THE MOST Depressing Film - Ever

Chumly

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:36 pm
Johnny Got His Gun
Quote:
A young American soldier, hit by a shell on the last day of the First World War, lies in a hospital bed, a quadruple amputee who has lost his eyes, ears, mouth and nose. He remains conscious, and able to reason, and tries to communicate to his doctors his wish that he be put on show in a carnival as a demonstration of the horrors of war.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:56 pm
Oh hell yes, Chumly. I'm getting depressed just thinking about that.

The movie itself, and the era of Metallica inspired lougans. :wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:05 pm
Yipes! I guess I better stop while I'm a head.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:11 pm
For me, A. I./Artificial Intelligence and Antwon Fisher are two extremely depressing movies. We own them both on dvd, I watched them once and never watched them again.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:19 pm
I saw "Artificial Intelligence: AI"........machines made in our own image.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:51 pm
I found the Truman Show to be horrifyingly depressing despite the happy ending. The basic premise of the movies was so excrutiatingly cruel that I cringed throughout. The ending couldn't get me to shake the overall feelings of horror and rage at the fundamentals.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 12:05 am
Roberta wrote:
I'm adding They Shoot Horses, Don't They to the list. Not the most depressing, but a major downer.

Oh yes!

God, that made me feel awful!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 01:00 am
Roberta wrote:
I found the Truman Show to be horrifyingly depressing despite the happy ending. The basic premise of the movies was so excrutiatingly cruel that I cringed throughout. The ending couldn't get me to shake the overall feelings of horror and rage at the fundamentals.

Oh same here!!!

I can't watch it, because it just fills me with despair.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 01:29 am
The little known prequel to "Tora Tora Tora!" rents this man's heart.

Imagine the Japanese throwing perfectly innocent bunnies out of hot air balloons to disheartened Hawaiians some years prior to the mechanized air invasion of Pearl Harbor.

"Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit!"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 02:22 am
Chumly wrote:
The little known prequel to “Tora Tora Tora!” rents this man’s heart.

Imagine the Japanese throwing perfectly innocent bunnies out of hot air balloons to disheartened Hawaiians some years prior to the mechanized air invasion of Pearl Harbor.

“Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit!”

Ridicurous!
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 02:02 pm
Requiem for a Dream was depressing and quite disturbing as well... Confused
Dancer in the Dark and The Green Mile were depressing too Crying or Very sad
Still they all are great films! Very Happy
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:29 pm
Yes, Green Mile really upset me. Sad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 09:09 pm
The most depressing film ever?

Wow. There's a lot of competition for that. I've watched a lot of East-European films. So lessee.

Mind you, I'm going on memory from sometimes 10-15 years ago. Also, spoilers ahead, but I'm sure you werent going to see them anyway.

There was Sokurov's The Second Circle, which consisted of a young man travelling to a godforsaken Siberian-looking place because his father is dead, and lying in a prison-cell like sparse home. Lot of moody shots of him feeling numb, his father lying there. Waiting. Nothing much else happens. (Check the User comment by Frank Blaakmeer in the IMDB link above.)

Then there was Sarunas Bartas' The Corridor. Bartas' movies have very sparse dialogue. This one is black and white too. We see a corridor, in a building that could be a deserted psychiatric ward or just a stripped down communal building in the middle of Soviet nowhere. The camera pans and circles a lot, and we see otherwise unidentified people mulling around, drinking and occasionally, but mirthlessly dancing. Everything seems muddy. A boy is taken outside and repeatedly beaten.

Bartas is always good for depressing movies. For example, Few of Us. The dark- and empty-eyed actress who plays in most of his films is dropped by a helicopter somewhere in the endless pine forests. It must be in or around Siberia, because a while after the beginning scene in which she's clambering over rocks for five minutes, she arrives at a threadbare hut, where the people speak an indigenous language, not Russian (if I remember correctly). They drink a lot. Nothing happens. The girl watches.

Hungarian filmmakers are also excellent in the genre. Janos Szasz's version of Woyzeck perhaps takes the biscuit. Again black and white I think. Woyzeck does heavy manual work on some station in a nothing town. His boss sadistically puts him down. He has to do the hardest work. He loves his child (or children?), but his wife hates him, or rather, despises him. He toils on, helplessly ("tovabb, Woyzeck, tovabb" = "onward, Woyzeck, onward"). Then he arrives home one day and finds his wife f*cking his sadistic boss. She sees him, stares at him, and continues. He goes out and kills his child(ren) in a sort of helpless revenge.

The same director then made The Witman Boys. Initially, the film has a much prettier feel, at least, that is to say, in this dark, historical Kafkaesque way. It's set in a bit more picturesque, if stifling and impoverished pre-war era, rather than in some undefined Soviet time. Two identical twins are secretive, loyal to each other and noone else, and unloved by their unaffectionate mother. Instead, they strike up a friendship with a prostitute, who is kind to them. They decide to give her a present. But to get the present, or the money for the present, or I dont remember, plotting is to be done. The slow, almost silent mudslide of the narrative still shocks you when they murder their mother.

Hungarian art movies tend to end with death, often suicide, so often that its a bit of an incrowd joke. I dont remember much about Arpad Sopsits' The Shooting Gallery except that it was heartbreakingly sad, beautiful in this stilted, silent, depressing way, and was about a boy, a teenager?, whose father mistreats him, or perhaps his mother. Again it still comes somewhat as a surprise when he kills his father. In the end scene (as I remember it), he waits silently in front of the police station, the still blue lake behind him.

And there's Bela Tarr, of course. His last masterwork, six years ago already, was Werckmeister Harmonies. Long, black and white, mysterious to the point of inaccesability, and - imo - wondrous and soulshakingly moving. My girlfriend on the other hand, I think, fell asleep. Impossible to describe, I'd think, but the "plot summary" on IMDB does pretty well actually.

I also once saw a Kazakh movie - or was it Uzbek? - called... The Dove's Bell-Ringer. At a filmfestival. The first hour was excruciatingly slow, without the benefit offered by many of the above films of beautifully moody, almost mystical images. A very effective representation of mindnumbing boredom. There's a boy and a girl. For some reason (run away from home after a fight, I think?) they have taken refuge in the hut he spends his days in (being the dove's bell-ringer). They argue a lot, though with very few words. They are obviously attracted to each other, but haplessly so, and he struggles with awkward agression. Nothing much happens through most of the film until a dramatic end, in which they both, I believe, die violent deaths.

In the same year, I saw a Czech movie called The Cow. It's about a cow. Well, about the peasant who owns it. Work is hard, murderously so. Veering away from the minimalistic, almost non-involved style of the above films, this director lends a heavy religious symbolism of suffering to the film. They struggle to survive and to retain their dignity and independence (against an at least implied backdrop of oppressive forces). That's about it. The IMDB plot summary adds some detail that I dont remember: "As a child, fleeing the bleak reality of his mother's life as a prostitute, [Adam] tumbled from a mountain and was mentally injured. Years later, his mother is dying, so Adam sells their only cow to pay for medicine".

Fred Kelemen's Frost deserves a mention too. Unlike in his previous, grim, grainy Fate, in which a staggering, lost drunken woman collapses into a dingy cafe where the men, instead of helping her, end up raping her, this film seems more quiet. But after over three hours of seeing a mother and son, homeless or lost between places after fleeing the man who beat her, trudge in real time through frozen fields, a desultory funfair, unidentified scenes of urban desolation, you will be sure to feel even more depressed. On the other hand, at least (well, according to me, not according to the IMDB raters who rate it 4.7 out of 10), it absorbs you in a kind of visual trance -- unlike the Austrian movie Struggle, which is filmed with effective harsh distaste, and leaves you with same.

Lots more like these... The Asthenic Syndrom, D'Est, The Cremator, Three Days, Swan Lake - The Zone, The Outpost.. And Romanian films appear to add a Ceasescu-esque note of terror to the ubiquitous numb or metaphysical loneliness, for example in The Oak or Every Day, God Kisses Us on the Mouth..

Closer to home, Mike Leigh's Naked is pretty depressing too, and Greenaway's Baby of Macon is depressing in its extravagant repellingness. But thats a whole different kettle of fish.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 02:01 am
nimh,
It's too bad you have not seen any depressing Eastern European films Shocked
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 02:25 am
Are we talking depressing because of the way the movie made you feel, or depressing because it wasted 2 hours of your life?

Having battled with personal depression, I normally avoid movies that I think could have that effect on me.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 03:39 am
Me?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 08:38 am
Chumly wrote:
nimh,
It's too bad you have not seen any depressing Eastern European films Shocked

Ha!

Believe it or not, actually, some of those films were amazingly beautiful or moving..
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 10:20 pm
I have never been able to get passed the first ten minutes of Clint Eastwood's "Bird" with Forest Whittaker. And I've seen "Days of Wine and Roses" with Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick only once. Just don't have the heart to watch it again. Naybe not the most depressing but certainly on my top ten list.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 10:47 pm
Chai wrote:
Requiem for a Dream.

I was so disturbed after that....for a long time.

Ha, I came in this thread just to see if anyone had mentioned that yet!

That is probably the most depressing movie I've ever seen. Any movie that ends with all the main characters huddled up in the fetal position-- and you feel like doing the same thing-- yeah, depressing. Laughing
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 10:57 pm
eoe wrote:
For me, A. I./Artificial Intelligence and Antwon Fisher are two extremely depressing movies. We own them both on dvd, I watched them once and never watched them again.

Antwone Fischer? Really? I found that one really uplifting, if I'm thinking of the right one....? Isn't that the one that the screenplay was written by the real-life guy? I thought he ended up having a pretty successful and good life, unless I am thinking of a different movie.
0 Replies