Why don't we close mountains when weather bad?

CowDoc

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 08:46 am
Boomerang's point about mountain communities is true, but only of those communities where tourism is an economic boom. There are far more mountain and forest communites where tourists are generally transients, passing through on their way to a more popular mecca. The resource-dependent public lands communities are caught in the middle, often required to care for the recreationalists - of which it is often said that they come to town with a fresh pair of underwear and a twenty-dollar bill, and they don't change either one - while at the same time watching mines and mills close and grazing allotments become more restricted. The lack of understanding by the rest of the country has these people in an ever-tightening vise.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 01:19 pm
Interesting two page article on rescue attempts in general and the search for the Kim family - HERE
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:57 am
This time I'm low on sympathy, me who was once very in love with a mountaineer, explorer. On the other hand I may change my mind as I read more. Or be more harsh, distinguishing explorer from, y'know... people out to explore the edge of their psyche, or, just stupid.

Trouble, Mount Hood
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:42 am
dyslexia wrote:
I'm sure some of you remember a few years ago when some fookin' idiot hiked into the Canyonlands in Utah for a bit of a hike. He parked at the ranger station near the sign that said all hikers must register their hiking plans. He didn't bother and off he went. He ended up with his arm under a boulder that rolled down on top of him and ended up, after several days, using a pocket knife to cut off the pinned arm and gradually made it back to civilization only to appear on many network news interviews as a "brave and rugged outdoorsman. He should have been an example, in the media, as an idiot. (he was free to be an idiot but the media had the opportunity to educated the public on potentially dangerous hiking and the need to register your plans with the park rangers.
That same guy is climbing again, btw.

To me; closing a mountain is a funny idea, just as closing a beach is a funny idea. Neither can realistically be done. If you've ever looked out from a South Florida beach before a hurricane, typically closed on account of riptides and wicked waves, you'd probably see surfers. And if you were real lucky; you may have even seen one middle aged idiot from Wisconsin, who after 2 hours of nearly being drowned, cut to shreds by the combination of being rolled over and dragged against the bottom by the undertow, just trying to get out past the breakwater, once, and only once, hung more than 10 on a wave that began some 100 yards further out than Lake Worth Peer. Cool Damn, that was f*cking cool!

Closed essentially means not recommended. No rescuer is required to rescue anyone at his own peril. Just like the climbers themselves; they make a choice. Likely, for the exact same reason (Adrenaline Rush). IMO, we already have too many laws protecting me from me. Next you'll want to take away my bike, or make me wear a helmet. Thank you; no.

If you don't want to fund idiot-rescues with Tax dollars; don't. But don't presume to tell me what risks I can take with my own life. That's just crazy. Everyone with a skateboard to a race car takes risks that others do not. Swimming pools claim more lives than mountains. Hell, bathtubs claim more lives than mountains. I rue the day I am no longer entitled to my God-given right to be a fool. For goodness sake; how is that we can still sell sugar based products? It's no secret it makes us fat and threatens our health in all kinds of hellacious ways.

If some fool wants to climb the Grand Teton in the middle of a January Whiteout; I say let him. If he want's to duck tape synthetic feathers to his arms and try to soar like a bird from a high cliff, after several hands of poker with his favorite hooker and some wicked hits of the Killer Kind; that's his business too. Please people. No more laws designed to protect me from me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 04:48 am
They "closed" the SSusquehanna River near Harrisburg, because if someone got in trouble on the ice pack, it was rather unstable and the pressure ridges could wreck the rescue boats and endanger the rescuers. Just the other day, well after the announcement by the Pa Fish and Boat Commission and the River Rescue, some idiot tried to walk across the River on the grinding 10ft ice sheets. Its an erie landscape so I can understand many photographers wanting to get a pic at that perspective.

So, closing a mountain, or any other natural feature is really funny. Ive got experience with sailors who, hearing the weather forecasts will challenge the sea to make their next leg "riding out" the tip of an oncoming NEer. We sit in port and pay 2 extra days mooring (sometimes , if the storm looks almighty, and we have time, we have the boat RRed out of the water entirely)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 04:52 am
I'm not for closing. I'm railing about stupidity. Carry on...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 06:06 am
I am feeling a little vicious this morning.

Why not wait for a blizzard forecast (or a hurricane warning or a frozen river) and bus incorrigible juvenile delinquents to the site of Nature in the Raw as part of an Ultimate Outward Bound experience.

They come back improved or they don't come back at all.
0 Replies