Help!!!! My rainsoft system stopped working

paguy

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 03:29 pm
I have a rainsoft system that is 17 years old and it has ran fine for about 15 years but it has been getting worse in the last 6 months i just had a service man come to my house and he replaced a spring in the purple tank on the nozzle but it did not work the man also said that it might be the sand in the big tank but it would cost $900 to change it if that was the problem. Is there a way of changing it myself for less money as i don't have that much money to spend but my water is pumpkin colored and stinks. thanks again
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,249 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 03:34 pm
paguy, Welcome to A2K. There's been several threds on water softteners. Go to the applicable Forum; I'm usre you'll find something there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 03:44 pm
Give this LINK a try. Good luck.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 04:48 pm
Re: Help!!!! My rainsoft system stopped working
paguy wrote:
... he replaced a spring in the purple tank on the nozzle but it did not work the man also said that it might be the sand in the big tank but it would cost $900 to change it if that was the problem.

Question Can you post a picture or two of your system?
You can email them to me if you like ...
0 Replies

paguy

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 07:42 pm
ok i will take pictures of it but i forgot to tell you that it had the numbers RT1040-8 and 001867 on the tank
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:33 pm
It sounds like an Iron / Sulphur filter.
Manganese Greensand and Potassium Permanganate.

Does any of that ring a bell?
0 Replies

paguy

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:21 pm
Can you buy that in a store?
0 Replies

paguy

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:29 pm
The guy told me that i might have to replace the greensand is that possible to do myself and where could i buy something like that?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:55 am
paguy wrote:
The guy told me that i might have to replace the greensand is that possible to do myself and where could i buy something like that?

You can DIY. Finding the materials, tools and instructions will be your big challenge. I don't sell, or service Greensand filters.
I have a better way of dealing with problem water that does not include deadly chemicals like Potassium Permanganate.
0 Replies

jsilver123

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:11 pm
Watch out for Rainsoft
About two years ago I replaced a Rainsoft water softener and decided to replace it with a newer unit. I was not aware at the time how poor the service would be. I have been without soft water for several weeks. The finally came to day and didn't have the parts to fix it and it will be over a week before they can return. So my advise is that if you live in the bay area of California don't buy a Rainsoft unit. Definitely stay away for B and D water (based out of Fresno) they are the installation and service for Rainsoft in this area.
0 Replies