Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:42 pm
Last summer when the lady Diane was in Taos one day she stopped at a roadside stand and bought some elk jerky. She really liked and, in fact, ate all of it before arriving home that evening. So I got on-line today looking for elk jerky and found a site that retails elk jerky. The problem is that they list both "regular elk jerky" and "kippered elk jerky." I have no idea what the difference might be so I ordered a tin of each. Does anyone have a clue?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,218 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:15 pm
Re: kippered jerky
dyslexia wrote:
Last summer when the lady Diane was in Taos one day she stopped at a roadside stand and bought some elk jerky. She really liked and, in fact, ate all of it before arriving home that evening. So I got on-line today looking for elk jerky and found a site that retails elk jerky. The problem is that they list both "regular elk jerky" and "kippered elk jerky." I have no idea what the difference might be so I ordered a tin of each. Does anyone have a clue?

Looks like kippering means drying, salting and smoking.

Jerky appears to be just dried.

Although I would guess it is flavoured somehow?

But what would I know...never eaten the stuff.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:21 pm
Jerky is great stuff to have when you're hiking the mountains. It doesn't spoil, tastes good and is loaded with protein. I try to avoid the stuff with the preservatives though.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:24 pm
I used to buy beef jerky when we went on long road trips
because I didn't have to pee for hours on end after eating that stuff -
it's salty as hell.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 08:52 am
Kippered is a vague, region-specific word in the meat business, but it probably refers to in this case the elk meat being cured with commercial products prior to its being dried.

Normal jerky is typically neither smoked nor cured. It is simply dried. If you possess a dehydrator I could give you a fantastic jerky recipe you could make yourself and save many dollars per pound.

But as for kippering, I imagine the reason for doing this is to provide a different taste and texture I suppose. Let us know what you think of both selections.
0 Replies