Favorite food films?

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:58 am
"Big Night" is coming on soon on our digital cable, and I plan to watch it again. I should be working, but since there is not a lot of work right now, I may as well have fun. I have lots of favorite food films, but one I wanted to mention was "Rare Birds", which I really enjoyed. A small movie, but truly delightful. What are your favorite foodie films?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,118 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:00 am
I seem to recall liking "Babette's Feast," though I have no distinct memories of it...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:03 am
I saw Babette's Feast, and had the same feelings....I liked it at the time, maybe for the visuals, but I don't recall anything else about it.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:11 am
Certain food scenes come to mind, not entire movies.
I remember seeing Prince of the City. Someone was eating the best looking big fat Italian submarines sandwich and as soon as the movie ended, we just had to run out and get one immediately!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:37 am
I like "Never Cry Wolf" where the guy eats mice.

Tried to watch "Chocolat" and just couldn't get past the female oriented dialog.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:38 am
Actually, it's rare to watch any movie where food isn't somehow featured, even if not the focus of the flick.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:56 am
How about Dwight Frye in the original Dracula? That's one of my favorites.

"Thousands of flies! Millions of FLIIIIIIEEEES! Hee, Hee, Heh, Heh!!!!"
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:30 pm
The eating scene in Tom Jones is hilarious. Jennifer Beals did some sexy eating in Flashdance.

I loved Chocolat - the candy she made and the discussion about what makes chocolate good were fun.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:35 pm
I think that scene in Tom Jones was the original inspiration for many eating scenes to come! It really wasn't a scene about food, was it?!!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:36 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:42 pm
Although the movie wasn't good "Simply Irresistible" made my mouth water at the mystical powers of food.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:02 pm
There was a revolting eating scene in Monty Python's "Meaning of Life". Terry Jones as Mr Creosote, if memory serves.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:05 pm
Like Water for Chocolate.

Was gonna say Babettes Feast...

The pie fight scene from The Great Race!

Soylant Green
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:55 pm
Don't forget "Food Glorious Food" from Oliver
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 05:03 pm
Anyone up for 'The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover?'
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 05:15 pm
Oh man, I'll have to pass on that one, cav. I actually walked out of the theater that night, something I rarely do. I found the cruelty just a little bit hard to take...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 05:39 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Anyone up for 'The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover?'

And what about "La Grande Bouffe" or, worse, "Salò"?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 05:44 pm
There's a great scene in "Annie Hall" wherein Woody Allen and Diane Keaton attempt to get live lobsters into a pot of boiling water. :-D

Plus, basically every vampire film has eating in it of an, um, earthier kind.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 05:46 pm
... and that's without counting "Silence of the Lambs"
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 06:11 pm
Loved the scene in "Five Easy Pieces" where Jack Nicholson was ordering bacons, eggs and toast and was told they didn't serve breakfast after x. So he orders a BLT with an egg - hold the lettuce and tomato, etc. She asks where to hold it and he tells her between her legs - scrapes all the stuff from the table to the floor with a few expletives and storms out the door. Well, I probably didn't get all that exactly right, but the point is still there!
0 Replies