Win XP

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:33 pm
So far I have not been very excited about this program, probably because 98 worked so well for me, how can I get spell check to work in outlook? I have tried the obvious and
have done a re-install it might possibly have solved some of my problems and I might be able to get used to some of the annoyances in a year or so,
I found a solution to the fact that it is VERY hard to get day and date, I will keep the bar on top that says "center"
Here is my other solution
http://www.suite101.com/files/mysites/AskAlice/Clock.htm

Thanks for this great site and any help you can give me, A
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,070 • Replies: 31
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:49 pm
Chevelle, WELCOME to A2K. There are several people on A2K who can help you with computer problems, but I'm not one of them. I've been using Win XP for over two years, and I love it, because I had Win ME before, and that OS locked up on us once a week or more. Window XP has never locked up. Maybe you need to go to Control Panel, and look for the Time/Date option. As for Spell Check, I use MS Word. c.i.
0 Replies

Chevelle

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:48 pm
Thanks, hopefully this one is a simple one, "script error" (Do you want to continue running scripts on this page)
Must be a little button for this one? A
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:50 pm
Chevelle,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you getting an error when loading the script for the clock?
0 Replies

Chevelle

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:39 pm
I thought this pop up had went away but it just happened again, it will happen with any web page at any time, sometimes I have to click yes several times and we go on with business, I will get more info if needed, A
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:44 pm
When you say popuup are you talking about teh javascript error popups? Those can easily be disabled. Are you talking about popup windows with ads?
0 Replies

Airb

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:56 pm
As to the spelling in Outlook Express it requires one of the MS-Office components to be installed i.e Word, Excel or Powerpoint. I'm not sure if the full version of Outlook has the same requirement but Outlook express needs one of the other programs installed.
0 Replies

Chevelle

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 04:22 pm
Great!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Maybe this computer wont end up in Galveston Bay after all.........
It is just amazing how comfortable and spoiled we get when we have everything set up to work like a Bentley.
Right now things seem to work pretty smooth.

Seems like everything in script is enabled, should I disable something?

I will try to get more information on spellcheck from WORD, maybe I can find something, Å
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 04:38 pm
Javascript errors are almost always due to poor coding skills by the webdesigner. If the popup is bugging you just turn off the error messages.

To do this in IE:

Tools > Options > Advanced

Then scroll down till you see "Display a notification about every script error".

MAke sure that box is unclicked.
0 Replies

Chevelle

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:24 pm
Well, Thank you again Rolling Eyes
When it comes to Outlook I might have to give up for now,
Send, paste and attach works, who cares about spelling anyway Question
I have been moving those little icons around trying to activate them and nothing, I do have spelling in Word so I will survive.
And I don't have time for it, have to go find an avatar.
Life is wonderful, Å
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:29 pm
Well, if you are willing to edit your registry (I don't recommend that anyone but advanced computer users do this) I can help you with your spell check problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224176 wrote:
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to check the spelling in a message in Outlook Express 5, 5.01, or 5.5, you may receive the following error message:

An error occurred while the spelling was being checked.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if any one of the following conditions is true:
The value data for the SharedFilesDir registry value does not contain a trailing backslash (\) in the following registry key (that is, there should be a backslash immediately after Shared Tools):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools

Absence of this trailing backslash prevents location of the Csapi3t1.dll file and causes the spelling checker not to function properly.
The Csapi3t1.dll file, which is located in the Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof folder, is missing or damaged.
The Mssp232.dll or Mssp2_en.lex file is missing or damaged.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:32 pm
I'm not sure if the above is the solution. Is it outlook or outlook express?

There are other possible causes with their own solutions but I'm gonna wait to see if you are:

a) interested

and

b) using Outlook Express or Outlook
0 Replies

Chevelle

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:59 pm
That box is un-checked, I wrote down what the script err mess
says.
Who do I call???
Script busters
Laughing
I found something to cure all these problems
Drunk
Just kidding it is too hot to drink

It is Outlook Express

Yes, I am interested
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 06:01 pm
Well, there can be many problems. First of all does the spell check work in Outlook Express? If not what is the error message.
0 Replies

Chevelle

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 06:14 pm
Not sure if this is the problem, since I can not get it to activate at all, but I am certainly willing to try, thanks for taking the time, very much appreciated

No error message, button stays grey,
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 06:18 pm
In outlook or in Outlook express?
0 Replies

Chevelle

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 06:36 pm
Outlook Express
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 06:51 pm
First of all, Outlook Express uses the spell checker engine included in Microsoft Office.

My guess is that your install of Office has a spell checker engine that is not compatible with your version of Outlook Express.

Here is what Microsoft has to say about Spell Check unavailable in Outlook Express

Microsoft wrote:
SYMPTOMS
After you install Outlook Express 4.x, and then install Microsoft Office 2000, the spell checker tool in Outlook Express may be unavailable.

CAUSE
This issue can occur because the proofing tools included with Office 2000 are not compatible with Outlook Express 4.x.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, install Outlook Express 5.0. To do this, follow these steps:
Insert your Microsoft Office 2000 CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type the following line, and then click OK
drive:\Ie5\En\Ie5setup.exe

where drive is the letter of your CD-ROM drive.
Follow the instructions on your screen to install Outlook Express 5.0.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 06:53 pm
If those instructions don't apply to your exact computer enviroment they are probably still relevant. Your problem is an incompatibility between Office and Outlook Express.

If you give the versions of both I can give you a better answer but try installing the latest version of Outlook Express.
0 Replies

Chevelle

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:47 pm
I am not sure, I thought it was part of Explorer 6, this is what I have,
and WordPerfect 10.

Found it! Outlook6
0 Replies