OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:04 pm
Maybe instead of hating them,
when thay threaten us,
we can REMIND them that we know where thay LIVE,
and that we have the nuclear ordnance to do something ABOUT it,
if another 9/11 happens.

If thay care about visiting Mecca or Medina occasionally,
maybe thay 'd prefer that it NOT be a radioactive wasteland for 100 miles around.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:15 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
when thay threaten us,
if another 9/11 happens.

maybe thay 'd prefer that it NOT be a radioactive wasteland for 100 miles around.

Well Yes, of course, lets just nuke another nation and expand terrorism even further. We don't need no stinkin' Saudi oil anyway.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:38 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
when thay threaten us,
if another 9/11 happens.

With logic like this the whole planet will be a radioactive dead rock within a week - that'll teach them.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:51 pm
Don't try to inject logic into this argument, Green Witch. There is no place for such a thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:58 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Don't try to inject logic into this argument, Green Witch. There is no place for such a thing.

There was prior to Omsig.

That a return to this antediluvian condition in this our sublunary discussion be achieved is a consummation both devoutly to be wished and within the grasp of almost all contributors.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:02 pm
Those are big words dlowan.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:06 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Those are big words dlowan.

It's a big subject.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 12:07 am
Wilso wrote:
Abid wrote:
The truth is women in the western world are slaves to society. they think they have to reveal themselves for attention or self esteem, thinking this is the only way they will be noticed or fit in.

In essence, they are like meat on the market, ready for the next perve to leer and lust of them.

This is why I keep getting drawn into hatred.

Wilso, I'm so with you on this.

I want to be a beacon of intelligent rationality, but those guys make me want to smash stuff. I'm trying to remember that it's the dogma I hate, not the actual people...with whom I have no real contact....but I'm failing dismally.

I try to imagine that even those who say they would stone me for apostasy would pull me out of the river if they saw me drowning.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 12:34 am
dyslexia wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
when thay threaten us,
if another 9/11 happens.

Well Yes, of course, lets just nuke another nation and expand terrorism even further. We don't need no stinkin' Saudi oil anyway.

U leftists believe that
COWARDICE is the answer to all threats against us.

History disproves u.
Cowardice did not solve our problems
with the Japs, the nazis, nor the commies.

Do u all wish to put up your symbol,
the WHITE FLAG ( or shud that be the YELLOW flag ? )
and all become Moslems;
invite the Taliban over here to rule us, right ?
David

P.S.:
This is NOT to imply
that we have any reason to remain
in Iraq; we won THAT war as soon as we caught Saddam.
Now, its only foreign aid; a CHARITY project.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 12:51 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
...U leftists believe that
COWARDICE is the answer to all threats against us.

When you say "us" you actually mean the current US government & its supporters, David.
Actually this government, by its rash & aggressive actions against others, is a greater threat to world stability than any other current "threat" I can think of.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 03:14 am
Re: An epiphany - losing hatred - need help
Wilso wrote:
Some recent discussions dealing with some of the far right fanatics on this site actually made me feel sick to the stomach. The glib way they can discuss and actually call for some nation they don't like to be nuked, for hundreds of thousands, or possibly millions of people to be instantly vapourised, reveals them for the ugly, hate filled people that they really are. It suddenly dawned on me that my attitude to islam is not too far removed from how they feel towards just about everyone. For a person who is about to be a father, this is unacceptable. I do fear muslims greatly. I don't believe there'll be peace in any part of this world while that religion exists. But how do I lose hatred, and more importantly, not let it infect my children?
Can't you just relax a bit and poke some fun at the inanity? All the craziness is not likely to go away any time soon!
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 07:08 am
Chumly : Atefah Sahaaleh. Stops me laughing real quick.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:03 pm
Wilso, I would be interested in your response to the responses you have received. Have any actually been of help? Have any of them provided you with a different perspective? I'm asking because, so often, there are lots of responses with little knowledge being passed back and forth, even though there are some gems among those posters who have the knowledge and wisdom to really help. How often, I wonder, do those posters really make it through enough to have an effect?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:24 pm
Eorl wrote:
Fair enough, but if I as a Jew can find humor, surely my point must have some merit. Humor does not inherently imply dismissiveness or indifference does it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:31 pm
Chumly wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Fair enough, but if I as a Jew can find humor, surely my point must have some merit. Humor does not inherently imply dismissiveness or indifference does it?

Nope...it does not indeed.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:57 pm
Alright then, simply because you assert that there can be no humor in sadness (assuming that in fact you do) it definitively does not mean that for all intents and purposes under any circumstances for all people at all times there cannot be any.

Assuming in fact you are indeed making such a wide ranging claim, that's a rather myopic and presumptuous position and would appear to show a lack understanding of certain types of Jewish humor at the least, and a closed mind as to whether humor can illuminate and remain above being inherently dismissive and/or indifferent as discussed.

But we digress from the topic at hand; perhaps it would be a cool thread for future dialogue.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 03:21 pm
Something to keep in mind when discussing religion on this site or anywhere is that the people who are the most fervent defenders of a religion, the ones who seem to stand the strongest for every last godforsaken principle, are usually relatively new converts. For instance, I have a brother in law who was born again. For about five years after that he was the biggest blow hard, arguing with whoever he could about the most inane aspects of his religion or theirs. He was so hard to be around. But what I think he was (subconsciously) doing was trying to hone his own beliefs by arguing with people who didn't agree with him. I think of people on these sites who are the most active in the religion and spirituality forums in much the same way. While discussion with them might be interesting, or fun if you enjoy goading such people, they certainly do not represent the religion itself or the millions of other people who claim it. Think about all of the different sects of Christianity. If someone says to me that they are Christian, that could mean that they believe any number of things depending on their denomination. It must be the same with Islam.

As for visiting a muslim country, I favor Morocco. But then, that's the only one I've ever been to.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 03:47 pm
Nicely said!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 04:09 pm
Buddhism has lots of very specific disciplines for increasing compassion/loving kindness and hence reducing hatred.

You don't have to be a Buddhist to do them.....you can consider them simply as cognitive exercises that make sense.

Googling compassion meditation, or loving kindness meditation, for instance, will garner you a lot of information and specific meditation exercises.

I think that can be a good place to start, along with other suggestions made here.

Avoiding threads that mire you in hatred is a good start, too.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 05:34 pm
Chumly wrote:
Alright then, simply because you assert that there can be no humor in sadness (assuming that in fact you do)

I don't.

I kind of agree with you, Chumly. As comedy goes, nothing is sacred with me. I have the darkest sense of humour imaginable.

I guess what I reacted to was the question "Why can't you just relax and laugh, etc". While there is certainly humour in everything, I was empathizing with Wilso's anger and (I presume) frustration at not being able to do more to change things.

Ultimately, you're probably right. Laughter is surely the best weapon that can be used against religion.
0 Replies