My Kid's Band is Touring Western Europe starting 19 Jan 07!

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 12:38 pm
I know a tiny bit of French but that's it, foreign-language-wise, but when I traveled in Europe people always assumed I was European rather than American. I think in addition to language per se it's about a general attitude (and lack of Hawaiian shirts. ;-))
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 12:42 pm
I guess, Germany has seen one to many American tour-bus-tourists from Toledo, Birmingham and the likes.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 02:45 pm
It's funny you should say that, Thomas. I think I told you about my experience being lost in Hamburg and how everyone I asked for help really tried to help me and were very friendly as well. Ian's bandmate, B, seemed to have the exact opposite experience. He told me stories of how rude people were to him. Ian shared with me that B and his wife were your stereotypical "ugly Americans." They expected everyone to speak English and treat them with deference. I'm embarased that my fellow countrymen would act that way. We were guests in your country and I tried my best to be polite.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 03:58 pm
Swimpy wrote:
We were guests in your country and I tried my best to be polite.

I'm not surprised at all, and I'm also not surprised (if a teeny bit relieved) that the Germans reciprocated. I think Jane has a good point about the busloads of American tourists in Germany. It's the same the other way round. Sometimes when I'm in America, I see the equivalent German busload. Whenever it appears near the horizon, I try extra hard to hide my German accent so Americans don't notice I'm one of them. And Murphy knows that I, although a non-bus kind of tourist, have committed own my share of gaffes in America.

Talking of helpfulness to strangers, I will never forget my very first day in Chicago. After arriving at my hotel, I needed to exchange several rounds of emails with a friend. My hotel had no internet connection. So every two hours or so, I would walk back and forth between my hotel and a Kinko's about five blocks away. On my third round, a man walked up to me. He wore threadbare clothes and had gaps between his teeth. I thought: "U-oh, he's going to ask me for money. I only hope he'll merely ask me to volunteer it." Seconds later, he stood in front of me and said: "Excuse me sir, but I noticed you walking up and down Rush Street several times. I wonder if you might be lost. Can I help you somehow?" I don't usually blush, but that was one of the rare exceptions. This turn of events came totally unexpected to me -- I'm pretty sure a German passer-by wouldn't behave this way.

On the other hand, maybe it's just that the really nice Germans have emigrated to America's Midwest, and that this Chicagoer was one of them.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 07:26 pm
I think you'll find that most people are nice enough if approached in the right way. Don't you?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:18 am
I suppose so. I've never made a different experience, in any country - and I'm perhaps an even less bus-crowd-tourist than Thomas is (at least, I've some more years of doing so. :wink: )
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 02:39 am
Swimpy wrote:
I think you'll find that most people are nice enough if approached in the right way. Don't you?

You're probably right. Still, there are nuances. For example, this guy in Chicago was extremely nice even though I hadn't approached him at all. I wouldn't expect this to happen in Germany.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
I'm perhaps an even less bus-crowd-tourist than Thomas is

Perhaps. But unlike me, you travel foreign countries armed with this high-caliber camera. It makes you look so much more threatening than I do. Razz
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 02:54 am
Thomas wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:
I'm perhaps an even less bus-crowd-tourist than Thomas is

Perhaps. But unlike me, you travel foreign countries armed with this high-caliber camera. It makes you look so much more threatening than I do. Razz

Quite the opposite, quite the opposite: people are even friendlier, because they think I'm from the local or - even better - national or international press! :wink:
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 11:23 am
Quote:
You're probably right. Still, there are nuances. For example, this guy in Chicago was extremely nice even though I hadn't approached him at all. I wouldn't expect this to happen in Germany.

Even our homeless are friendly! Laughing (Although my cynical side suspects he was angling for a tip. :wink: )
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 03:40 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
You see!! Where is your brother, Urs?

CJ, my brother lives in a suburb of Atlanta. And they have a southern dialect just like us Swabians!

In Germany, I think a lot of people are not as friendly and willing to help as in the US. So I try to be and show them... A lot of times it works.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 03:50 pm
Thomas wrote:
Swimpy wrote:
We were guests in your country and I tried my best to be polite.

I'm not surprised at all, and I'm also not surprised (if a teeny bit relieved) that the Germans reciprocated. I think Jane has a good point about the busloads of American tourists in Germany. It's the same the other way round. Sometimes when I'm in America, I see the equivalent German busload. Whenever it appears near the horizon, I try extra hard to hide my German accent so Americans don't notice I'm one of them. And Murphy knows that I, although a non-bus kind of tourist, have committed own my share of gaffes in America.

Talking of helpfulness to strangers, I will never forget my very first day in Chicago. After arriving at my hotel, I needed to exchange several rounds of emails with a friend. My hotel had no internet connection. So every two hours or so, I would walk back and forth between my hotel and a Kinko's about five blocks away. On my third round, a man walked up to me. He wore threadbare clothes and had gaps between his teeth. I thought: "U-oh, he's going to ask me for money. I only hope he'll merely ask me to volunteer it." Seconds later, he stood in front of me and said: "Excuse me sir, but I noticed you walking up and down Rush Street several times. I wonder if you might be lost. Can I help you somehow?" I don't usually blush, but that was one of the rare exceptions. This turn of events came totally unexpected to me -- I'm pretty sure a German passer-by wouldn't behave this way.

On the other hand, maybe it's just that the really nice Germans have emigrated to America's Midwest, and that this Chicagoer was one of them.

I'm always asking people if I can help them with directions, particularly if they look foreign and lost.

Doesn't everyone?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 03:52 pm
Of course. It makes such a fun observing them driving in circles around the block! :wink:
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 03:57 pm
McTag, in Germany you can really scare people when you ask them. It's even funnier to offer them to drive ahead of them and show them the way. Very un-german!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 04:12 pm
Ian's getting married April 7!!!! I won't be able to be there. I'm happy for him but a little sad, too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:09 pm
Congratulations - though I feel sorry that you miss that great day!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:12 pm
Why can't you pop back over there, Swimpy? Congrats to them and to you.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:07 pm
That's not good, Swimpy. Can't you just take a last minute flight over?
IF not, is there at least a possibility to have an "american" wedding
here in the States?

Isn't this your only son? You've got to see him off getting married!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:40 pm
I don't have anymore vacaton days left. I used them all up when I went last month. CJ, I have another son. The plan is to have a more formal ceremony at a later time. I don't have any details about that. At least I feel like I was a little bit prepared for the news. Andrea's parents just found out Ian exists today. They were more than a little shocked! (and not in a good way.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:45 pm
Yeah, they probably think, their daughter is leaving them for the United States. Hm, well then, the formal wedding in the US seems a good
compromise.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:48 pm
Either here or there, I need to talk to the bride to get any real answers.
0 Replies