http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGyGNxHtvRk
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:13 pm
We doing the "Christmas in July" thing? Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:29 pm
Spit fits, as I have trouble enough looking at this thread title later in the year.

You're trying to rile me up.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 02:24 am
slow day at the office edgar?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 11:36 am
I always have a little Christmas in July fest. My wife's employer is having the same thing over there. I was deprived of Christmas quite a bit as a child. As an adult, I refuse to let others keep me from enjoying it. Rock on, Santa. Keep on truckin' Rudoph.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 12:53 pm
oh by golly.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 12:55 pm
I'll send ya a fruitcake. (I know it's still around here somewhere)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:01 pm
When I was a boy I would have killed for fruitcake.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:33 pm
Thats the meth in fruitcake thats responsible for those urges EB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:45 pm
I always wondered about that.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 07:55 pm
Where that town in Texas where they make the fruitcakes? (the edible kind.) OOOOKAY< the purported edible kind. I like fruitcake, so there.

Hey, Edgar, the other day my grownup kiddo is talking about his mother's family (They and I and she are long estranged, but I have never had a bad word to say about any of them) Anyhow he is relating as to how they moved to a little Texas town about ten years ago

--- yeah, about ten years to a teeny town, you've probably never heard of it, Dad, says he.

Oh yeah, says I, who hitchhiked all over Texas in my military days, try me.

Tomball.

Oh yes, Tomball, says I, I actually know someone who lives there, a distinguished member of Tomball society, a writer of some renown.

You're so full of it, says he lisping on the it a little.

Joe(He may come knocking on your door)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 08:05 pm
I am continually confounded to see such a diversity of souls in Tomball, such as the woman from Fish Hoek, South Africa, a gentleman from London - Heck, a few years ago, natives of Houston, when told where I live, asked, "Is that in the United Stats?" With the influx of so many newcomers these days, the local news shows mention us at least as much as any other part of the area. We have come of age. Now, if they would change our name. Of course, Tomball is better than the old name, Peck.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 08:08 pm
That's one of the things I really miss now that my dad is gone. For as long as I can remember, every single year no matter what, at the bare minimum he always sent both of us kids a holiday canister with one of those Collin Street fruitcakes in it. I looked forward to them and thought they were very good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 08:10 pm
The Collin Street Bakery, in Corsicana, could be the one that makes the good cakes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:16 pm
I like fruitcake. Specifically the Joy of Cooking complicated recipe from 1976 or something. I used to wrap them in cheesecloth soaked in Hennessey cognac, sometimes replenished. Slice very thin..
(and now I do my own orange peel.. but so what. Well, it's easy and I gather smells wonderful in the doing. Even I can smell it.)

Christmas on the other hand generally annoys me.

Ok, ok, not entirely, but much of the loud folderol does. If I were ever to go postal, it would be at some decorations or at some sound system.

Which is odd, as I used to love getting to go for a ride to look at the lights in Sauganash, however you spell it.

Slaps self, get into it, osso. I usually am sick of my home team too. Give me some exotic extravaganza like Rio's Carnival as portrayed in Orpheo, and I can begin to be interested. But Christmas in the elevator, give me oxygen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 04:53 am
Butrflynet wrote:
That's one of the things I really miss now that my dad is gone. For as long as I can remember, every single year no matter what, at the bare minimum he always sent both of us kids a holiday canister with one of those Collin Street fruitcakes in it. I looked forward to them and thought they were very good.

I posted before reading your post. Got to be the right bakery.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 04:56 am
ossobuco wrote:
I like fruitcake. Specifically the Joy of Cooking complicated recipe from 1976 or something. I used to wrap them in cheesecloth soaked in Hennessey cognac, sometimes replenished. Slice very thin..
(and now I do my own orange peel.. but so what. Well, it's easy and I gather smells wonderful in the doing. Even I can smell it.)

Christmas on the other hand generally annoys me.

Ok, ok, not entirely, but much of the loud folderol does. If I were ever to go postal, it would be at some decorations or at some sound system.

Which is odd, as I used to love getting to go for a ride to look at the lights in Sauganash, however you spell it.

Slaps self, get into it, osso. I usually am sick of my home team too. Give me some exotic extravaganza like Rio's Carnival as portrayed in Orpheo, and I can begin to be interested. But Christmas in the elevator, give me oxygen.

While I can agree that some of the merriment gets excessive, it's no worse than other occasions where humanity makes a fool of itself. Aside from what it means to me personally, there is the aspect of all the color and excitement in the middle of what is otherwise a pretty drab season.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 05:05 am
I love fruitcake. home made only though cant stand that store bought stuff.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:39 am
Collin Street is as close to homemade as you will ever get out of a box or tin.

My mother, unless this is one of mistaken memories of childhood, started her Christmas fruitcake the day after Halloween. There was some soaking of dried fruits, a making of a starter and then, about a week later, much shelling of nuts and pitting of cherries and the actual baking.

Then it disappeared.

It would re-appear only on Christmas Day and children got to eat about two cubic inches at a time.

(I think now she kept the cake wrapped in cloth and brandy in a big round tin on the top of the good china cabinet. I think that because she sent me a fruitcake in such a tin when I was in the USAF in California. The barracks smelled like a brewery when I opened up the box, but only for a few minutes, which was all the time it took for the gathered zoomies to eat the whole thing.

I was REQUIRED to send back the empty tin.)

Joe(I did manage to get my share.)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 11:23 am
Nothing beats old fashioned cooking on a festive occasion.
0 Replies