What is the relationship between a leguaan and a crocodile?

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:28 pm
I'm not asking if they're related in a family way, but rather how do they interact with each other in the wild? The leguaan doesn't get the recognition it so richly deserves on the internet and I have been unable to find much information regarding this magnificent creature.

It seems to me I heard somewhere that leguaan and crocodiles were mortal enemies. That's what I've been looking for, some information regarding that vague memory, but, like I said, there's not much out there.

Who is the resident leguaan expert on A2K? Patiodog? Does he treat these creatures?

Anyone else have an expertise in the leguaan field?

This will be the Leguaan Thread. I will post the following photo and then wait for responses. (By the way, that is a leguaan and a turtle in the photo, not a leguaan and a crocodile. I had to improvise.)

http://www.sanparks.org/gallery/d/14011-2/tortoise_friend.JPG
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,474 • Replies: 74
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:39 pm
Crocodiles eat leguaans.

Adult leguaans sometimes eat baby crocs, and croc eggs.

Other than that, they basically avoid each other.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:43 pm
Is a leguaan the same thing as a Nile monitor?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:46 pm
Elsewhere beetles, spiders, orthopterans, snakes, lizards, young crocodiles, fish, small mammals (including domestic cats), birds and their eggs, frogs, toads, crabs, snails, slugs, turtles, termites, caterpillars and reptile eggs (including those of crocodiles, agamids and varanids) are all included in the diet

We've established that the leguaan will eat crocodile youth and crocodiles eggs, but, and this is the key question: Do adult leguaans and adult crocodiles engage in battles?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:48 pm
For those of you who have considered purchasing a leguaan as a pet, and especially those of you who own cats, I would suggest you read the follwing text...

There are few lizards less suited to life in captivity than the Nile monitor. Buffrenil (1992) considered that, when fighting for its life, a Nile monitor was a more dangerous adversary than a crocodile of a similar size. Their care presents particular problems on account of the lizards' enormous size and lively dispositions. Very few of the people who buy brightly-coloured baby Nile monitors can be aware that, within a couple of years, their purchase will have turned into an enormous, ferocious carnivore, quite capable of breaking the family cat's neck with a single snap and swallowing it whole.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:52 pm
Nile monitors are disgusting creatures who go around spying on all the animals, and telling the Nile Prefects whenever an animal breaks the law of the jungle.

They are universally despised as grassers, and have pretty much had to try to become domesticated in order to avoid being bashed up by gangs of the other animals.

Wikipedia has instructions on keeping them, should you wish to have one of these uber tale bearers of the reptile world clasped like a viper to your bosom.

Frankly, especially in this new world of no habeas corpus to speak of, I would eschew a pet of such dubious character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_monitor

Here is one hiding from justice:

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/reptile-pictures-breeders-babies/nile-monitor-lizard-pictures-breeders-babies/pictures/nile-monitor-lizard-0002.jpg

Even a capybara farmer can tell it is not a leguaan.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:54 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Elsewhere beetles, spiders, orthopterans, snakes, lizards, young crocodiles, fish, small mammals (including domestic cats), birds and their eggs, frogs, toads, crabs, snails, slugs, turtles, termites, caterpillars and reptile eggs (including those of crocodiles, agamids and varanids) are all included in the diet

We've established that the leguaan will eat crocodile youth and crocodiles eggs, but, and this is the key question: Do adult leguaans and adult crocodiles engage in battles?

No.

Unless you call pleas like "Don't kill me!!!" from the leguuan to be battle cries.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:57 pm
Where is your proof, dlowan? I would suspect a leguaan and a crocodile of equal size would be capable of having a very spirited and close-fought battle.

I am still not convinced this sort of epic battle does not occur, and, I suspect there may be one taking place as I type.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:02 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Where is your proof, dlowan? I would suspect a leguaan and a crocodile of equal size would be capable of having a very spirited and close-fought battle.

I am still not convinced this sort of epic battle does not occur, and, I suspect there may be one taking place as I type.

My proof is a comparison of the adult size of each, which I suggest you busy your brain with.

It IS possible that such battles might occur between individuals of equal MASS, but your call that both be "adult" prevented this possibility from being under consideration.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:03 pm
I think most likely their relationship is extremely adversarial should their paths cross - a circumstance I understand neither goes out of its way to engender. I note that a difference between them is around a half a ton, advantage crocodile. Not much promise of spirited battle there.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:05 pm
Bull crap.

But, since you are so picky, let's go with mass.

Do adult crocodiles and leguaans, of equal mass, ever engage in battles?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:07 pm
Ratzenhofer wrote:
Where is your proof, dlowan? I would suspect a leguaan and a crocodile of EQUAL size would be capable of having a very spirited and close-fought battle

I capitilized a key word for dlowan's edification.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:08 pm
Why did you quote me in your signature? Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:08 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Bull crap.

But, since you are so picky, let's go with mass.

Do adult crocodiles and leguaans, of equal mass, ever engage in battles?

No.

Being of equal mass means that, as predators, they do not engage with each other, since the chances of success are not worth the risk. Since they do not compete for mates, they do not fight over this, either.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:10 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I think most likely their relationship is extremely adversarial should their paths cross - a circumstance I understand neither goes out of its way to engender. I note that a difference between them is around a half a ton, advantage crocodile. Not much promise of spirited battle there.

Again, I am speaking of a battle of equal-sized creatures. I know a Irish Wolfhound would destroy a cat, but what about a Pomeranian against a really big cat?

Eh?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:11 pm
dlowan wrote:
No.

Being of equal mass means that, as predators, they do not engage with each other, since the chances of success are not worth the risk. Since they do not compete for mates, they do not fight over this, either.

There must be an occasion when a territorial matter arises.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:12 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Why did you quote me in your signature? Shocked

Why not?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:12 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
dlowan wrote:
No.

There must be an occasion when a territorial matter arises.

They have been known to do battle over a good parking space.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:13 pm
Finally someone is taking this matter seriously. Thank you, Green Witch.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:15 pm
No problem.

good night Gracie - uhh I mean Gus.
0 Replies