THE MOST Depressing Film - Ever

Roberta

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 01:58 am
The Shop on Mainstreet. It was the last movie I saw (or will ever see) about the Holocaust.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 05:05 am
The Grey Zone (2001) is also a very depressing holocaust movie.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 06:16 am
I don't know if this is the most depressing film EVER, but it certainly was a downer for me.

It is called "Seance on a Wet Afternoon". It happened to be an excellent film, but I saw it at a time that I had gotten terrible news, and I was in a deep funk. The film did nothing to lighten my mood. I should have opted for the Marx Brothers, at that particular point in time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058557/
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 07:36 am
Paaskynen wrote:

That sounds like Spawn (1997) IMDB entry

thank you, Paaskynen. That's it!
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:34 am
Seance on a wet afternoon was an excellent film. It did not use cheap tricks, just powerful personalities.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:44 pm
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is not depressing at all. The title says why.
"Shoah" was tough, but what I remember the most is the interviews with Polish peasants and villagers near the concentration camp. Tells a lot about the misery of humankind. Made me think, but did not depress me.

Films that I remember left me depressed:

"The Land of Silence and Darkness", by Werner Herzog: the world of the deaf, dumb and blind. Shattering.

"Dancer in the Dark". Life's unfair.

"Sophie's Choice". Terribly sad story, dislikable characters made it even more depressing.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:55 pm
Sophie's choice was incredibly depressing. Cries and Whispers was just plain painful to watch.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:55 pm
I was just about to post "Cries and Whispers".
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:41 am
fbaezer wrote

Quote:
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is not depressing at all. The title says why.

I disagree. The way a film / story makes someone feel is a subjective thing and can be interpreted in so many different ways.

The title gives you a clue as to how you should feel but I don't thinks it's that simple. I think it also depends on your state of mind at the time you watch it.

There are loads of films here that people have mentioned that I am really interested in seeing but I'm too scared in case I disturb myself to death!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 10:15 am
Well, since the thread is about "most depressing," I think we should be able to agree that Cuckoo's Nest should be out. Is anyone of sound mind not depressed by Cuckoo's Nest? Yes. Is anyone of sound mind not depressed by Sophie's Choice? I should hope not.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:58 am
Sophie's Choice
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:03 am
I'm adding They Shoot Horses, Don't They to the list. Not the most depressing, but a major downer.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:27 am
I had a particularly hard time watching Deer Hunter.

I watched Natural Born Killer with Bear several years ago. When daughter came home the other day saying she only got to see part of it at her boyfriends house before he had to bring her home, I couldn't believe she wasn't more disturbed by it. Of course, she had come in towards the end after all the killing. I had to urge her not to rent it. Too depressing and disturbing.

Then again, it took me over a year before I would watch The Sopranos with Bear.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:22 am
I watched "They Shoot Horses, Don't They", yesterday on TCM and was going to add it to the list, but Roberta beat me to it.

I was depressed after watching:

The Hours
Iris
Sylvia
Hilary and Jackie (although I loved the cello pieces)
Midnight Cowboy

but "Sophie's Choice" and "Jude" top my list of depressing movies.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:23 am
Don't forget about the Tom Green movie...
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:05 pm
That film where Nicholas Cage is an alcoholic, Leaving Las Vegas I think it's called. That was pretty depressing too.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:21 pm
"I'm a prickly pear!"

Priceless comedy.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:08 pm
Re: THE MOST Depressing Film - Ever
Dorothy Parker wrote:
Recently saw One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest for the first time. Don't know why I hadn't seen it sooner as it has some very fine acting indeed.

However, it left me feeling heartbroken. The only other film which made such an impression on me was The Elephant Man.

Which films have made you feel this way?

It was depressing, however, it did end with a positive spirit in my mind - with cheif doing what Jack Nichelson wanted to do the whole movie - the ending to me gave a lift by ending it that way.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:13 pm
I haven't seen all the films that people listed so I can't say one way or the other, but most, even though depressing, had some uplifting part about their ending.

To me the most depressing was Death of A Salesman. There was not one thing that was uplifting about that movie.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:30 pm
Eraserhead http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eraserhead

Quote:
The setting of the film seems to be a sort of industrial wasteland. Electric lights continually flicker, sewer pipes constantly leak, and a mechanical humming sound is ubiquitous.

Henry Spencer (Nance) is a printer, although, for the length of the film, he is "on vacation". He gives off an air of nervousness, but makes few direct qualms about his life situation. At the start of the film, Henry, who has not heard from his girlfriend, Mary X (Charlotte Stewart) for a while, mistakenly believes that she has ended their relationship. He is then unexpectedly invited to have dinner with Mary and her parents at their house. At the dinner he is told that Mary has given birth to a baby after an abnormally short pregnancy. Henry is then obliged to marry her.

Mary and the strange, reptilian-looking baby move into Henry's one-room apartment, but the baby continually cries, which deprives Mary of sleep. This pushes her to breaking point, and she abandons Henry and the baby. After Mary leaves, Henry must care for the baby by himself, and he becomes involved in a series of strange events. These include bizarre encounters with the Lady in the Radiator (Laurel Near), a woman with grotesquely distended cheeks who lives in his radiator (she sings the iconic song "In Heaven"), visions of the ominous Man in the Planet (Jack Fisk), and a sexual liaison with his neighbor, the Beautiful Girl Across the Hall (Judith Anna Roberts).

Henry Spencer.Mysterious worms appear in many of the film's scenes and are often seen as a metaphor for sin, although other interpretations are possible.[citation needed] As a metaphor for sin, their resemblance to sperm cells indicates that the premarital sex that led to the baby was Henry's first and most troubling sin.[citation needed]

The film's title comes from a relatively long dream sequence occurring during the last half hour of the film. In it, Henry's head detaches from his body, sinks into a growing pool of blood on a tile floor, falls from the sky, and, finally, lands on an empty street and cracks open. A young boy (Thomas Coulson) finds Henry's broken head and takes it to a pencil factory, where Paul (Darwin Joston), the desk clerk, is rendered speechless by the gruesome sight and summons his ill-tempered boss (Neil Moran) to the front desk by repeatedly pushing a buzzer. The boss, angered by the summons, yells at Paul, but regains his composure when he sees what the little boy has brought. The boss and the boy carry the head to a back room where the Pencil Machine Operator (Hal Landon Jr.) takes a core sample of Henry's brain and determines that it is a servicable material for pencil erasers. The boy is then rewarded for bringing in Henry's head.

Shortly after waking from this dream, Henry seeks out the Beautiful Girl Across the Hall, but he finds her at her apartment with another man. The baby then begins to laugh, and Henry takes a pair of scissors and cuts open the baby's bandages, which turn out to be part of its flesh (or simply what is holding all of its organs together). By cutting the bandages, Henry splits open the baby's body and exposes its vital organs. As the baby screams, Henry stabs its heart with the scissors. This causes the apartment's electricity to overload, and as the lights flicker on and off, an apparition of the baby's head, grown to an enormous size, materializes in the apartment. The last scene features Henry being embraced by the Lady in the Radiator, which suggests that, after killing the baby, he may have committed suicide and is now dead.
0 Replies