon. He said this means that the inside of the valve is corroded. Anyway, If I send you the valve, can you inspect it and rebuild it, if possible?

Thanks,

Yes, I can inspect and rebuild, but I need to know what you have.
The valve on the Neutralizer should not have any openings to plug.
Can you send me pictures of both valves?

The Fleck valves replace the valve only on the Neutralizer and both the valve and salt tank on the softener.
Both tanks get new riser pipes - If you are handy, you do not have to buy a complete new system.
0 Replies