Quotes from the not-so-famous

Rae

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 09:59 pm
Prompting from well-seasoned and loved members has provoked (in a nice way) this request.....

We would love to hear your notable quotes from family members, friends, coworkers ~ anything you feel that deserves repeating.....

An example, as I've posted elsewhere.....

From my favorite grandmother, Nana:

"Put a sweater on, I'm cold."

I miss her, terribly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,031 • Replies: 42
No top replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 10:10 pm
Actually, my own mother was fond of quoting the famous. But, in addition, she uttered some of her own memorable sayings.

"You can do anything you want as long as you're sure you're not hurting anybody else." (That one limited my acitivity in a big way.)

And then there was the one that all mothers of a certain era (and probably of today's era as well) said:

"Make sure you have clean underwear on. You never know when you might be in an accident."

and "Never sit on a public toilet seat."
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 10:16 pm
And from my father:

"Joe's here"

said whenever there was a creak, squeek, bang or the like of undetermined origin.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 10:16 pm
lol......Oh my.....roflmao.....

The tears are streaming down my face, bandylu......

Oh, stop it! It hurts!

Clean underwear.....oh my!!!!!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 10:30 pm
Can't believe you never heard that one, Rae.

And then there was:

"If you'll ignore your brothers, they'll stop teasing you."

Fat chance!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 10:38 pm
bandylu ~ I have heard the underwear one ~ it just cracks me up every time I hear it.....

Keep'em comin.....
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 10:56 pm
From my mother (who was raised on a farm):

"I never liked to eat chicken because the day before it was my pet."

and

"The nice thing about the Model T was I could take it apart and put it back together again and have a few parts left over and it would still run."
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 12:10 am
Years ago I decided that I would not allow John Bartlett to be the keeper of the key to my treasury of quotations. Based on that decision, I started my personal collection of quotations, culled from famous writers, comic strips, quips by friends, and much more - kept on index cards at that time but now in my computer. In the past two-plus years I have added many from the annals of a certain interactive Internet forum, presumably not to be named here. Looking through them just now, this was the first one that turned up in my A-Z collection.

"Isn't it interesting, Tmoor, that books which make us feel so
connected to universal truths can at the same time make us feel
alienated from our immediate society?
I sometimes wonder how escapist reading is."
….. Consuelo, 8 Jan. 2001
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 12:36 am
Aa wrote:
a certain interactive Internet forum, presumably not to be named here.

I'm might be making an incorrect assumption but...

Abuzz, Abuzz, Abuzz, Abuzz, Abuzz, Abuzz, Abuzz, Abuzz!

There is no Able2Know loyalism, I think most here think there's room on the net for 2 forums.

I hope you were speaking of Abuzz, because if not: Embarrassed
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 01:23 am
Thanks for letting me know, Craven. I just came from reading the entirel "Abuzz Guilt" forum, so now I'm aware that it's quite okay to mention Abuzz and even to discuss it at length. I didn't know until now whether the name of Abuzz was ineffable here. It sure is good to be a hatchling and not know these things, a status I intend to cling to as long as possible.

Separate topic: A long time ago, on a Usenet newsgroup, I saw a wavy line of ASCII symbols that I liked. I grabbed it to add to my personal collection and then used it once on Abuzz. Not long after that, Andrew T. used that wavy-line symbol. To your knowledge, does that graphic device appear sporadically in a lot of other places on the Web?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 01:30 am
Yes, one line ASCII "art" is commonly used by web designers. Graphics have their drawbacks and there are many online ASCII tidbits that come in handy.

I use :: for separators for e.g.

As to the signature separator have a look at this.

Over 210,000 pages for that particular one.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 09:31 pm
Now, back to the not-so-famous quotes:

"The key to good gravy is to almost burn the meat." (Mom)

"Let's close the blinds and pretend it's night all day." (My college roomie)

"You can't eat books." (My Mom to my Dad when he persisted in stopping at the bookstore each payday.)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 10:06 pm
Are we there yet?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 06:38 am
Do you want to get out and walk?

If you two don't knock it off right now, I will turn this car around, we'll go home and do nothing. Nothing! Do ya hear me?
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 06:40 pm
From Mom: It takes two to have an argument.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 06:51 pm
The gf's recently deceased stepfather was famous among friends for telling everyone he saw at the start of every fall, "Watch out for wet leaves. They're like snot." Really, he said it rather a lot.

And my long-departed grandfather to any guest who came into the house, "Can I get you something? 7-Up? Beer? Slap in the belly with a wet fish?" He had a habit of addressing all young boys as "Susie," and all young girls as "Fred." (As his memory started to go, these became his second-person pronouns for just about everybody. Around the same time, he would ask "What's trump?" so often during pinochle games that the words have remained a family joke long after his death. It's a joke he would have liked.)

My other grandfather opened most stories about his childhood with "When I was a little girl..."

(What's up with the obsession with gender confusion in my family, anyway?)

Okay, I'm done now. Verbose days, Wednesdays...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 07:31 pm
Joanne Dorel you get in here right now and ... . Mom
It is late sleep fast. Mom
Joannie Junie Bug is a ... . Any one of my 12 cousins
Yo butt head, pick up the phone. My best friend in Philly
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 08:17 pm
"If you want something from Dad, you must wait until the psychological moment." Mom, in an effort to keep the seven of us from attacking my father as he walked into the front door

(They also called the downstairs bathroom the 'cashier's room' since that was where my Dad dispensed our weekly allowance -- at the psychological moment, of course).
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:00 pm
roflmao..... Rolling Eyes :wink: Very Happy
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:28 pm
"Because I'm the Mom, that's why!"
0 Replies