BRITISH TV OVER CHRISTMAS........

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 12:30 pm
Anyone spotted a film or programme that they consider to be a "must see"?
It may be something that you can highly recommend that other Brits may not be aware of, so feel free to list them below.

I've been looking through the films that are being shown over the Christmas/New Year period, and have spotted several that I will definitely be recording.

"MUST SEE" FILMS :-

CHRISTMAS EVE -

1. A Fish Called Wanda (C4 11.15pm)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHRISTMAS DAY

1. The Remains of The Day (C5 3.10pm)

2. Monsters Inc (great one for kids BBC1 3.55pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27TH DECEMBER (weds)

1. Trainspotting ( Film 4 11pm)

2. Educating Rita (Film 4 12.45am -early thursday morn, actually)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28TH DECEMBER (thurs)

1. Celine and Julie go Boating (Film 4 12.15am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30TH DECEMBER (sat)

1. The Shawshank Redemption (Film 4 9pm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YEARS EVE

1. Now, Voyager (TCM 12.30pm)

2. Village of the Damned (BBC4 12.20pm - filmed in the village in which I grew up)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YEARS DAY

1. Local Hero (Film 4 6.55pm)

2. .Cold Comfort Farm (BBC4 10pm - a must must see)

I'll pop back from time to time to add things as they come to my attention.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,070 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 02:33 pm
3RD JANUARY (weds)

1. Klute (excellent film - TCM 9pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4TH JANUARY (thurs)

1. Bad Day at Black Rock (TCM 1.30pm)
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 02:40 pm
Lord E:

We won't have the same TV schedule here of course, but there are a few British imports my family never misses -- I taped the Christmas episode of "Heartbeat" Friday night (it's probably a couple of seasons behind yours). We'll enjoy it tonight with our festive soy nog and have a gay old time Very Happy
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 02:45 pm
Re: BRITISH TV OVER CHRISTMAS........
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Village of the Damned (BBC4 12.20pm - filmed in the village in which I grew up)

well that explains alot :wink:

just spent an afternoon watching various vicar of dibley episodes on dvd

did i enjoy myself?

no no no no no no yes Very Happy
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 02:54 pm
lord ellpus :
anything for us colonials ?
since the coronation street shows we see here are about six months old , i assume some sailor out there is still trying to discover "the new world" and is getting lost in the process .
we do enjoy : new tricks , somertime murders , a touch of frost , royal hospital , heartbeat and the re-runs of "are you being served" and other shows that are about 20 - 30 years old - good enough for the colonials (they are being shown here on the public broadcasting system - TVO - TV ontario) .
we really wouldn't know what to watch , if it weren't for those shows . we find most of the american shows simply booooring !
have a happy one !
hbg

enjoyed "are you being served" christmas show for the umpteenth time - mrs slocum is a sweetheart !
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 02:54 pm
Re: BRITISH TV OVER CHRISTMAS........
djjd62 wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Village of the Damned (BBC4 12.20pm - filmed in the village in which I grew up)

well that explains alot :wink:

just spent an afternoon watching various vicar of dibley episodes on dvd

did i enjoy myself?

no no no no no no yes Very Happy

My sister is a MASSIVE fan of Dibley, and when she came over from Oz the other year, I took her to the small village of Turville, where it's all filmed (near High Wycombe, about 40 mins drive from my place)

I didn't tell her where we were going, and pulled up about 200 yards down the road from the church.
I said we were going to the pub and we strolled along in the sunshine, until she just stopped and stared. It took her a while to figure out why it was so familiar....and when she realised, she just ran towards the church.

It's exactly how you see it on TV. No "extra" film sets bits at all. Type "turville" on google images and you'll get loads of stuff.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 02:57 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Lord E:

We won't have the same TV schedule here of course, but there are a few British imports my family never misses -- I taped the Christmas episode of "Heartbeat" Friday night (it's probably a couple of seasons behind yours). We'll enjoy it tonight with our festive soy nog and have a gay old time Very Happy

Tai, I think that Heartbeat has actually finished now. I may be wrong.

Does yours still have Greengrass in it? 'Cos he left ages ago.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 03:04 pm
no greengrass is long gone

in the 2nd last episode we've seen phil the cop just got married

it's season twelve i think, and from my research it's one of the last
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 03:05 pm
hamburger wrote:
lord ellpus :
anything for us colonials ?
since the coronation street shows we see here are about six months old , i assume some sailor out there is still trying to discover "the new world" and is getting lost in the process .
we do enjoy : new tricks , somertime murders , a touch of frost , royal hospital , heartbeat and the re-runs of "are you being served" and other shows that are about 20 - 30 years old - good enough for the colonials (they are being shown here on the public broadcasting system - TVO - TV ontario) .
we really wouldn't know what to watch , if it weren't for those shows . we find most of the american shows simply booooring !
have a happy one !
hbg

My tip is to look out for anything called "Only fools and Horses". When I was in Oz, they'd never heard of it, so I sent some tapes when I got back and they LOVED it.
I think the Brits have now watched the re-runs of that series so much, that we've almost had enough. But if you're viewing it for the first time, you'll find it hilarious.
Stars David Jason, before he was Frost.

Another one, is the above mentioned "Cold Comfort Farm" which, for some reason, I can only fins on DVD with American format, so they won't play here.
I bet you could hire/buy it there somewhere. An excellent film (Kate (woof woof) Beckinsale, Joanna (woof woof) Lumley star, and it is quintessentially 30's Britain on an old remote farm.
Watch it, and you'll forever be saying "There's summit naaaasty in the woodshed!"

enjoyed "are you being served" christmas show for the umpteenth time - mrs slocum is a sweetheart !
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 03:05 pm
thanks for your tip on "turville" !
noticed that the show is just now coming to the end . here's hoping we;ll get to see more episodes - or we;ll buy the dvd - canadian dollars accepted :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 03:06 pm
OOPS! My last post came out wrong....
0 Replies