LITTLE MOSQUE ON THE PRAIRIES

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:49 pm
i'm waiting for the start of a new CBC-TV show called :
"LITTLE MOSQUE ON THE PRAIRIES" .
even paula zahn featured a preview on CNN .
sure hope it's as good as 'trailerpark boys' and 'corner gas' .
i need a really good laugh now and than .
hbg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO (CP) - It hasn't even aired yet, but CBC's "Little Mosque on the Prairie" is getting the type of advance buzz most publicity departments would kill for.

The show, a comedy about Muslims trying to interact with their small-town neighbours in a fictional Canadian prairie town called Mercy, has been written up in the New York Times and the Houston Chronicle, with CNN and Stephen Colbert, the fake late-night talk-show host, also taking notice.

All this despite the fact that "Little Mosque" doesn't premiere on CBC-TV until Tuesday, Jan. 9. The show will then air on Monday nights at 9 p.m. ET, repeating on Wednesday nights at 8 p.m. ET.

The advance attention is gratifying to the show's creator, Zarqa Nawaz, who huddled on-set recently in a full-length Muslim head scarf while noshing on shepherd's pie. After all, Nawaz says, she's writing about what she knows and the issues and characters she holds dear.

"I grew up in a mosque, I got married in a mosque, I spend a lot of time in a mosque - mosque is a really important part of my life," she says, warming up inside a heated minivan on a chilly autumn day of shooting in the far reaches of Toronto's west end, currently filling in for the Prairies due to the show's suddenly compressed shooting schedule.

source :
NEW COMEDY SHOW ON CBC-TV

...CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO CLIP...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,236 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:51 pm
I've listened to a couple of interviews with the creator.

If her zany sense of humour comes across in a series, this will be good.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:54 pm
can't wait to see it !
i sure hope it gets a good and universal acceptance .
it seems to be a real 'fun show' .
hbg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:54 pm
That's it.

I'm moving to Canada.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:57 pm
welcome in my mosque , boomer !
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:59 pm
http://www.thestar.com/article/167978

Quote:
In a decidedly un-CBC-like promotional event for Little Mosque, a band of friendly camels was on hand Thursday, including one beast who happily shared a shawarma with one of the show's stars, Boyd Banks. Banks plays the resident redneck on the show who is ever suspicious of the goings-on in the mosque in the fictional town of Mercy.

"It's been a fun role to play, because let's face it, after Sept. 11, we all had racist thoughts," Banks says. "I know I had them, and I'm not proud of that. It would be nice, wouldn't it, if this show could end some of the prejudices that people have about Muslims."

All the international attention being paid to the show might suggest Little Mosque is dark, edgy and daring in its comedy. But in fact, there's no danger of a fatwa here: the show possesses a gentle humour, poking sweet fun not just at misconceptions about Muslims, but also at rural Canadians, that popular national whipping boy, the city of Toronto, and Muslims themselves.

"The enemy is in your kitchen .... wine gums, rye bread, licorice - Western traps designed to seduce Muslims to drink alcohol!" the Imam Baber, played by Manoj Sood, says to eye-rolling from some in his congregation. He's ousted during the first episode due to his overly conservative beliefs to make room for the progressive and handsome young Torontonian, Amaar, who complains bitterly about his inability to find a cappuccino in Mercy.

Amaar, played by Zaib Shaikh, has one of the funniest lines in the premiere episode, stating dryly and sardonically: "Muslims around the world are known for their sense of humour" as he's falsely accused of being a terrorist.

Future episodes promise more laughs, especially one in which two Muslim characters are shocked to learn that a man has replaced their female swimming instructor. The discovery forces the women to wear their full veils before submerging themselves in the pool.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:59 pm
Americans just take everything so damn seriously. I need some thoughful levity.

I could be snug in BC before all this passport stuff starts.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:01 pm
no Hollywood premieres

this is the Canadian way ...

Quote:
"the world's biggest halal chicken shawarma" was being served to promote the show.

http://www.thestar.com/article/168068
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:07 pm
boomer :
you are invited to visit in my village (i'm the one sitting ON the horse ! ).
hbg

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/kebir2.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:15 pm
You're very handsome!

Are you for sale?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:16 pm
boomer's gonna be my step-mom?

mo's gonna be my little brother?

this is SO cool!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:21 pm
Yes, dear! And guess what!

I have picked out a lovely boarding school for you. I just know you'll love it!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:31 pm
ha!

~~~~~~

Quote:
Little Mosque is the brainchild of Regina-based filmmaker Zarqa Nawaz, who is writing and producing the comedy. Nawaz -- whose company is called FUNdamentalist Films because she wants to put the "fun back into fundamentalism" -- pitched CBC on the show two years ago. She's working with WestWind Pictures, also of Regina.

A former CBC radio and television producer heavily into satire, Nawaz's films include BBQ Muslims (a five-minute comedy about two brothers who are suspected of being terrorists after their barbecue blows up, shown at the Toronto International Film Festival in 1996) and Real Terrorists Don't Belly Dance.

~~~~~~~~~

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061002.wxmosque02/BNStory/Entertainment/home]Globe and Mail
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 08:25 pm
There's no cappuccino in Mercy?

I do hope we get this show here!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:38 am
boomerang wrote:
You're very handsome!

Are you for sale?

Sheik Yerbouti.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 05:22 pm
'little mosque on the prairies' opened this week ... and what a show it was !
of course , lots of laughs . not really belly laughs but the kind that makes you smile for a while to come .
i sure hope it will have a long run .
hbg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record debut for CBC with Little Mosque
Canadian Press

More than two million Canadians tuned in this week to Little Mosque on the Prairie, the new CBC Television comedy about a Muslim community in a rural town that has been the subject of worldwide attention.

The figure -- 2.1 million -- is a huge one for a Canadian television show. Little Mosque drew one million more viewers than Rick Mercer Report, its lead-in. Corner Gas, CTV's big sitcom hit, routinely pulls in about 1.5 million viewers a week.

The CBC says Little Mosque was its highest-rated debut of a series ever. Kirstine Layfield, director of network programming, says it appears that Little Mosque won its time slot, even besting a brand-new episode of the red-hot medical drama House. The network also says it is receiving considerable interest from U.S. broadcasters and agents.

Little Mosque has been getting international buzz for weeks, with everyone from the BBC to CNN running items on the comedy by Muslim filmmaker Zarqa Nawaz

source :
...2.1 MILLION VIEWERS !
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 05:42 pm
Time to contact the CBC with a bit of feedback!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:00 pm
gave them a 'thumb's up' !
hbg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:02 pm
I have been reading about this show in our papers.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:12 pm
hope you'll be able to watch the show sometime .
it was really great to watch the interaction between the actors and see them play out the misunderstandings between muslims and non-muslims .
i'd suggest it would be suitable for showing in highschool classes .
perhaps other religions/races can be shown in many other shows in a non-threatening way .
it was fun but also educational - in a fun way .
hbg
0 Replies