Beautiful Animals

Roberta

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 02:48 pm
Tai, Wonderful shot. A panoply of pandas. I had no idea they ate carrots. I thought they were strictly bamboo eaters.
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 02:58 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Tai, Wonderful shot. A panoply of pandas. I had no idea they ate carrots. I thought they were strictly bamboo eaters.

Same here, but the orange looks great against the black and white, eh? Only thing better than the photo of a panda is a photo of six pandas.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:53 pm
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi wrote:

Mmmmmmm, carrots!
http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01002/dip1111-03-pand_1002770cl-8.jpg

How precious. I want them all!
Ionus

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 06:50 pm
@High Seas,
There is a story of a single engined cessna flying hot high and humid when it was attacked by a condor. The pilot throttled on as much as he could, thought he had left the bird behind and trimmed the engine back but within a minute the condor attacked him again. No-one knows whether to believe him or not. It might be attributable to the condor knowing the layers of wind better, but it is hard to believe the bird overtook even a very slow plane. It is also a puzzle as to what he did to annoy it. Maybe he was flying closer to the mountains than he thought . Still.....if it is true.....
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 06:55 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arent Pandas a solitary animal in the wild ?
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 07:03 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Arent Pandas a solitary animal in the wild ?
I have no clue but I'd love to have all six of those in that picture. Laughing
Ionus

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 07:04 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
I have no clue but I'd love to have all six of those in that picture.
I hope you have a shovel and a big house with no furniture.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 07:06 pm
@Arella Mae,
LOL! I am not sure that six pandas would make all that much difference in my zoo. Seven dogs, seven cats, seven horses and one mule. Always something to clean up after or love on around here.
0 Replies

Barry The Mod

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 07:45 pm
http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af138/barrythemod/To%20Forward/these_funny_animals_407_640_53.jpg
Love you.
0 Replies

Barry The Mod

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 07:51 pm
http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af138/barrythemod/To%20Forward/these_funny_animals_413_640_13.jpg
Cats can sleep anywhere!
G'night.
Ionus

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 08:03 pm
@Barry The Mod,
http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af138/barrythemod/To%20Forward/these_funny_animals_413_640_13.jpg
You have to believe me Rex...I have no idea how it happened !
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 08:06 pm
@Ionus,
The Russians can plant a sleeper spy ANYWHERE!
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 08:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
LOL!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:36 am
ionus, Dubious about the condor attacking a plane. It's an interesting idea, though. And, yes, giant pandas lead isolated lives in the wild. And I'm guessing that they don't encounter carrots all that often.

Arella Mae, With the menagerie you've got, it's possible you already have a panda and just haven't noticed it in the crowd.

Barry, Heartwarming giraffe pic. Love that. As for the other photo, what cat? I don't see no steenkin' cat. Optical illusion? Hallucination? Wonderful picture!

Elephants at the water hole:

http://www.beaute-dafrique.com/images/elephant%20herd.jpg
High Seas

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:05 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

ionus, Dubious about the condor attacking a plane. It's an interesting idea, though. ...

California condors are the biggest birds in North America - and they know it. They almost went extinct during the gold rush, getting shot when they tried to eat food from miners' camps. Then their numbers decreased further for the same reasons as the bald eagles - DDT somehow made their eggshells thinner, so they never hatched. At one point only 27 of them were left - total. All 27 were captured, bred in zoos, then gradually released in the wild; a few breeding pairs have been observed since, so there's hope for them. "Flying high hot and humid" in that kind of single-engine plane you have little to no extra speed, and if it's a bet on whether you know the thermals better than the bird, the bird wins. So - it's possible. But condors aren't mentioned in the comprehensive bird strike report, so it's hard to tell if it happened.
http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/images2/06images/condorDB.jpg
Ionus

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:20 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
Dubious about the condor attacking a plane.
I have no doubt it could happen once, but like I said I doubt it could do it twice...but....
Ionus

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:39 am
@Ionus,
Went looking myself....didnt find anything but did find this :

BIRDS ATTACK AIRPLANE

And Then Bring It Down

AN AVIATOR

Tells of His Battle In the Air With Birds

London, Sept. 17—Probably the most unusual story in the history of aviation, of how he was attacked, brought down and narrowly escaped death as the result of an attack by a flock of small birds while flying in a scout machine near Al baKir, Egypt, is told by Lieutenant John Sharpe Griffith, of Los Angeles, who has just returned from that place. Griffith is the only American to hold a permanent commission in the British Royal Air Force.
"I was flying along as peaceably as you please to the airdrome of 70 squadron, of which I was member, about 11 o'clock in the morning, when I first noticed a flock of birds, which resembled our black birds, flying over me. At first I paid scarcely any attention to them, and when they flew in front of me, I merely banked, turned to the left.
"However, they followed me. I then turned again, this time I had a little more difficulty in avoiding hitting them with the propeller of my machine. After several turns I came to the conclusion that they were trying to damage the machine, as each time they got within striking distance of the wings they would dive and peck at them. Of course, it was very difficult for me to believe this, for although I have heard of eagles attacking aviators before I never heard of any smaller birds, or flocks of smaller birds attempting to fight an airplane, but as their activities to tear holes in the fabric of my plane's wings continued, I came to the conclusion that such was the case.
"I then put the machine through all the tricks I knew, rolling, looping, diving, doing Immelmann turns, and diving in turn but the birds followed me and it seemed that their numbers increased.
"Coming out of a dive the inevitable happened. They flew straight into the propeller of my machine, breaking its blades. The next thing I knew the machine was doing a spinning nose dive earthward with numerous dead birds killed by the propeller of my machine falling beside me, while the others continued to follow me down.
"Eventually I righted the machine and started to glide down, but the birds still followed and as the speed of the plane had greatly diminished they were able to light on it. When about 150 feet from the earth they jammed my rudder control wires and the machine went down out of control and crashed. I escaped with a bad shaking up and a few scratches. When the machine landed the birds flew away."
Griffith served with distinction during the war, winning the Distinguished Flying Cross twice. The first time in France for attacking and bringing down seven Huns single-handed, and the second time for carrying out forty low and dangerous patrols in North Russia and bringing down the only Red balloon on that front. He also won the Russian orders of St. Vladimir and St. Anne.

Hamilton Evening Journal - Friday, September 17, 1920
0 Replies

carrottop10

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:46 am
@Barry The Mod,
got 8 cats that sleep whereever they like!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:39 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas, I know how rare American condors are. I was actually picturing the Andean condor and the plane. Don't know why. There's no question in my mind that either bird could outmaneuver the plane. I simply didn't think that attacking a plane was condorean behavior. But what do I know. The bird could have been having a bad day.

Ionus, I'm not at all dubious about smaller birds attacking a plane. Especially a flock of small birds. Thanks for the report.

I have a painting of two of these hanging on my living room wall:

http://ladyprovocateur.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/white-peacock.jpg
Ionus

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:55 pm
@Roberta,
Is that an albino lyre bird ?