Swimpy
 
Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 09:32 pm
My son, who lives in Austria, came home for christmas and brought me some pumpkin seed oil.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/swimpy12/Pumpkinseedoil.jpg

I made butternut squash soup and swirled some of this oil onto the top in each bowl. It was heaven. Does anyone know some other uses for this oil?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,758 • Replies: 19
No top replies

 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 09:54 pm
You are supposed to put this oil on pumpkin seeds. That makes them slide around better.
0 Replies
 
Swimpy
 
  1  
Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:01 pm
<snork>
0 Replies
 
Montana
 
  1  
Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:12 pm
Found this, but I didn't do an extensive search.

Pumpkin seed oil has an unusual flavor that is somewhat nutty. Because of this unusual flavor, if you are not used to using pumpkin seed oil it is recommended that you experiment with it first. For example, try finding recipes that contain the oil and test the results of its usage.

Pumpkin seed oil is typically used as a salad dressing combined with apple cider vinegar and salt. Additionally, it can be used in cooking and baking as an ingredient in sauces, sausages, and cakes.
0 Replies
 
Montana
 
  1  
Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:14 pm
http://www.deliciouslivingmag.com/recipes/index.cfm?fuseaction=recipedetails&recipeid=687
0 Replies
 
Montana
 
  1  
Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:19 pm
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/582919.html
0 Replies
 
Swimpy
 
  1  
Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:59 pm
Thank you, Montana. You're a very helpful human. The salad dressing with apple cider vinegar sounds really good.
0 Replies
 
CalamityJane
 
  1  
Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:26 pm
Swimpy, it's best used for salads and cold or warm appetizers and meals purely to enhance the taste. Don't cook with it as the oil loses it's taste and consistency.

The pumpkin seed oil is also light sensitive, so storing it in a cool and dark place is recommended, otherwise its taste can turn bitter.
0 Replies
 
timberlandko
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 01:05 am
Swimpy wrote:
The salad dressing with apple cider vinegar sounds really good.

It is. We've used pumpkinseed oil for years as an occasional break from olive oil. Raspberry-flavored vinegar works nicely, too, as do cranberry-flavored vinegar and most herb-infused vinegars - especially wine vinegars. The pumpkinseed oil itself is distinctly flavorful, so whatever vinegar you choose, it oughta be robustly flavored.

Just IMO, of course. And honestly, we've only ever used it in salad dressings, so there's no doubt there's plenty about it I don't know.
0 Replies
 
ul
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:26 am
Swimpy,
Pumpkin seed oil has a relatively low smoke point i.e. it cannot be heated up high but you can cook with it, i.g. Styrian scambled eggs.
Another Styrian dish:
boiled beef, cut in thin slices, fresh onions, wine vinegar and pumkin seed oil.
Pumkin seed "pesto"
a simple yeast cake- replace the butter with the oil

Just in case you might get oil on a fabric, don't wash it. First hang it in the sun until the greenish spot disappears.
0 Replies
 
Swimpy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:46 am
CalamityJane wrote:
The pumpkin seed oil is also light sensitive, so storing it in a cool and dark place is recommended, otherwise its taste can turn bitter.



Would it be best to keep it in the refrigerator?
0 Replies
 
Swimpy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:50 am
Timber, thanks for the tips.


ul wrote:
Swimpy,
Pumpkin seed oil has a relatively low smoke point i.e. it cannot be heated up high but you can cook with it, i.g. Styrian scambled eggs.
Another Styrian dish:
boiled beef, cut in thin slices, fresh onions, wine vinegar and pumkin seed oil.
Pumkin seed "pesto"
a simple yeast cake- replace the butter with the oil

Just in case you might get oil on a fabric, don't wash it. First hang it in the sun until the greenish spot disappears.


ul, Thank you so much. I was hoping you would reply. These are great suggestions! Pumpkin seed pesto, eh? I take it basil is a good herb for this oil.
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:56 am
ul wrote:

Just in case you might get oil on a fabric, don't wash it. First hang it in the sun until the greenish spot disappears.


I suppose, this is the most useful response ... at least it was for, about 20 years ago, when I first used pumpkin oil :wink:
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:01 am
Although pumpkin oil shouldn't be used for cooking at higher temperatures, a Styrian speciality is "Schmölzi" - scrambled eggs mad with pumpkin oil (you have to watch the temperature when doing it!).
(Two SIS's married in Styria :wink:)

The oil should be stored much longer than 3/4 of a year.
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:06 am
Some Styrian recipes from the official Pumpkin Oil website
0 Replies
 
Swimpy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:51 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Although pumpkin oil shouldn't be used for cooking at higher temperatures, a Styrian speciality is "Schmölzi" - scrambled eggs mad with pumpkin oil (you have to watch the temperature when doing it!).
(Two SIS's married in Styria :wink:)

The oil should be stored much longer than 3/4 of a year.


I always cook my scrambled eggs over low heat. I like them creamy.

thanks for the recipe link. I noticed they all came from restaurants in Graz. They should be the experts, ya?
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:55 am
Swimpy wrote:
recipe link. I noticed they all came from restaurants in Graz. They should be the experts, ya?


The oil is from that state of Austria (and Graz the capital).
0 Replies
 
Swimpy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:00 am
I know Wink
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:12 am
You should :wink:
0 Replies
 
Montana
 
  1  
Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:00 am
Swimpy wrote:
Thank you, Montana. You're a very helpful human. The salad dressing with apple cider vinegar sounds really good.


Aww shucks Embarrassed , and you're very welcome :-D

Yeah, the salad dressing looked good to me to.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Quiznos - Discussion by cjhsa
Should We Eat Our American Neighbours? - Question by mark noble
Favorite Italian Food? - Discussion by cjhsa
The Last Thing You Put In Your Mouth.... - Discussion by Dorothy Parker
Dessert suggestions, please? - Discussion by msolga
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Pumpkin Seed Oil
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/22/2019 at 02:48:50