Color perception

fresco

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:38 am
Kuvasz! Your promotion to "Man Type 4" is in the post !
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:51 am
fresco wrote:
Kuvasz! Your promotion to "Man Type 4" is in the post !

i just wish we could get our old buddy Crepa here to discuss these types of things. i still hold his award in a high place.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:52 am
Well, this is all very interesting! I used to vex myself and make myself dizzy and small with these sorts of speculations when I was little, too. It seems there is more evidence for relative uniformity of colour perception than I thought.

Why, if I may be allowed a little detour, do we then have such different emotional reactions to some colours?

I accept a relative uniformity of responses physically to colours such as blue and green, and red and orange - but why does a friend of mine insist on decorating in the particular shade of blue-based red and muddy, dark green that sends my senses shrinking and jangling into conniptions, but is a traditional colour scheme beloved by many? No doubt my love of autumnal colours and cobalt and indigo send her reeling, too?

Why do I hate blue-based reds, and love yellow-based ones? Why do some browns make me ill, and others make me feel warm and sensual? You get the idea.

As a sidebar, and speaking of synaesthesia, when I was small, all people had a distinct colour to me - nothing to do with the colours of their bodies, or their clothes. Music was also visible to me - different colours for the different instruments - they made lovely, complex patterns as they swirled and spun themselves around me - patterns that did, in relation to each other, what the musical harmonies and points and counter points were doing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:07 am
dlowan, I remember seeing light shows based on the music being played. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:22 am
Quote:
Why, if I may be allowed a little detour, do we then have such different emotional reactions to some colours?

Why do we have different emotional reactions to sounds? Or to smells? My mother swears she loves the smells of run-over skunks and railcars full of sugar beets -- for the love of god... Seems to me there is a larger question at work here: how and why do we individuate at all in these matters? (Perhaps an interesting pseudo-experiment would be to conduct interviews with various groups around the world and ask for their reactions to a fixed set of stimuli -- and a very broad one -- and see what groups seem to display the widest range / most random assortment of tastes. Though I suspect this would be largely determined by what stimuli are used in the experiment. Jungle sounds, for instance, just sound like jungle sounds to most of us subtropical sub/urbanites, whereas someone who lives in, say, the Amazon would probably be able to make more sense of it. Similarly, traffic noise might just be a rush of sound to someone with no traffic, but we'd be attuned to the different textures, the presence of horns or sirens or whatever.)

Sorry, just thinking out type-loud, and not getting anywhere in particular...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:24 am
I know the trained sensitivity kuvasz is talking about. As someone who dabbled in lighting design for a while, I go to the theater and my eye automatically scans for hot spots, for unwanted shadows, for any apparently unintended variations in intensity or color, and if I (quietly) point it out to the person I'm with, they just don't see it. And don't care. (And rightly so.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:38 am
pd, It seems too much knowledge may ruin the 'show.' Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:06 am
Ah, if the show's bad enough that I'm really paying attention to the design, it's already ruined. But yeah, prolly.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:07 am
kuvasz, there may be another reason for your ability to detect the smallest differences in the violet dyes...

Years ago, when I was studying graphic art in college, my optometrist informed me that my pupils were larger than average. (I could not wear hard contact lens because in low light I saw around the edges of the lenses...terrific eye strain headaches, as you can imagine!) The optometrist told me that it is very common for people with this physical trait to go into visual fields, because they actually can see more tiny variations of colors than most people can. He gave me a test, where small squares of color gradations appeared in sequence, sometimes repeated. He asked me to tell him how many different shades of a color were on each line. I could identify more than the average.

When I worked for an ad agency, I was the one they quickly chose to do press proofs because I could instantly detect too much magenta, cyan, etc. This "fundamental sensitivity" led to an even greater "trained sensitivity" (patiodog) as I continued to work in that field. Although I have not done much press proofing in recent years, I find I am still able to correct color better than most, and I still drive the people at the paint store crazy!

dlowan...very interesting questions. I remember reading a lot of color theory relating to individuals' emotional/psychological states and needs influencing color preferences. In fact, color tests were given in European workplaces in the '70s and '80s as a way to profile personalities. They had it down to an exact science.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:09 am
(eva continues to shed light on my short-sighted ignorance, for which i am appreciative.)
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:14 pm
Eva wrote:
kuvasz, there may be another reason for your ability to detect the smallest differences in the violet dyes...

Years ago, when I was studying graphic art in college, my optometrist informed me that my pupils were larger than average. (I could not wear hard contact lens because in low light I saw around the edges of the lenses...terrific eye strain headaches, as you can imagine!) The optometrist told me that it is very common for people with this physical trait to go into visual fields, because they actually can see more tiny variations of colors than most people can. He gave me a test, where small squares of color gradations appeared in sequence, sometimes repeated. He asked me to tell him how many different shades of a color were on each line. I could identify more than the average.

When I worked for an ad agency, I was the one they quickly chose to do press proofs because I could instantly detect too much magenta, cyan, etc. This "fundamental sensitivity" led to an even greater "trained sensitivity" (patiodog) as I continued to work in that field. Although I have not done much press proofing in recent years, I find I am still able to correct color better than most, and I still drive the people at the paint store crazy!

dlowan...very interesting questions. I remember reading a lot of color theory relating to individuals' emotional/psychological states and needs influencing color preferences. In fact, color tests were given in European workplaces in the '70s and '80s as a way to profile personalities. They had it down to an exact science.

well, in those my salad days, i was smoking a lot of ganga and dropping acid regularly, so maybe i had enlarged pupils?

but you hit on a salient point. in the dyeing industry, the best color matchers are women, and the "red eye" to which i referred is a trait older men get with age. and is anathema to guys who run dye houses. they lose sensitivity to blues and yellows and see see more red.

i do a lot of fiber arts.. batiks, marbling (ugh! its damn tough) and of course, tie dyes, and with the dyes and pigments i use i can almost "taste" the colors and how to combine them for the colors i want to produce. it's a lot like being a chef.

and about those tie dyes, ask around, many a2kers have one and they can tell you about the colors i use.

http://home.mindspring.com/~fcalaja/_uimages/birthdayupallnight1.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:23 pm
kuvasz, Is that your ranch in the background? c.i.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:05 pm
yeap, i got some BIG dogs in the background.

that's my neighbors livestock. they come by in the morning and i feed them apples daily.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:06 pm
Hey, you stole my shirt . . .
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:20 pm
Setanta wrote:
Hey, you stole my shirt . . .

waddayamean? i gave you the shirt off my back, even if i did forget to wash it first.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:21 pm
It's gone now . . . Lovey's got it . . . i'll never wear it again, i suspect . . .

sniff
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:28 pm
I thought they had them big dogs only in Texas. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:26 pm
kuvasz, come a little closer and look into my eyes... Rolling Eyes :wink:

The shirt is very cool. Love the colors! Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:38 pm
NO, NO! Don't look into her eyes. You'll fall under her spell, then what? c.i.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:55 pm
up all night partying from my birthday gathering i fear. you should have seen the ones who were sleeping on the floor that morning, they were rough.

probably could see a lot more colors that morning with those dilated pupils.

most of the people i know doing tie dyes use predominantly a navy blue but i like to use a royal blue dye shaded with a touch of violet with nearby a contrasted colored area of golden yellow. it seems to bring out the best in both colors to have them near each other. a light royal blue is a wonderful color too and my favorite color is that violet. there is just so much in that color that stabs the eye and one can see alternating blue and red waves of color the more one looks at it. that violet color really quivers.
0 Replies