Is there proof of the afterlife?

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 01:53 pm
timberlandko wrote:
All there is for evidence is what Lamon's daughter says Lamon said that Lincoln said to Lamon. Take that for what you will.

This is the heart of the matter with any of the "evidence" presented here of paranormal experiences--it is all hearsay evidence. It is all an account by an individual who may be either self-deluded, or venal (people do make damned good money out of the credulous with accounts of the paranormal)--as well as that it might be true. Furthermore, as the Big Bird is pointing out here, a great deal of it is at second- or third-hand.

Finally, on the subject of premonitory dreams--people common go through five to six sleep cycles per night, each one of which ends with REM (rapid eye movement, characterized as "dreaming sleep" by sleep researchers). There are presently more than 300 million people living in North America. Even if one assumes only a single dream per sleep cycle, that's more than one and a half billion dreams per night--and therefore, more than five hundred billion per year. When Duke University had a department of parapsychology (they no longer do), the Rhine Center for Parapsychology received between one and two hundred reports of fulfilled premonitory dreams per year. Even if one multiplies that figure by 1000 (and ignores that there is no way of verifying the validity of the claims), 200,000 premonitory dreams out of more than 500 billion dreams each year is not a statistically significant sample--and the figure wasn't 200,000, it was fewer than 200.

These sorts of things represent the classic example of the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances. Every time some one dreams of disaster, and no disaster takes place, they immediately do not run out to tell the whole world that they dreamed of their own death, yet they still live.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 11:20 pm
What could possibly count as proof of an afterlife? If someone tells me he died and came back to report on his afterlife experience, FOR ME that would constitute only a claim, not a form of proof or evidence. But FOR HIM his experience might constitute "adequate" proof. In Science, proof is public; in religious experience it is private.
0 Replies

ll333

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 02:32 am
strange odor
My mother's nurse friend works in the ICU of the hospital. She said shortly before a person dies there's a strange odor in the room- an odor which isn't present at other times. She thinks this odor is Satan trying to win the soul of the person before they finally die. Also this other woman came to people's bedsides in her village shortly before they die. She also said there's a strange odor present shortly before the person dies- this odor isn't present at other times. What do you think of this? I haven't witnessed this myself because I have never been near a person during their last moments. Has anyone else heard of something like this?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 05:27 am
Re: strange odor
ll333 wrote:
My mother's nurse friend works in the ICU of the hospital. She said shortly before a person dies there's a strange odor in the room- an odor which isn't present at other times. She thinks this odor is Satan trying to win the soul of the person before they finally die. Also this other woman came to people's bedsides in her village shortly before they die. She also said there's a strange odor present shortly before the person dies- this odor isn't present at other times. What do you think of this? I haven't witnessed this myself because I have never been near a person during their last moments. Has anyone else heard of something like this?

I would imagine that there are probaby many strange odors present when someone dies. All of the functions of the body stop working, your bowels release, your body starts to stop processing foods, minerals, etc. I'm sure it possible that your breath may change as your body stops processing as much oxygen. Maybe it develops a different odor because of the other processes that has stopped. I've heard that diabetic people develop the smell of alcohol on their breath if they are low on blood sugar, maybe the same thing happens when you die (or something similar), and their breath filling the room gives off a different odor. Or they crapped their pants.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 03:32 pm
11333, please keep your mother's nurse friend out of my ICU room!!!
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 04:06 pm
Re: Is there proof of the afterlife?
ll333 wrote:
Is there proof of existence after death? Is there proof of the existence of the soul?

Best evidence I see is Near Death Experience. Nothing in any religious writings convinces me.
0 Replies

ll333

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 03:34 am
What is the explanation of all of those ghost stories? like at www.graveaddiction.com
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:26 am
ll333 wrote:
What is the explanation of all of those ghost stories? like at www.graveaddiction.com

This is a stark example of just how thoughtless your standards of evidence are. There can be many explanations. One is that people are lying. Another is that people saw something, or thought they saw something, or heard something, or thought they heard something, and for cultural reasons assumed that the proximate cause was a ghost.

Just because someone you like or respect tells you something, does not make it so. Just because you read something online does not make it so.
0 Replies

ll333

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 02:43 pm
This new question in this post isn't about the afterlife- this is just about the evidence that prayer works.

There's this girl who has nervous breakdowns sometimes. I will call her B. When she has nervous breakdowns she prays for the opposite of what she wants- she has the uncontrollable impulse to do this. The first time she saw this younger girl(called Angel) she dislikes she felt insecure but her friend CheChe who was with her at that time said Kathy & Hannalynn are prettier than Angel so B felt secure because Angel can't be better than her if Kathy&Hannalynn are better than Angel because Kathy&Hannalynn aren't better than B. But the next day stupid CheChe changed her answer and she said Angel is prettier than Kathy & Hannalynn. Another person said the same thing. What happened- did B's unwanted prayer work? She's unstable and disturbed- she prays for the opposite of what she wants when she's having a nervous breakdown because she can't control it. Do these prayers come true- it seems like!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 04:19 pm
ll333 wrote:
This new question in this post isn't about the afterlife- this is just about the evidence that prayer works.

There's this girl who has nervous breakdowns sometimes. I will call her B. When she has nervous breakdowns she prays for the opposite of what she wants- she has the uncontrollable impulse to do this. The first time she saw this younger girl(called Angel) she dislikes she felt insecure but her friend CheChe who was with her at that time said Kathy & Hannalynn are prettier than Angel so B felt secure because Angel can't be better than her if Kathy&Hannalynn are better than Angel because Kathy&Hannalynn aren't better than B. But the next day stupid CheChe changed her answer and she said Angel is prettier than Kathy & Hannalynn. Another person said the same thing. What happened- did B's unwanted prayer work? She's unstable and disturbed- she prays for the opposite of what she wants when she's having a nervous breakdown because she can't control it. Do these prayers come true- it seems like!

Say I was flipping a coin 1000 times.

Say someone was going to donate 1 billion dollars to some god-worthy cause for every 'heads' that came up.

Say this was advertised to all churchs across the nation.

Say it was televised.

Say every Christian in the world prayed for each flip of the coin to be heads.

What percent of the time do you think the coin will turn up heads?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 04:25 pm
ll333 wrote:
. . . unstable and disturbed . . .

I'm beginning to think this is a description of you . . . you have got to be one of the most credulous persons i've encountered online--you'll believe just about anything.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 04:51 pm
ll333 wrote:
This new question in this post isn't about the afterlife- this is just about the evidence that prayer works ... Do these prayers come true- it seems like!

Again, mere enumeration of favorable circumstances. The best currently available data, 2 recent studies, a 2005 Duke University continuation of an earlier study conducted by the same team, and a larger study concluded earlier this year, conducted by the Harvard Univerisity/Massachusetts General Hospital Benson-Henry Mind-Body Medicine Institute, reached similar conclusions and reinforced the findings of earlier studies; prayer has no statistically significant effect.
0 Replies

waterdrops9

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 12:47 pm
faith
I think if a person has faith- if they believe the prayer works- it will work when they pray- am I right?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 01:56 pm
Re: faith
waterdrops9 wrote:
I think if a person has faith- if they believe the prayer works- it will work when they pray- am I right?

What they fail to see is that it also works when they don't pray.

What they fail to see is that sometimes it doesn't work when they pray. They forget those prayers that don't go their way, but remember those that do.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 01:58 pm
Re: faith
waterdrops9 wrote:

Not according to any scientific study. On the other hand, you're free to choose to believe that which comforts you, with or without evidence. And, of course, if you believe in prayer and something for which you've prayed should come to pass, then you're more likely to be convinced your prayers "worked" - despite however many times, prior and since, there may have been no such satisfactory outcome. Involved are a broad assortment of both formal and informal logical fallacies.

Now, this is not to say categorically that prayer doesn't work - just that the available evidence does not support claim that it does.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 02:15 pm
waterdrops9, welcome to A2K.

I wish you were right and that if you have faith and believe that prayer works, you could count on loved ones getting well if you pray hard enough for it. When someone dies in spite of fervent prayers, do you think that the people praying just didn't have enough faith?

Regretably, there is no evidence for an afterlife or for the power of prayer to affect anything other than the mind of the person praying.

Pray: To ask the laws of the universe to be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -Ambrose Bierce
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 06:35 pm
waterdrops, There is some research done of prayers done for themselves that seems to have a positive effect for the patient. I believe any positive feelings about healing, whether they are prayers about one's own body can be positive. It is also true that depression and negative feelings can harm the patient. On that score, prayer does help.
0 Replies

ll333

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 11:19 pm
My previous message:
Quote:

Orignally this girl Angel wasn't that pretty. At first CheChe said Angel is equal to Maricel and she said Maricel isn't a beauty. But the next day after B had a nervous breakdown-Kim- Angel's classmate- says Angel is pretty. B asked Kim- "Do you know Angel?" Kim answered, "Yes" B asked, "What does she look like?" Kim answered, "Well...she's pretty..." Why did Kim say Angel is pretty when Angel wasn't pretty before(originally)?
0 Replies

ll333

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 10:10 pm
There's this online diary website where me and other people post their diaries. A girl with the screen name SlayerChick added my diary to her favorites list. I liked this but I prayed she would remove my diary from her favorites list just to see if the prayer would work! I wanted to test this prayer. Well a few days ago she just removed my diary from her favorites list. I asked her why and she wouldn't offer me an explanation. Did this prayer work?

SlayerChick had just commented on my diary on February 21st- a few days before she deleted my diary from her favorites list. Her comment had advice regarding my self-esteem, etc. It seems very strange she removed my diary from her favorites list a few days later without explanation! (She had my diary in her favorites list since December)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 12:06 am
Don't amputees ever pray?
0 Replies