Favorite Pizza Makers

vinsan

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:06 am
We have several options for Pizzas and their makers.

Who do you think generally delivers great taste and Qty, Qlity, service & is faily economical.

You may want to add options to this list of my favorites ...

1. Garcia's
2. Smokin Joes
3. Pizza Express
4. Pizza Hut
5. Domino

My Mom does not stand in this list coz she doesnt make great Pizza in my opinion. :wink: Yours may be listed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,512 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:27 am
We never buy pizzas from a chain but from independent pizzerias/restaurants (though one is called Mama Mia - 30% of pizzerias in Germany have that name, I sometimes think :wink: ).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:03 am
I agree with Walter. Anytime that I have eaten in a chain pizza joint, I have always been disappointed. In Florida, I will try any pizza place that advertises itself as "authentic NY pizza". So far, I have not been disappointed.

That reminds me of the time that I went to a Chinese restaurant in Oklahoma. Would you believe that they served Won Ton soup with saltines! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:09 am
Of the three major US chains, Pizza Hut, Little Caesars, and Dominos, Pizza Hut stands out for me. There's a place where we live called Vitales that we like, but there are only a few of them. I have always been a fan of Chicago style pizza such as Uno's or Geno's.

Two of those majors were started here in Michigan. Dominoes by Tom Monaghan, and Little Caesars by Mike Ilitch. Both targeted college communities to get their start.

Interestingly, one of my cousins married one of Mike Ilitch's granddaughters. I met her once - she is smoking hot.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:12 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I agree with Walter. Anytime that I have eaten in a chain pizza joint, I have always been disappointed. In Florida, I will try any pizza place that advertises itself as "authentic NY pizza". So far, I have not been disappointed.

That reminds me of the time that I went to a Chinese restaurant in Oklahoma. Would you believe that they served Won Ton soup with saltines! Rolling Eyes

I agree with Walter and Phoenix. Pizza from a chain tastes like cardboard with red and white stuff on top.

Yes, Phoenix, I believe it about the Saltines. I once ordered lasagna in Vermont. The waitress and I had a failure to communicate. I said la-zan-ya, and she didn't know what I meant. I pointed to the dish on the menu. She said, "Oh, the la-zag-na." I realize now that I should have ordered something else the minute she said that.

The places I've been ordering from have deteriorated. I'm looking around for a replacement--for that wonderful pizza smell. You know you've found gold the minute you lift the lid of the box.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:15 am
One time in far northern Michigan I tried to order a margherita and the waittress kept asking me what flavor I wanted. Apparently "plain" wasn't on the menu.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:27 am
Well, I might as well put in a plug for my favourite Toronto delivery pizza -- Dante's. It costs much more than normal, about $25 for a fully loaded medium size, but as Roberta says, you know you've found gold when you lift the lid. All ingredients are the best -- the best cheeses, the best salami and sausages, etc. Vegetables are recognizable chunks that have been seared, roasted, glazed or otherwise prepped. Seasoning is perfect. And they have several dough recipes, so you get different crusts depending on the type of pizza you order. A medium size pizza will satisfy as many people as a large size from a regular pizzeria.

More in line with regular delivery pizza costs is a smallish chain called Topper's, in various southern Ontario locales. Above average product. Not available in the city of Toronto, though.

I eat way to much pizza.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:56 am
cjhsa wrote:
One time in far northern Michigan I tried to order a margherita and the waittress kept asking me what flavor I wanted. Apparently "plain" wasn't on the menu.

Margherita, is a type of pizza named after the Queen Consort, with tomato, sliced mozzarella, basil and oil.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:12 am
We like Pizza Hut.
The one we order from is very good.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:15 am
Primos Pizza is by far the best pizza in the world.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:42 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Margherita, is a type of pizza named after the Queen Consort, with tomato, sliced mozzarella, basil and oil.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was talking about the cocktail.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:14 am
Razz
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 01:48 pm
Never heard of the first 3, and have never eaten the last 2.

Local chains and independents are my preferred too, if I'm wanting a ready made one. I usually just made my own from scratch before I crossed them off of my food for healthier living list.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:04 pm
I usually make my own - much healthier. Besides that the one chain I do love (although none in Mass) is Papa Murphys. It is a take and bake and also very fresh ingredients. Whenever we go visit family out west, we always have some.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:12 pm
I really liked one of our local pizzerias best (until they changed the owner), becuase they not only used fresh incredients (that's normal here) but real imported Italian ingredients.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 03:27 pm
The best locally owned pizza place here in the a**hole o' is called Ardovino's.

http://www.ardovinospizza.com/room.jpg

Their specialty is gourmet pizzas. I really like their Sun Dried Tomato & Pesto pizza.

Of the big chains, Pizza Hut is better than the delivery companies. I've never had pizza from Garcia's, Smokin Joes or Pizza Express.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 03:58 pm
In New Mexico, green chile is often used as a pizza topping, especially in combination with pepperoni, local chorizo sausage, or on supreme pizza. This is uncommon elsewhere.
0 Replies