What is the relationship between a leguaan and a crocodile?

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:17 pm
So help me God, I am going to find a video of a leguaan and a crocodile battling each other. And then I am going to jump on a plane and fly to Australia. Once there I will race to dlowan's house and shake the video in her face and scream, "PUT THIS IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!!"

She will meekly take the video and proceed to watch it. Afterwards she will offer me a weak apology and I will accept it and return home.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:17 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Ratzenhofer wrote:
Where is your proof, dlowan? I would suspect a leguaan and a crocodile of EQUAL size would be capable of having a very spirited and close-fought battle

I capitilized a key word for dlowan's edification.

a. That is capitAlized.

b. Your original included the word "adult" which you have malignly excluded here.

c. I deduce that some burr irketh your posterior, Gus. Why so desirous of great battleagement between these two beasts? Something's wrong, isn't it?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:18 pm
Nothing is wrong. Just curious is all.

Read the original post.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:19 pm
dlowan" wrote:
Your original included the word "adult" which you have malignly excluded here.

Untrue.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:19 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
So help me God, I am going to find a video of a leguaan and a crocodile battling each other. And then I am going to jump on a plane and fly to Australia. Once there I will race to dlowan's house and shake the video in her face and scream, "PUT THIS IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!!"

She will meekly take the video and proceed to watch it. Afterwards she will offer me a weak apology and I will accept it and return home.

See?

Such bloodust.

Poor Gus...you've been hurt, haven't you?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:20 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Elsewhere beetles, spiders, orthopterans, snakes, lizards, young crocodiles, fish, small mammals (including domestic cats), birds and their eggs, frogs, toads, crabs, snails, slugs, turtles, termites, caterpillars and reptile eggs (including those of crocodiles, agamids and varanids) are all included in the diet

We've established that the leguaan will eat crocodile youth and crocodiles eggs, but, and this is the key question: Do adult leguaans and adult crocodiles engage in battles?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:20 pm
I have been hurt many times, but that is not relevant to the subject at hand.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:21 pm
Quit trying to be so technical, dlowan.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:21 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
dlowan wrote:
No.

Being of equal mass means that, as predators, they do not engage with each other, since the chances of success are not worth the risk. Since they do not compete for mates, they do not fight over this, either.

There must be an occasion when a territorial matter arises.

Different territories.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:22 pm
Ok, I have to leave. Hopefully by tomorrow morning someone will have posted a video of the battle of which I seek.

Until then...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:27 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Ok, I have to leave. Hopefully by tomorrow morning someone will have posted a video of the battle of which I seek.

Until then...

Gus, I am wounded.

I try, so very hard, torespond honestly and accurately to you.

I do not look down upon you as a poor capybara farmer and goat ferker, and feed you milky biological pap, Disney style, I honour you with fierce scholarship, reality and logic.

Yet, you strike at me and wound my heart.

Shall I cease my pedagogic endeavours, and give you simplistic, manichean, Busheyland platitudes and falsities?

http://diveintomark.org/public/2006/07/you-make-bunny-cry.jpg
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 12:51 pm
http://www.hotel-samara.com/images/coco2.jpg

This delightful photograph was taken in Costa Rica. Here you see a crocodile that has just won a battle with a leguan.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:28 pm
I'm not sold on that, wandel. Examine the photo closely. You will notice there is no blood drawn from the leguaan. The crocodile has given his best bite and the leguaan remains unscathed.

At the precise moment that photo was taken the leguaan was feigning paralysis, a clever method often employed by this devious creature, and, after the crocodile's teeth skittered harmlessly off the hide of the leguaan the ploy was over and the leguaan lept to life and ripped the throat from the startled crocodile before it had a chance to engage any defensive mechanisms.

The crocodile, now dead, slowly spun in a circle of blood-red water and the leguaan began to feast as the excited tourists of Hotel Samara (I believe cicerone imposter was one of them) began to take a frenzy of pictures, their hearts beating rapidly at the unexpected nature show which had been unveiled before their startled and appreciative eyes.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:35 pm
Gus, your analytical abilities are truly admirable.

If I showed you a photo of the last Bears-Vikings game, could you come up with a scenario that has the Vikings winning?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:36 pm
No.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 03:38 pm
leguaans have tastier medallions than do crocodiles.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 04:30 pm
While I was trying to help you, gustav, I got lost on the internet and
stumbled upon the site of a South African National Park. THey also have
a forum there and it's quite interesting to read.

When I drive down the street, I might see the mailman and these
guys encounter creatures like these.....

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16352#16352

Amazing, isn't it?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 07:57 pm
Thanks for directing me to that site, Jane. I believe I will check it out a little more thoroughly and, in all probability, become a member.

I think I can I can become a valued member of that African community and I aim to find out for sure.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 08:15 pm
There you go! Next thing we know, you'll become a park ranger at
Krueger's.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 08:35 pm
Well, I am a member and made my first post. I had a question regarding a tortoise that had been spotted four times on one of the web cams.

No one said for sure if it was the same tortoise each time, or if it was four different tortoises. Or possibly three different ones, one having been there twice, or two different ones that had been there twice, or, well, I won't go into all the mathematical possibilities, but, needless to say, I was curious about the tortoise and asked a question.

No one has answered yet but I expect someone will help me out somewhere down the road.

I can see this site becoming a valuable source of information for the members of A2K and, because I am the only member I will be responsible for transporting various images and anecdotes from that site to this one.

I feel that I am ready for such a challenge.
0 Replies