Beautiful Animals

hingehead

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 04:36 pm
@Roberta,
Home schooling
boida wrote:
http://www.storytrender.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/0_MPM_-YOUNG_LION_CUB_HARASSES_DAD-1-1024x660.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 04:27 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/96827025_903475210116052_2927598624059686912_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=S5Ka7YkqXJsAX9MggI4&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=87b791e30169413f1ba0e87cac5d6814&oe=5EE38BE2
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 11:37 pm
From The Independent
https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2020/04/24/14/insects-climate.jpg?width=1368&height=912&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 02:06 pm
strawberry finch
https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/5ebd279638592_t5mgb99uldk41__700.jpg
Roberta

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 03:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow, edgar. Doozy boid.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 03:17 pm
Blue Bee thought extinct, photo'd in FLA
https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/bee-blue.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=720
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 01:44 pm
Kea - mountain parrot
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/98001277_1355079398033316_8260951066472873984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=jfI2HJNsxK8AX_uECQZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&oh=524a0ff490d3505da8e4dd562bbc71f5&oe=5EEA19D9
Roberta

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 05:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 01:18 am
@edgarblythe,
penguins tour an art museum in K.C. I like penguins
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 04:53 am
Black tiger. Very rare and IMO very beautiful:

http://www.lifewithcatman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/black-tiger-3.jpg
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 05:17 am
@Roberta,
looks like a blackboard drawing of a tiger. cool.
farmerman

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 05:31 am
@MontereyJack,
Id name him Likrish
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 08:35 pm
@Roberta,

wikipedia wrote:
There are reports and one painting (now lost) of pure black non-striped tigers (true melanistic tigers). Most black mammals are due to the non-agouti mutation. Agouti refers to the ticking of each individual hair. In certain light, the pattern still shows up because the background color is less dense than the colour of the markings.

So-called black tigers are due to pseudo-melanism. Pseudo-melanistic tigers have thick stripes so close together that the tawny background is barely visible between stripes.[1] Pseudo-melanistic tigers exist and can be seen in the wild and in zoos.[1] Such tigers are said to be getting more common due to inbreeding. They are also said to be smaller than normal tigers, perhaps also due to inbreeding or because large black leopards are misidentified as black tigers.

Extremely rare doesn't do it justice - have you got provenance of this photo (because it could be shooped)

Wikipedia's list of sitings is short.

Sightings (1970–current)
The white tiger cub that changed colour, with its mother and a normal white sibling at Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Chennai.

In the early 1970s, Oklahoma City Zoo's pair of tigers had three cubs that were abnormally coloured. One had the normal background color but all four limbs were abnormally dark. The second had dark feet, though these gradually grew lighter as it matured and became the normal colour when it reached adulthood. The third had the normal background colour, but considerable darkening over the shoulders, down both front legs, over the pelvis, and encompassing both back legs. The darkening was more-or-less the same color as the stripes. The striped pattern was only visible over the darkened areas. Two of the three cubs were killed by the mother, leaving only the dark-footed cub. The black cub was preserved in formalin.[citation needed]

In 1999 L. A. K. Singh[8] gave a very detailed account of the Melanistic Tiger in India. During the winter of 1975/6, two adult black tigers were seen in bright sunlight on the road leading to Matughar meadow; the sighting was made by Odisha forest service officials accompanied by two foreign tourists. In 1991, a black cub was seen with two adults and a normal colour cub at Devasthali, though this sighting was dismissed as an optical illusion. During 1996, adult black tigers were observed several times. A yellow-striped black tiger was seen near Baladaghar. A black tiger was seen near Bachhurichara, between Patabil and Devasthali. Some time later, a yellow-striped black tiger was seen between Patabil and Devasthali.

In 1992, the pelt of an apparently melanistic tiger was confiscated from a hunter and smuggler at Tis Hazari, south Delhi. The top of the head and back were black, while the sides showed shadow striping on a black background colour. The pelt was exhibited at the National Museum of Natural History, New Delhi, in February 1993. In 1993, a young boy shot a melanistic female tiger in self defence with a bow and arrow, near the village of Podagad, west of Similipal Tiger Reserve. Initial examination suggested the background colour was black with white abdominal stripes and tawny dorsal stripes. According to Valmik Thapar in Tiger: The Ultimate Guide, the only proof of black tigers is a skin with a black head and back. K. Ullas Karanth wrote in The Way Of The Tiger that a partially black tiger was recently killed by poachers in Assam.[9][10]

In August 2010, it was reported that one of three white tigers born that June in the Arignar Anna Zoological Park in Chennai had changed its colors, with most of its body and legs having become black(pseudo melanistic).[11] By October, the stripes on the cub, called Chembian, had changed to brown.[12][13][9][14]

In July 2014, a 5 year old white tigress of Nandankanan Zoological Park in Bhubaneswar, Odisha gave birth to four cubs and of these one was black (pseudo melanistic). This was the first instance of birth of a black tiger in captivity in India and second recorded instance internationally.[15][16]

In August 2014, a 25-day-old allegedly black tiger cub has born in Hangzhou, China.[17] However, the black cub's photos shows round marks on coat like those of a black jaguar or leopard.[
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 03:47 pm
Hinge, I don't know about the specific tiger in the photo, but I read that black tigers are in Odisha, and nowhere else.

Photos of black tigers show the black in a variety of ways. Black stripes amidst regular stripes and coloring. Black stripes with orange background. Black stripes with white background. And all black.

But, hey, what do I know.
hingehead

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 10:51 pm
@Roberta,
I'm gonna go with faked - I did a google image search and when all the sources are pinterest your confidence is shaken.
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 06:15 pm
@hingehead,
I did a google image search too. Not all sources are pinterest. In fact, I can't download photos from pinterest. Why? Dunno.

You go with faked. I'll go with not.

Either way, it's a fine looking feline.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 08:48 pm
I'm going back through this wonderful thread. The early pages, sadly, go faster as there are so many images that no longer show.

Only one thousand forty-three pages to go!
Setanta

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 10:26 pm
I know we've seen the pronghorns before, but I wanted to add a disquisition on them. Pronghorn are not antelope, they are goats. At the time that they lived on the Great Plains, there was a great cat, usually called a cheetah, but was actually an adapted cougar, a case of parallel evolution. Other Great Plains grazers employed a sort of herd immunity. They could not run as fast, but they could run longer, so the "cheetah" got the slow ones--the weaker juveniles or oldsters, or the sick or injured members of the herd. The rest got away. But the goats which evolved into pronghorns depended on bursts of high speed just as do the great hunting cats. At sixty miles an hour, the contemporary pronghorn is far faster than cougars or gray wolves.

New born pronghorns:

https://www.zooborns.com/.a/6a010535647bf3970b014e89a53ba7970d-600wi

The newborn pronghorn has a special adaptation. When they defecate, the feces comes out in a little sac. The mother can then carry it away a deposit somewhere far from the baby, so that predators will not be drawn by the scent.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Antilocapra_americana.jpg

The pronghorns "horns" are also unique. They are neither horn nor antler. Like horned animals, they have a horn bone. However, the "horn" itself grows from specially adapted hair, like the antlers of antlered grazers. If a horned animal breaks a horn, that's it, they're maimed for life. But unlike antlers, the pronghorn's horn/antler will grow back every year, so it one of them is damaged, they'll have another in season. Unlike the antlers of deer, elk, moose, etc., the pronghorn's "antler" grows from the horn bone, and is much less likely to break or break off.

End of lecture.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 11:58 pm
@Setanta,
Hiya Set,

I agree that it's a shame that the early entrees have lost their pictures. C'est la vie.

Thanks for the pronghorn pics and info. I was surprised to see that pronghorns are goats. I thought they were a species unto themselves.

In any event, I love dem. Beauty, speed, grace, agility, nimbleness (is this a word). And can openers on their heads. Who could ask for more?

BTW, Cheetahs are sprinters and can't sustain their speed at distances. Pronghorns can.
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 12:04 am
Only a thousand more pages to go!
0 Replies