Color perception

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:14 pm
Glad to see you all. I m'self have weird eyes, but I didn't know it for sure until I was nearly 50. Slowhand...... what do I think, we perceive colors differently, but some emotions, while individual, are at least similar.

I have retinitis pigmentosa in some sort of very slow staging, hope it kicks in when I am a hundred.

I didn't catch on that other people saw differently until I started missing sitting down in chairs in seats in theaters or dark bars as I approached twenty one. To cut to the chase, I have very diminished rods, aka peripheral vision, also night vision...but it has stayed the same since then...no big progression, but I didn't know that then.

Eventually cones and the optic nerve are affected but it looks now that I may be 110 before that happens, knock wood, etc. People who have what I have are famous for sailing while blind....that kind of thing. So, my case was the slowest of the 1500 cases the guy at UCLA had. Not to get cocky, sine curves can twist. But my worries have, frankly, moved on to other exciting things.

I am a painter and was before I knew I had this thing. I tend to see more visually than most of my friends, although not always as far or fast. Certainly as an artist and designer I just look harder. But who am I kidding, I am always catching up.

Colors, there have been tomes and studies on colors. I have some sort of print out by Goethe that mentions yellow as a color for Jews. I didn't destroy that since even in my twenties I thought that was save worthy, as strange. So it is somewhere in my cartons of stuff. Certainly Albers on color.

Myself, I thrill at color and all our reactions to it. From my pov, there is too much bright and graphic recently, there is more sleek nuance from other color combos. I am also not a complete fan of organized color...y'know, just do it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:21 pm
Color under fluorescent lights of different kelvin, color under different bulbs, color under north light, color in blazing sun....color chips next to different color chips...color sings or doesn't next to another color. Color touches different hearts. Color looks clownish to another viewer.

Someone once told me there are no bad plants. There are no bad colors.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:42 pm
There are no bad colors. But those ceramic pots I picked up in Mexico looked horribly garish on my porch in Ohio!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:07 am
OK, then, there we go, colors are BAD in context....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:11 am
Whatever is bad now will be featured in magazines soon enough.

trust your eye, trust your eye, trust your eye....... and so on.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:11 am
Well, I did leave Ohio permanently not long thereafter... been looking for somewhere the colors are good ever since. Yes, I know that's not grammar.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:52 am
I am really too obnoxious tonight, sorry. I am a little giddy after a day's work. Tell us about leaving Ohio, Wy....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:27 pm
color
Osso, you couldn't be obnoxious even if you tried.
By the way, in landscape painting it seems to me the importance of color is the creation of mood. Notice I said the "creation", not the capturing of mood. I don't like to objectify such aesthetic experiences. They are the artist's and her viewers creations.
My preference is for abstract creations--not that representational work isn't REALLY also abstract work--and in my efforts I do not EXPRESS my emotions through color; I GENERATE them by means of colors. I don't think that was clear. Let me just say that when I see colors in others' paintings and in my own, I feel emotions or, more basically, feelings. Colors are the causes of emotion/feelings rather than the effects of them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:07 pm
Yes, JL, I agree.
0 Replies