Beer in London

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:54 am
So a few years ago my brother and I were in London Town and went into a local pup for lunch (I had the ususal bangers and mash while my brother had ploughman's lunch) my brother decided he wanted a beer so he went up to the barkeep and said "barkeep, what's your most popular beer?" The barkeep said "Long neck Bud" so my brother said "Ok, what's your second most popular?" The barkeep said "Bud Light" so my brother ordered a Foster's.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,863 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:17 am
That's disgusting, dys.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:18 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
That's disgusting, dys.
Yes, yes it is.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:36 am
Was it warm?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:37 am
Wilso wrote:
Was it warm?
luke
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:37 am
That is sad indeed!I'll be in London this spring and was planning on doing just the same thing and I'm origionally from the home of Anheiser-Busch.
So what do you suggest I order other than the bars most popular beer?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:12 am
martybarker wrote:
That is sad indeed!I'll be in London this spring and was planning on doing just the same thing and I'm origionally from the home of Anheiser-Busch.
Millar light.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 12:33 pm
I'm outraged that they offered no Lone Star. What's the matter with these people?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 12:43 pm
What do you all have against imported beer?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:39 pm
martybarker wrote:

Dry cider. (Not that fizzy soda pop stuff usually sold in North America). It's refreshing and can pack a respectable punch.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:43 pm
Yes to cider! So delicious, not like 'apple juice" at all, refreshing and tasty. Also intoxicating...
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:45 pm
Are there different types of ciders? Like pear.....

I'll have to give it a try.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:22 am
martybarker wrote:

Marty, Dys obviously went to a pub frequented by young trendies who, as far as beer is concerned, wouldn't know their collective arses from their elbows.

If we are talking about proper cask beer here, I would highly recommend that you find a pub with a proper row of "draw" pumps, where the landloed has to drag the beer through the pipes by pulling hard on the pump.
This is not your fizzy, gas injected lager type beer we're talking about here. Pump beer (cask ale) is almost flat, but very smooth. After a pint or two, you'll be hooked.

Be warned, for someone not used to drinking proper beer, the first two or three gulps will probably taste very different from what you're used to, but then it will just slip down and you may not realise that it's having much effect until you step outside and end up staggering back to the hotel.
My recommendations.......

Fuller's Chiswick (Bitter) .........if you want to drink up to two pints without an afternoon siesta. 3.5% and very nice.

Fuller's London Pride.....My personal favourite from Fullers. Slightly creamier, and 4.1%.

Fuller's ESB (Extra special bitter)......quite a bittery taste, but lovely. At 5.5% itsh alsho shimply shtaggeringly shloshmaking.

If you can't see Fullers on the pumps, look for Greene King beer. If you see it, you must try a pint of their "Abbot Ale" or the Greene King IPA.

DIET WARNING......if you fancy some CRISPS with your beer, don't ask for chips as you'll get a large plate of what you call french fries.

Crisps are a must with a good pint of beer, and come in many flavours. I would recommend "Cheese and Onion" variety.

The aforementioned cider is also good, but is usually served on a "gas" pump in pubs, and can be fizzy.
Ask the bartender if he/she has any "cask" ciders. Again, watch how much you're drinking.

If they don't have cask cider, ask for a bottle of Magner's Cider, as that's pretty much like proper cask stuff.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:24 am
martybarker wrote:
Are there different types of ciders? Like pear.....

I'll have to give it a try.

They do exist, but are pretty rare. I wouldn't think you'd find one in a pub.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:40 am
I think, you won't get more than one kind/brand of draught cider in pubs in/around London - though about half a dozen of draught beers (and more) is quite usual

(photo from early December last year, not too far from the V&A)

http://i3.tinypic.com/34oa9f4.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:52 am
Here's some info on "real ales".......

http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=aboutale

and the relevant page.....
http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=180651
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:56 am
...and some recommended Pubs......

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/Real-Ale-Pubs-in-London-recommended-london.html
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:07 am
Failing which have COBRA. The Brits are fond of all things Indian Twisted Evil
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:10 am
Thanks for the info. If I'm going to be in London I plan on enjoying what the locals do. Maybe I should stick to the Fuller's Chiswick
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:54 am
Tai Chi wrote:
martybarker wrote:

Dry cider. (Not that fizzy soda pop stuff usually sold in North America). It's refreshing and can pack a respectable punch.

SCRUMPY!!!!

(Thats a brand name)
0 Replies