Synchronized Swimming

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:29 pm
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/spo/med/2004/08/ipt/1093916351.jpg

Quote:
Posted on Tue, Dec. 12, 2006
National synchronized swim team decided
Associated Press
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Eleven synchronized swimmers were selected Tuesday to the team that will represent the U.S. at the World Aquatic Championships in March in Melbourne, Australia.

The selections were made at the Senior National Trials at Ohio State's McCorkle Aquatic Center on the Ohio State campus.

Selected for the team that will compete March 17-24 were: Brooke Abel (Fallbrook, Calif.); Poppy Carlig (Richmond, Calif.); Janet Culp (Littleton, Colo.); Jennie Culp (Littleton, Colo.); Kate Hooven (Pleasanton, Calif.); Christina Jones (Fremont, Calif.); Becky Kim (Walnut Creek, Calif.); Andrea Nott (San Jose, Calif.); Annabelle Orme (Walnut Creek, Calif.); Jillian Penner (Seattle, Wash.); and Kim Probst (Troy, N.Y.).

Jones and Nott were announced Sunday as the duet on the 2008 Olympic team. The remaining members of the Olympic team will be named April 28 in Indianapolis at the U.S. National Championships

Pssst, that's just a ruse. This be a meeting of the A2K sisterhood. We meet down here in the basement by the sports equipment now and then to chat about the world around us. It's a good place for a rap session uninterrupted by the throwing of spit wads with attitude. Just let it be known that if yas get outta line, we'll put you in the middle of the next formation and smack you silly like we did that Aflac quack.

http://www.visit4info.com/sitecontent/LG/fullZZZZZZTVCXX0609124304PIC.jpg

"Everybody into the pool!"

::::adjusts suit bottom wedgy before clasping hands over head and diving into pool::::
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,538 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:35 pm
delete what I said, have to think about an answer more.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:19 am
Remember Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels? Ever feel like you are living in a world of stubborn Lilliputs and Blefuscus?

Like an awkward sychronized swimmer, it's rough being near the middle of the political spectrum. You get smacked around from all sides and it's difficult to put up a defense because you can find benefit and folly at both ends. How do you stick up for those friends at either end of the tug-o-war when they're being both a part of the dogpile and under the dogpile?

Anyone else feel that way? How do you deal with it, do you just keep quiet and stay out of it, or do you speak up and carry a lot of bandaids? Is it possible to fit in without being a traffic cop?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:32 am
I think I understand you, bfnet.

Turning to a new tent doesn't seem useful to me. I'm not a natural clique person.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:39 am
On fitting in, just talk. All on a2k is not war.

This is not entirely direted to you, bfnet.

Just that I don't see conversation being a matter of pallisades or developed forts.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:23 am
Yeah, "just talk" is about it. I stand up for ideas I agree with and argue with ideas I disagree with, regardless who utters them. And if my friends can't take being disagreed with, they don't stay friends long. ;-)
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:23 pm
If one synchronized swimmer drowns, are the rest obligated to drown too?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:27 pm
I can only hope so.

Assuming they'll live but have their robotry zapped.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:36 pm
This is not against butryflynet, whom I gather identified with these athletes.

Just sayin', for me, this was the most, or vied for the most, contrived attempt at sport I'd seen or read about, me, reading sports stories from early in the twentieth century onward.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 02:10 am
ossobuco wrote:
This is not against butryflynet, whom I gather identified with these athletes.

Just sayin', for me, this was the most, or vied for the most, contrived attempt at sport I'd seen or read about, me, reading sports stories from early in the twentieth century onward.

You assume incorrectly. It has nothing really to do with sport. It is a metaphor for talking about the state of our societies and this message board's political community. It is that robotry on both sides of the middle that I feel uncomfortable about. Refusing to be flexible to reach a compromise both can live with, shunning and ridiculing anyone who doesn't fall in line with their side. I find it difficult to communicate with that frame of mind. I end up feeling very hypocritical because I am willing to see and learn from both sides of the coin. Like I said earlier, I often feel like the person squeezed in the middle of a swim formation. If I lean toward either direction, I get smacked for being out of line. Who cares which is the classy end of the egg to be broken, as long as it gets broken so it can feed people.

I put the thread here, and used the synchronized swimming metaphor because I'd like to talk with some others who are feeling squeezed from both sides without it getting distracted with fights in the wings.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 10:50 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies