Why don't we close mountains when weather bad?

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:34 am
The sad story of the death and disappearance of the mountain climbers makes me wonder about something that seems sensible. Why don't we close mountains to climbers when the weather is expected to be bad and dangerous?

We close beaches when its not safe.

We close public lands, parks and trails when the risk of fire is high.

We close highways when it's not safe to drive on them.

Why do we allow climbers on mountains when it is not safe? It not only puts their lives at risk. It also risks the lives of their rescurers.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,029 • Replies: 46
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:55 am
These were experienced mountain climbers, but they were surprised
by these harsh weather conditions and snow storms, as was the entire
Northwest by the way.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:00 am
Jane
They weren't smart enough to stay off the mountain and their experience didn't save them. It is a known fact that experienced climbers and skiers sometimes take more risks that eventually kill them because of their hubris.

In its modern usage, hubris denotes overconfident pride and arrogance; it is often associated with a lack of knowledge, interest in, and exploration of history, combined with a lack of humility. An accusation of hubris often implies that suffering or punishment will follow, similar to the occasional pairing of hubris and Nemesis in the Greek world. The proverb "pride goes before a fall" is thought to sum up the modern definition of hubris.

BBB
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:06 am
One would think also that an experienced climber would know that you always pack something extra for an emergency. I'm not saying that they were not experienced.
I think you are right. The trail heads should be closed when forcasts are bad, whether this was the case or not.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:16 am
You really can't "close" a mountain. Once you are above the treeline there aren't trailheads, really, but established routes that can be arrived at by any number of directions. It is impossible to monitor every way up a mountain.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:22 am
BBB
Closing the mountain may make climbers think twice about challenging the weather and save their lives.

BBB
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:22 am
BBB, yes the mountains should be closed when weather conditions are bad,
however I understand that the climbers were in that territory way before
the forecast changed. They run out of supplies due to the length
of unforseen complications. One of the climbers got injured, the others tried to help and got stranded themselves. You don't know if they took all the necessary precautions, or as you implied, were more daring and endangering themselves. It is just something you personally assume happened.

It's so easy to criticize from the comfort of your own sofa, isn't it?

Even in warm southern California territory, experienced climbers got
lost or injured which necessitated a search hunt and rescue effort.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:26 am
Jane
You've missed an important point. The reason the climbers died was because rescurers could not reach them because of the bad weather in time to save them.

Your "from my warm comfort" was an unnecessary a cheap shot.

BBB
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:29 am
No you didn't BBB. I just re-read your statements. You implied they were
stupid.

Quote:
They weren't smart enough to stay off the mountain and their experience didn't save them. It is a known fact that experienced climbers and skiers sometimes take more risks that eventually kill them because of their hubris.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:32 am
Jane
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:43 am
Being a hiker myself and not a climber I only assumed that climbers start their assent from common points.

BBB is see your point about beaches being closed, etc....

This was a very unfortunate event! This I think we are all in agreement with.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:53 am
martybarker wrote:
This was a very unfortunate event! This I think we are all in agreement with.

Of course we do! It is indeed very sad and very unfortunate.
On the other hand, I do come from Europe where mountains are much
higher, winters are much fiercer, and climbing is more prevalent than here in the US. Climbers in general are much more experienced and weather oriented than Sunday hikers, and they're far from taking risks easily.
Accidents happen there too, rescue teams sometimes work under worse
conditions including avalanchee prone regions, yet they still dedicate their
lifes to helping others in need.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:53 am
bbb , i agree with you ... but ... it's like trying to close a race-track imo .
some people like "to push the envelope" .
just recently a report from british columbia showed people entering a closed-off mountain area - there had been severe soil erosion and mudslides .
when this was pointed out to the 'trespassers' , they shrugged their shoulders and said : "we are familiar with this area" , and marched on .

i understand there is also a new trend :
refusing to take oxigen along on some climbs in the himalayas ???
hbg
hbg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:30 am
hamburger
Hamburger, if these "risk takers" want to do their thing, that's their choice. If they insist, they should agree, in writing, that no attempt to rescue them will be the result. It might make them think twice about indolging in their climbing thrills.

I object to risking the lives of rescurers (both on the ground and in the sky) in trying to save these risk takers---not to mention the high cost of such rescue attempts.

BBB
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:47 am
bbb :
i recall that a year or two ago some inexperienced climbers/hikers got stuck on a mountain in new-hampshire (?) .
they apparently were able to summon help by cellphone , but complained that it had taken the rescuers a long time to reach them !
hbg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:58 am
And supose they had known about the weather and prepared for it, and went anyway. Their choice, and choices have consequences. And no, we don't owe them a quarter million dollar rescue effort.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:00 am
Only God can close a mountain.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:25 am
I don't speak for everyone but most of the people in Oregon do not begrudge anyone the cost of rescue. Most searchers are volunteers who sincerely want people to be found. The military reserves participate in the search and rescue and consider it very valuable training. Tourism is a huge part of the Oregon economy and Mt. Hood accounts for a tremendous amout of that income. Over the years I have hiked and camped pretty extensively around Mt. Hood and I have met people from all over the world.

I do think these guys were a little foolish to attempt to summit Mt. Hood in December but they really did most things right. I think they had some kind of accident, beyond whatever happened to Kevin James - a lot of their gear was found on the summit. I doubt we'll ever know what happened.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:36 am
here in ontario warnings are often issued during the winter season not to go onto rivers and lakes that look as if they have frozen over and are safe for snowmobiles .
of course , those warnings are often ignored and every winter several people die when their snowmobiles go under - often at night after a drinking party . the police divers have a horrible job retrieving the bodies .
a particular "sport" when the spring-breakup comes , is to try and race snowmobiles over the open stretches between the ice sheets ...
not everyone makes it !
but next winter there are always new "space cadets" ready to give it a try .
hbg
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 12:34 pm
Re: Why don't we close mountains when weather bad?
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The sad story of the death and disappearance of the mountain climbers makes me wonder about something that seems sensible. Why don't we close mountains to climbers when the weather is expected to be bad and dangerous?

We close beaches when its not safe.

We close public lands, parks and trails when the risk of fire is high.

We close highways when it's not safe to drive on them.

Why do we allow climbers on mountains when it is not safe? It not only puts their lives at risk. It also risks the lives of their rescurers.

BBB

I agree and have been saying the same thing over and over since I began watching the rescue efforts on tv.
I don't have that mountain climbing gene, so I don't understand the whole thing about having to climb a snowy steep dangerous mountain in bitter cold and wind.....but I think that something should be done. It doesn't seem right that so many people should put their lives in danger hunting for people that think they can beat the mountain....and lose.
0 Replies