Which sequel do you think will be less painful to watch?

Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:05 pm
What the devil is going with Sly? He seems a nice enough type of guy, but isn't he a little old for these sequels?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 951 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:13 pm
I'll be interested in seeing if there's an audience for this film.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:27 pm
Are you both insane? Apparently you don't realize the popularity of the Rocky films(except for V). They're a cultural icon for the mid 20's-mid 30's male. The overall Rambo series is no comparison.

It actually got good reviews on rottentomatoes too...but we'll see. Either way, it's going to sell a lot of tickets.

Edit: you are correct about him being too old for the sequel. It's called, "unintentional comedy," and Sly is performing it at it's finest. I still want to see it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:32 pm
Mebbe you're right, Slappy, but a guy pushing 60 is an icon for guys in their 20s and 30s? I don't get it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:33 pm
Dartagnan wrote:
Mebbe you're right, Slappy, but a guy pushing 60 is an icon for guys in their 20s and 30s? I don't get it.

Not him, but the Rocky series. Sly himself is kind of a joke.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:41 pm
I don't know, but I gave somebody Rambo III Special Edition for my company's yankee swap! They were not pleased!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:42 pm
They say he went back to his roots on this one, focusing on the characters and storyline, and putting some real heart into it. You know, like the original Rocky. I actually liked the first two Rockys, and this looks like it might be more like those. Yes, I am not afraid to admit it. I'm seriously considering going to see this dumbass movie.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:43 pm
He, Rocky the character, is more an icon for guys in their late thirties to mid forties, I would think. The first Rocky movie came out in the mid seventies, '76 I think.

Last night this movie got a good review on NPR.

I think Stallone should have left it at one movie, the first one. Very inspirational, especially for a grade school kid.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:45 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Are you both insane? Apparently you don't realize the popularity of the Rocky films(except for V). They're a cultural icon for the mid 20's-mid 30's male. The overall Rambo series is no comparison.

It actually got good reviews on rottentomatoes too...but we'll see. Either way, it's going to sell a lot of tickets.

Edit: you are correct about him being too old for the sequel. It's called, "unintentional comedy," and Sly is performing it at it's finest. I still want to see it.

Dont' get me wrong I actually like most of the Rocky series, but at 60 years old?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:50 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
I think Stallone should have left it at one movie, the first one. Very inspirational, especially for a grade school kid.

You saw Party at Kitty and Stud's in grade school? Inspiration, indeed!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 04:05 pm
InfraBlue wrote:

Why? I through IV were all good.

That's like saying to the guy who opened the first McDonalds, "you should have left it at one." Well, not exactly McDonalds...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 07:21 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Why? I through IV were all good.

That's like saying to the guy who opened the first McDonalds, "you should have left it at one." Well, not exactly McDonalds...

I think the first one is the best because it perfectly illustrates the maxim "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." Rocky is ultimately a winner because of how he went about taking the challenge against Apollo Creed.

Every hollywood movie needs a sequel, and so, in the second, it becomes the American obsession with winning, "what matters is that you win," no matter that that kind of outlook is completely unrealistic in life.

With the third Rocky becomes a true franchise, and the story goes from contender, to champion, to softened, civilized champion who has to get back to his hungry roots. Ok story, but nowhere near the power of the first.

With the fourth Rocky becomes a ridiculous anti-Commie crusader, as the movie is a simplistic propaganda film.

It's like McDonald's going from a Quater Pounder to a McTaco.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 02:47 am
I'll watch it. Personally, I think Sly just wants to show off his 60 yr old bod.

He's looking good, and he has accomplished much. He can do whatever he wants now in my books.

Off topic somewhat...but am I the only one who thought his pudding was a good idea?

I just like the guy. Go Sly!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 02:59 pm
WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

Ok, so I went and saw this movie last night.

It wasn't bad. It had some pretty inspirational moments. Like when Rock tells his son:

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!" source

Those are great lines.

Also, Sly played Rock like the lovable lug he was in the first movie. Very endearing.

In all, this movie is as close to the original in story and emotion that any of the sequels has approached.
0 Replies