Is there proof of the afterlife?

gungasnake

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 03:13 am
The most interesting thing in Sheldrake's books or on his website either one are the animal stories and the most interesting of those on the website is the story of the little gray parrot Nkisi. For an idea of how bright African gray parrots are before you even get into questions like Nkisi evokes, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1FQvU1yv0s
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 03:37 am
Very entertaining !

(Perhaps not as interesting as birds "feigning injury" to protect their nests which Sheldrake may or may not cover)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 04:23 am
timberlandko wrote:
Strictly speaking, in objective, empirical, legitimate sense, no. There is neither proof of the existence of afterlife or of the soul nor is there disproof.

Persuasive, even compelling, argument may be made either way. However there exists no evidence - as the term "evidence is most precisely defined - but rather the issue, however approached, is surrounded by only conjecture, assumption, preference, prejudice, anecdote, and unsubstantiable claim.
You say "persuasive, even compelling, argument may be made either way" but in furtherance say "the issue, however approached, is surrounded by only conjecture, assumption, preference, prejudice, anecdote, and unsubstantiable claim".

Thus I ask the following:

1) Please demonstrate a "persuasive, even compelling, argument for an afterlife"; I for one have heard none.

2) From your two quotes above, you contradict yourself, why?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 04:28 am
Quote:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 04:35 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
To find proof of an afterlife is an oxymoron. All one can do is believe or not believe in it.
Nope, you could (hypothetically) have someone return from the dead as proof.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 05:15 am
Chumly wrote:
You say "persuasive, even compelling, argument may be made either way" but in furtherance say "the issue, however approached, is surrounded by only conjecture, assumption, preference, prejudice, anecdote, and unsubstantiable claim".

You misapprehend; persuasive and/or compelling argument does not entail valid, nor even convincing, argument. Hitler, for instance, was a persuasive, even compelling speaker, as was Marx. An argument may be at once well formed, powerful, persuasive, and compelling, yet all the same be invalid, unconvincing, and/or demonstrably incorrect - that's rhetoric for you - and theology ... and politics, too, for that matter.

Quote:
Thus I ask the following:

1) Please demonstrate a "persuasive, even compelling, argument for an afterlife"; I for one have heard none.

Tertullian, Justin Martyr, Augustine of Hippo, Peter Abelard, and Thomas Aquinas come immediately to mind, as do any number of others through time all the way through C. S. Lewis to Alvin Plantinga. All put their cases well.

Quote:
2) From your two quotes above, you contradict yourself, why?

No I don't; you form an erroneous impression.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:07 am
Persuasive does not entail convincing Question
Quote:
persuasive
2. capable of convincing; "a persuasive argument"; "the evidence is persuasive but not conclusive"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Persuasive
timberlandko wrote:
You misapprehend; persuasive and/or compelling argument does not entail valid, nor even convincing, argument. Hitler, for instance, was a persuasive, even compelling speaker, as was Marx. An argument may be at once well formed, powerful, persuasive, and compelling, yet all the same be invalid, unconvincing, and/or demonstrably incorrect - that's rhetoric for you - and theology ... and politics, too, for that matter.
Sure but by that token, virtually anything that has someone or some group in some fashion convinced could be argued as such, so where's the weight of your assertion?
timberlandko wrote:
Tertullian, Justin Martyr, Augustine of Hippo, Peter Abelard, and Thomas Aquinas come immediately to mind, as do any number of others through time all the way through C. S. Lewis to Alvin Plantinga. All put their cases well.
OK perhaps for others, but from what modest amount I have read, argument lacking evidence is weak when it comes to the speculative nature of the supernatural.
timberlandko wrote:
No I don't; you form an erroneous impression.
As of yet I have no clarification on why you are not in contradiction.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:14 am
http://www.sheldrake.org/D&C/controversies/wiseman.html

Quote:

....Richard Wiseman started his career as a conjurer, and like Randi is a skilled illusionist. He is well known in Britain as a media Skeptic, and regularly appears on radio and TV programmes as a debunker of psychical phenomena. In addition, he tirelessly promotes the Skeptical cause through public lectures.

When my experiments with the dog Jaytee were first publicized in Britain in 1994, journalists sought out a skeptic to comment on them, and Richard Wiseman was an obvious choice. He put forward a number of points that I had already taken into account. But rather than argue academically, I suggested that he did some experiments with Jaytee himself, and arranged for him to do so. I had already been doing videotaped experiments with this dog for months, and I lent him my videocamera. Pam Smart, Jaytee's owner, and her family kindly agreed to help him.

With the help of his assistant, Matthew Smith, he did four experiments with Jaytee, two in June and two in December 1995, and in all of them Jaytee went to the window to wait for Pam when she was indeed on the way home. As in my own experiments, he sometimes went to the window at other times, for example to bark at passing cats, but he was at the window far more when Pam was on her way home than when she was not. In the three experiments Wiseman did in Pam's parents' flat, Jaytee was at the window an average of 4% of the time during the main period of Pam's absence, and 78% of the time when she was on the way home. This difference was statistically significant. When Wiseman's data were plotted on graphs, they showed essentially the same pattern as my own. In other words Wiseman replicated my own results......
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:19 am
Raul-7 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
No creator or God would allow something as glorious as me to disappear from existence after only 80 or 90 years.

What? Were you not a drop of sperm and God gave you life? This is easy for God and yet you're arrogant as ever. You're nothing more than a mortal, of which many of you came and passed away.

Natural disasters are nothing more than warnings Allah sends to mankind.

Do you feel secure against Him Who is in heaven causing the earth to swallow you up when suddenly it rocks from side to side? Or do you feel secure against Him Who is in heaven releasing against you a sudden squall of stones, so that you will know how true My warning was? Those before them also denied but then how great was My denial! (Surat al-Mulk: 16-18)

Raul 7 may I offer you a glass of warm milk and a valium? Perhaps an anti anxiety drug of some sort? Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:53 am
Chumly wrote:

OK perhaps for others, but from what modest amount I have read, argument lacking evidence is weak when it comes to the speculative nature of the supernatural ...

Perhaps you should read more.

Read this, for instance:
Quote:
Quote:
persuasive
2. capable of convincing; "a persuasive argument"; "the evidence is persuasive but not conclusive"

Let's try that one more time -
Quote:
Quote:
persuasive

There - does that help?

gunga, Sheldrake's attempt to challenge Dr. Wiseman's refereed, peer-reviewed, accrpted, and published criticism was rejected when submitted for peer review to the same journal, the British Journal of Psychology, in which Wiseman's paper appeared, and never has been accepted by, published, and/or endorsed in any legitimate journal or other credible publication; it appears nowhere but in Sheldrake's own apologetics and those of his followers. Dr. Wiseman, the Chair of Understanding of Psychology, University of Hertfordshire, 2002 recipient of the British Acadamy of Sciences Joseph Lister Award, Associate Fellow of and Lecturer to The Royal Academy, among many other prestigious awards and recognitions both scientific and academic, author, co-author, or collaborator of numerous relevant books, both general market and academic/scientific peer-reviewed and published texts, as well as score upon score of relevant peer-reviewed, accepted, and published articles, papers, studies, and treatises, all widely cited throughout the relevant legitimate writings, brings to the discussion a CV rather more substantial than does Sheldrake, who, all things considered, pretty well qualifies as a credentialed crackpot.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 01:10 pm
Wiseman and the Lippards and Shermers of the world are sometimes called "professional skeptics". They'd have been standing there claiming to have debunked Christ at the cross if they'd been alive at the time. But the biggest problem with being a professional skeptic is that it requires being an expert at pretty much everything.

Here's one description of the problem:

http://www.phact.org/e/z/problem3.htm
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 01:36 pm
timber and gungasnake,

With reference to "evidence for an afterlife" we need to focus on Sheldrake's specific involvement rather than his general reputation as "a scientist". This can be found here.

http://www.resurgence.org/resurgence/articles/fox.htm

It is clear from this that Sheldrake offers no "traditional evidence" for his views on the "field nature of soul" , however we cannot judge his contribution on empirical grounds alone because the nondualist stance he takes is percularly resistant to mainstream logic (see for example non-locality in quantum theory to which he alludes). Instead we might apply Occams razor which (in the hands of Capra op cit for example) leaves no requirement for a separate "animating principle" to account for "life". On the other hand we should not be quick to dismiss innovative thinkers such as Sheldrake as mere "crackpots" because it is they at least expand the nature and range of "observation" to pastures new. The alchemists of old didn't have mich of a meta-theory but some of their "data" provided the basis for modern chemistry.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 02:55 pm
Quote:
... A claim of a pet psychic power, indeed the claim of human psychic power, could, in principle, be tested. Indeed, there have been hundreds of experimental tests of psychic power and yet there has never been repeatable experimental demonstration of the existence of these powers. The magician James Randi has for years offered a million dollar prize to anyone who could demonstrate psychic abilities. To date all claimants have failed.

The article also describes research by British parapsychologist Rupert Sheldrake supporting the existence of telepathic animals. Journalists are often poorly equipped to cover claims of scientific evidence for paranormal phenomena. They operate in a historical and scientific vacuum, unaware of the repeated failure to replicate these claims. Typically the initial claims of such powers get widely reported because they are interesting and appeal to the public's appetite for the unusual. When later attempts to replicate these findings fail, the results are ignored by the media. A case in point, National Geographic Kids reports Sheldrake's claim that a dog named Jaytee could psychically sense when its owner, Pam Smart, was returning. The magazine tells us:

"Sheldrake carried out experiments in which Jaytee was videotaped to see when he went to the window when Smart was out. Smart went at least five miles away and came back at randomly chosen times. She was signaled through a pager when she should return. The person doing the paging was neither with Smart nor in the house with Jaytee.

"Amazingly, Jaytee went to wait at the window when Smart started home after receiving her message. His reactions did not depend on hearing familiar car sounds from miles away, because he behaved the same way when she traveled by train, bicycle, or car. Jaytree is one perceptive pup!"

This is truly an amazing assertion and it has received considerable media attention. Unfortunately, the essential scientific question "have independent researchers been able to replicate this claim under controlled conditions?" is never asked. A simple literature search would have revealed that in 1998 the British Journal of Psychology published a paper by Wiseman, Smith, and Milton that reported on a carefully controlled attempt to test Sheldrake's claim about Jayee. The researchers concluded that "analysis of the data did not support the hypothesis that Jaytee could psychically detect when his owner was returning home."

This is a serious matter. At a time when the scientific community is raising the alarm over the public's poor grasp of science National Geographic Kids has decided to be part of the problem. The magazine is guilty of both scientific illiteracy and irresponsible journalism. Our kids deserve better.
SOURCE
(Emphasis mine)

To date there exists in the relevant legitimate scientific/academic literature neither independendent corroboration of Sheldrake's purported findings nor dispute pertaining to Wiseman's findings. Conversely, numerous similar and/or related studies, literally hundreds of them, published both prior to and following Sheldrake's self-published claims, have presented conclusions not merely at odds with those reported by Sheldrake, but diametrically contrary to same.

In sum, not only has Sheldrake's hypothesis not been accepted by the legitimate, mainstream scientific and academic communities though given consideration therefrom, that hypothesis therein has been rejected, without dissent, at length and in particular specific detail. Sheldrake and followers may - and vociferously do - reject such criticism and rejection; nonetheless it is observed they do so in manner and by means wholly consistent with the practices of crackpot, contrarian, minority POV proponents of pseudoscience the world over.

That which by all observed respects most closely resembles a duck ...
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 04:49 pm
Raul-7 wrote:

Then what happens when you die and find out that you've been living of a life of delusion, but in fact there is an afterlife - will you just accept your doomed fate? Why not prepare for this before death comes upon you and you will have no means of denial?

"Doomed fate?" None of us are doomed, especially we are not doomed because we don't know if there is an afterlife. Where did you get the idea we must know that, must not deny that? Our afterlife, should there be one, would depend on how we live, whether we have treated others the way in which we would have them treat us.

What sort of religion teaches this kind of fear? Does any, really? Isn't it just in interpretation?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 05:37 pm
Some people are already brain-washed to the point that common sense and logic has been lost long ago.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 03:29 am
If there was proof of an afterlife, there wouldn't be much use for this test of how we use this life we have been given.

No point having an exam when you know what grade you got.

But hey, if you don't believe then im sure you will enjoy your lives.

But on your death beds... what will you be thinking about????

Maybe, the big bad beyond.....

But maybe you wont get time to think.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 04:34 am
Quote:

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/printthread.php?t=73156

Cat finds the way home from 'Glades

By Jaime Hernandez
Staff Writer
Posted February 26 2005

A Fort Lauderdale firefighter is facing theft charges after he told police that he snatched a neighborhood cat and dumped it in the Everglades because it scratched his truck.

The firefighter's 11-year-old neighbor, Maggie Leonard, was celebrating her birthday Feb. 5 when she realized her pet was gone. She started crying when she learned Cristopher Cortes, who has had a months-long spat with her family, got rid of Mr. Kibbles.

Luckily for Maggie, the cat showed up at her front door Feb. 18 -- apparently on his own.

"It was like a miracle," said Maggie's mother, Nancy Leonard. "Maggie loves this cat like royalty."

Coconut Creek police charged the firefighter, Christopher Cortes, 32, and his fiancee with petty theft and gave them notices to appear in court. Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue says it has opened an internal investigation, but Cortes is still on duty.

No one, except for Mr. Kibbles, knows how he got home, located in the 5900 block of Northwest 47th Way in Coconut Creek. He wasn't wearing ID tags.

Dr. Deborah Niedermiller, a veterinarian who examined the cat Monday, said he was in good health, tired, and "looked like he had traveled a little bit" because of his hardened paws.

To an animal the height of a cat, the horizen is about a hundred and fifty feet out much of the time. This is like you or I finding our way home on foot from Peru with no maps, charts, or yuppie devices, or even roads or road signs. The question for evolutionists is, how do capabilities like that "evolve"?

Maybe Timberlandko can give us some sort of a super blowhard explanation, all in red cap letters....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:07 am
Article doesn't really indicate distance. The cat was dumped in the swamp 15 miles from its home.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 05:12 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Chumly wrote:

OK perhaps for others, but from what modest amount I have read, argument lacking evidence is weak when it comes to the speculative nature of the supernatural ...

Perhaps you should read more.

Read this, for instance:
Quote:
Quote:
persuasive

Let's try that one more time -
Quote:
Quote:
persuasive

There - does that help?

Nope because unfortunately you did not use the word "conclusive" in your initial set of definitions, thus my question stands.

While I appreciate your list of authors and I admit freely I have not read them all by any means, you have still not met your claims, nor my list of challenges. Not that you have to do any such thing, but I am curious!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 05:37 pm
Infer as you wish, Chumly; regardless what is written, that always is the readers' prerogative. An entire industry is built on that. Its called religion.

I submit that indeed I have "met my claims" and satisfied your "list of challenges".
0 Replies