What is the relationship between a leguaan and a crocodile?

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:15 am
dlowan wrote:
Roberta wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Roberta wrote:
Bunny honey, the average size of a Nile crocodile is 16 feet. You would be a snack.

I am talking about AUSTRALIAN freshies.

They are wusses.

Okey dokey. I bow to your native knowledge of such matters. I never personally encountered an Australian freshie, so what do I know?

You're a cheetah.

You know from running.

Right. So I am outta h----e------r------e. Whoosh.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:22 am
Whoosh. I'm back.

Gus, I've been trying to find a photo of a leguaan and a crocodile in mortal combat. We aims to please. Can't find nuttin'. In fact, I'm having a hard time finding leguaans. They keep calling them monitor lizards. One sight said they were iguanas. Not fight photos. Sorry.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:14 pm
I appreciate your efforts, Roberta. This thing isn't over yet.

Somewhere such a film exists.

Persistence and patience are my friends.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:19 pm
Roberta, thas cuz the old fool misnamed the little bastids. They are called GOANNA
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:29 pm
ohhh sheeeeet goanna are no competition for any kinda croc. Sorry gus but you wont find such a video.

Goanna are however a nasty bunch in their own right. their one saving grace is they eat snakes. A fight to the death between a king brown and a goanna is fast and furiouse. yeah! pretty to watch.

http://www.authaboriginalart.com.au/uploads/SW0197(05).jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:36 pm
Again it was in the days when animals walked on two legs and were in every way as human beings. There were two tribes, which lived together, Mungoongali the Goannas, and Piggiebillah the Porcupines. It was an uneasy association, for their ancestors, who came from distant lands in the west, had been of different types. The Goannas were born thieves, while the Porcupines were a much more self-reliant tribe, and were expert hunters.

In the eastern plain to which the two tribes had migrated, the Piggiebillahs occupied themselves in hunting, but the food of the Mungoongalis was confined to the sugarbags of the native bees, which they gathered by climbing trees, and to food which they stole from the stores of the Porcupines.

It is sad to relate that their depredations went further than this, for the unprotected children of the Mungoongalis were killed and eaten in secret.

On one occasion the Goannas invited their neighbours to join them on a hunting expedition. The Porcupines laughed scornfully.

'Have you become expert in the chase since yesterday, or the day before?' they asked. 'Thank you for your offer, but we will do much better without you.'

'Please come with us,' they begged. 'We know that we cannot hunt, but while you are busy we will gather sugarbags from the trees.'

'Well,' one of the younger Porcupines said to his people, 'that might be different. Shall we join them?'

'In view of the fact that you are notoriously unsuccessful in climbing trees, I suggest that you are showing more than your usual sagacity,' the oldest Porcupine observed sarcastically.

The men of the two tribes went out together. The Porcupines made a great killing, but by the end of the day the Goannas had not gathered a single sugarbag. Although they were adept at tree climbing, they were too lazy to exert themselves in the hot sun. Whenever they saw they were being watched, they pretended to cut footholds in the tree trunks, but as soon as the Porcupines' backs were turned, they lay down and went to sleep.

'Never mind,' the Goannas said at the end of the day. 'Honeybags are scarce this year. Now it is time for you to rest. We will cook the food. Go to sleep. We will call you when the food is ready.'

The firelight flickered on the leaves of the trees and on the sleeping forms of the Piggiebillahs. Now and then one of them would turn over and ask drowsily, 'Is supper ready yet?'

'Not yet. Go to sleep. We will wake you when it is ready.'

When the food was cooked the Mungoongalis scampered up the trees and hid in the foliage. One of them remained behind and threw the roasted bodies of the animals one by one to his companions. While doing so he passed too close to the fire, knocking against a burning log so that it fell on to one of the Piggiebillahs. The Porcupine woke with a scream. The others jumped to their feet and saw the food vanishing into the trees.

One of the Piggiebillahs snatched a burning stick from the fire and belaboured the Mungoongali. The strokes fell across his golden body, burning the flesh and leaving a pattern of black and yellow stripes, which has since been the distinctive coloration of the Goannas.

It is not surprising, therefore, that the Mungoongalis and the Piggiebillahs stud-iously avoided each other after that, nor that they entertain the most uncharitable thoughts about each other.

A.W. Reed, Aboriginal Fables and Legendary Tales
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:47 pm
Thanks, farmerman, for the enlightenment. Checked out goannas. Plenty on google. I don't think they'd fare well against a crocodile.

dadpad, I love the drawing and the story. Thanks. Also thanks for not charging me your usual $65 consulting fee for them--or have I spoken too soon? I'm gone. Whoosh.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:21 pm
farmerman knows not of what he speaks when he compares the leguaan to the goanna but he did, nonetheless, provide the impetus for me to search out such a creature and, while not as formidable as the leguaan, the goanna would offer a serious challenge to any crocodile it encountered.

For example, examine this one...

http://www.kidcyber.com.au/IMAGES/goann.jpg

He seems to be saying, "Hey, any crocs around here? C'mon out, croccies! I'll kick your asses! Yeah, dat's right... I'm one mean sum bitch!"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:24 pm
dadpad wrote:
Again it was in the days when animals walked on two legs and were in every way as human beings. There were two tribes, which lived together, Mungoongali the Goannas, and Piggiebillah the Porcupines. It was an uneasy association, for their ancestors, who came from distant lands in the west, had been of different types. The Goannas were born thieves, while the Porcupines were a much more self-reliant tribe, and were expert hunters.

In the eastern plain to which the two tribes had migrated, the Piggiebillahs occupied themselves in hunting, but the food of the Mungoongalis was confined to the sugarbags of the native bees, which they gathered by climbing trees, and to food which they stole from the stores of the Porcupines.

It is sad to relate that their depredations went further than this, for the unprotected children of the Mungoongalis were killed and eaten in secret.

On one occasion the Goannas invited their neighbours to join them on a hunting expedition. The Porcupines laughed scornfully.

'Have you become expert in the chase since yesterday, or the day before?' they asked. 'Thank you for your offer, but we will do much better without you.'

'Please come with us,' they begged. 'We know that we cannot hunt, but while you are busy we will gather sugarbags from the trees.'

'Well,' one of the younger Porcupines said to his people, 'that might be different. Shall we join them?'

'In view of the fact that you are notoriously unsuccessful in climbing trees, I suggest that you are showing more than your usual sagacity,' the oldest Porcupine observed sarcastically.

The men of the two tribes went out together. The Porcupines made a great killing, but by the end of the day the Goannas had not gathered a single sugarbag. Although they were adept at tree climbing, they were too lazy to exert themselves in the hot sun. Whenever they saw they were being watched, they pretended to cut footholds in the tree trunks, but as soon as the Porcupines' backs were turned, they lay down and went to sleep.

'Never mind,' the Goannas said at the end of the day. 'Honeybags are scarce this year. Now it is time for you to rest. We will cook the food. Go to sleep. We will call you when the food is ready.'

The firelight flickered on the leaves of the trees and on the sleeping forms of the Piggiebillahs. Now and then one of them would turn over and ask drowsily, 'Is supper ready yet?'

'Not yet. Go to sleep. We will wake you when it is ready.'

When the food was cooked the Mungoongalis scampered up the trees and hid in the foliage. One of them remained behind and threw the roasted bodies of the animals one by one to his companions. While doing so he passed too close to the fire, knocking against a burning log so that it fell on to one of the Piggiebillahs. The Porcupine woke with a scream. The others jumped to their feet and saw the food vanishing into the trees.

One of the Piggiebillahs snatched a burning stick from the fire and belaboured the Mungoongali. The strokes fell across his golden body, burning the flesh and leaving a pattern of black and yellow stripes, which has since been the distinctive coloration of the Goannas.

It is not surprising, therefore, that the Mungoongalis and the Piggiebillahs stud-iously avoided each other after that, nor that they entertain the most uncharitable thoughts about each other.

A.W. Reed, Aboriginal Fables and Legendary Tales

We don't DO porcupines.

We do echidna.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 10:36 pm
Deb, I wondered about the porcupines. I know there aren't any in Australia. I took it to be poetic license of the story teller.

Gus, The goanna photo. Definitely a "don't-mess-with-me" kinda guy. But not sufficiently formidable to take on a croc, IMO. I'm willing to give leguaans another shot, but google is not being cooperative. Is this the only name these critters go by?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:34 am
Re: Leguaans

1. Many of the leguaan sites on google are written in German. Me no speaka da language.
2. I looked at three different photos of leguaans and was shown three different lizards.
3. This thread appears on google.

What the hell is this thing?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:37 am
A few factiods

In South Africa, monitors are often referred to as "leguaans" which is probably a corruption of the word "Iguana" - a family of spine-crested, vegetarian lizards to which they are not closely related. Similarly, the Australians sometimes refer to monitors as "goannas". Interestingly, the name "monitor" may also be a case of mistaken identity: common in Egypt, they became known by the general Arabic term for lizards, ouaran. Pronounced waran, this was apparently confused by German naturalists for warnen, which was interpreted as "warning lizards". This was then Latinized to Varanus (the genus). Monitor came from this and has given rise to some authors attempting to explain the name by the lizard's alleged habit of keeping a look out, or giving warning of the presence of crocodiles! (Which is a myth of course).

AND

If the word 'leguaans' is Afrikaans (although I believe that 'likkewaan' is a more common word in Afrikaans) it probably comes from the Dutch word 'leguaan'. In Dutch the name is correctly used for the species of the order Iguania. The Dutch name for monitors is 'varaan', from the name of the genus Varanus,

both posts from

sanparks forums

Surprisingly there are few published accounts of interactive behaviours such as ritual combat or courtship in Nile monitors. This can be attributed to the secretive behaviour of these huge lizards. Adults have been seen wrestling on the ground (presumed to be courtship by Clements (1968) but interpreted as ritual combat by Horn (1985). They have also been observed standing on their hind legs (Wearne 1962), but bipedal combat has not been observed to occur in this species. The Nile monitor makes great use of its tail for defence and the battered condition of these appendages in old specimens is attributed to its regular use as a club with which to deter aggressors.

A number of unusual behaviours have been noted amongst Nile monitors. A young monitor lizard that fell into a enclosure full of young (30cm) crocodiles seized several of the crocodiles and turned them onto their backs before being removed. The crocodiles were estimated to weigh twice as much as the lizard (Pooley 1968).

According to Stevenson-Hamilton (1947) a monitor surrounded by four large lion cubs kept perfectly motionless apart from occasionally twitching its tail tip. The lion cubs watched closely, but appeared to interpret the movements as that of a snake and eventually wandered away.

The same author reports that an eagle which seized a Nile monitor was in turn seized by the thigh by the lizards, which steadfastly refused to let go. When found by a ranger the bird was in a state of utter exhaustion.

Buffrenil (1992) considered that, when fighting for its life, a Nile monitor was a more dangerous adversary than a crocodile of a similar size.

online Little Book of Monitor Lizards

You might be onto something Gus!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:41 am
yeah dadpad, gustav has quoted from your site on page 2 - he
knew this already. I guess he just likes to ask questions, but now
we found him another forum in the SA swamp, and he is already
heavily involved there.

In fact he's trying to merge - gwendolen is already here! Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 04:21 pm
So I'm at a party last night, and the hosts decided we should play Scattergories. The topic--animals. The letter--g. I told my team to say "goannas." Huh? Who? "Trust me, on this," I said. Of course nobody else had goannas. Thank you, farmerman.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 05:51 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

In fact he's trying to merge - gwendolen is already here! Laughing

But I saw her here first.
0 Replies