Upgrading Swamp Coolers Might Be the Better Way

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 12:03 am
Great op-ed article re saving water, energy and money for air conditioning.
-----BumbleBeeBoogie

Monday, June 23, 2003 - Albuquerque Journal
Upgrading Swamp Coolers Might Be the Better Way
By Kerney Bolton,
Albuquerque Architect

The city (Albuquerque) has a drought plan that would ban the use of certain types of evaporative coolers during extreme conditions, and the mayor has recently announced a new $500 rebate for people who convert from swamp cooler to refrigerated air.

We live in a desert and we're short on water, so should we junk our swamp coolers and lay out the big bucks for refrigerated air conditioning?
Converting to refrigerated air will set you back around $3,000-$5,000 plus about $150-$400 a year to operate. At those prices the mayor probably won't have many takers for his $500 rebate except from people who want refrigerated air badly enough to convert anyway.

How about a plan to save water with evaporative cooling. Sounds nuts? Let's take a look.

The simplest evaporative coolers, often called swamp coolers, have thin pads on all four sides and on-off switches for controls. When equipped with bleeders they waste oceans of water. But, disconnect the bleeder and you save thousands of gallons annually.

The bleeder siphons off water to keep salts from building up and clogging the pads. This is total overkill! Given the city's water quality, manually flushing the cooler two or three times a month is very nearly as effective.

If manual flushing doesn't fly with you, install a dump-pump kit for around $50 that will automatically change the water for you. This will use a little more water but far less than a bleeder. If you use the dumped water for irrigation, it will not be wasted at all!

Another way to rev-up a swamp cooler is to add a thermostat and timer kit. It will cost $100 or so, but the cooler will run fewer hours, at lower speed. Water and energy costs will plummet while comfort and convenience improve. Both upgrade kits are available at local building supply stores.

If you want to go all the way, replace your swamp cooler with a fully-loaded, single-inlet evaporative cooler. These $600- to $1,800-units make a swamp cooler look like a Model T! The pad is from 8 to 18-inches thick and produces much cooler air. Dump pumps are standard, and a microprocessor-based thermostat and timer will control speed, water, run time, and dump functions.

So how much water can the city expect to save if we upgrade our swamp coolers or exchange them for single-inlet units?

The fact is, nobody knows for sure. The city has never actually measured swamp cooler water use. The guesstimate is 3.2 billion gallons annually, but only part of that is used by residential evaporative coolers, the rest goes to cooling towers used on commercial and government buildings.

Using a study by the city of Phoenix, which did measure water use and City Planning Department housing statistics, Albuquerque is probably using around two billion gallons annually. Replacing bleeders with dump pumps could save around 900 million gallons, and adding thermostats and timers on swamp coolers, around 300 million gallons more. Alternatively, exchanging swamp coolers for single-inlet evaporative units could save around 1.4 billion gallons.

Conversion to refrigerated air would save an additional 300 million gallons over single inlet coolers.

For a typical new 2,000-square-foot house, cooled by a single-inlet evaporative cooler, annual water use would be around 5,600 gallons for evaporative cooling, 700 gallons for the dump pump, and 600 gallons at PNM to generate the 800 or so kilowatt-hours needed to run the cooler. At 8.5 cents per kilowatt-hour, the annual energy cost would be about $68.

For the same house, refrigerated air would consume 2,800 gallons of water to generate the 3,800 kilowatt-hours needed to power the system. The annual energy cost would be about $325.

The dark side of conversion to refrigerated air comes from that huge increase in energy consumption. According to PNM and EPA energy statistics, and estimates of city housing, refrigerated air conditioning would consume around 100,000 more tons of coal and 700 million more cubic feet of gas, while adding 250,000 more tons of carbon dioxide, 1,000 more tons of nitrous oxide and 400 more tons of sulfur dioxide to our air annually.

If swamp cooler upgrades and exchanges are relatively cheap and save large amounts of water, and conversion to refrigerated air is expensive and unlikely to happen in large numbers, seems like changes in the way we use swamp coolers could save a lot more water, coal, and gas, and fight pollution to boot!

Here is a program we can all live with.

Establish a city-wide evaporative cooling information program.

Mount a campaign to remove bleeder systems from all existing evaporative coolers.

Offer a rebate for all thermostat-timer upgrades.

Ban the use of bleeders in new construction

Set new-construction standards for evaporative cooler sizing, controls, and flushing systems.

Offer rebates for single-inlet evaporative coolers in new construction.

Water is not the only resource that we are wasting in our desert. Fossil fuels can't be replaced and clean air is being fouled faster than it can be cleansed. We have the opportunity to reduce all three, let's roll!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kerney Bolton works as a residential designer, is a Harvard-educated engineer and a graduate of the School of Architecture and Planning at the University of New Mexico.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 27,940 • Replies: 24
No top replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 01:07 am
Good info.

The drier the air, the more effective a swamp cooler is,
and the more I appreciate having it raise the humidity!
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 03:30 am
Thanks for the information. We bought a retirement (1062 days and counting) home in Arizona last year. It has a swamp cooler, but so far I've only lived there for a few weeks in the winter, and haven't had to fiddle with it yet. Now I'll know a little more about what to look for.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 09:41 am
A swamp cooler conversion reminder
Its getting to be that time of year again when getting swamp coolers ready for the hot weather (except for places like OZ and other southern climes).

I thought a report on swamp cooler conversion reminder might be useful.

BBB
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 09:44 am
Bleeders? Never heard of them. Good article, but probably limited appeal outside the southwest.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 09:51 am
Roger
Roger, we had swamp coolers in California, too. In the areas of the country where humidity is not high during the hot months, swamp coolers are great because they provide interior humidity, which is better for humans, furniture and plants.

BBB
0 Replies

ribizke

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:03 pm
Re: Roger
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Roger, we had swamp coolers in California, too. In the areas of the country where humidity is not high during the hot months, swamp coolers are great because they provide interior humidity, which is better for humans, furniture and plants.

BBB

BBB, My name is Tunde, I would like to ask you a question, we are thinking about putting a swamp cooler in our business in Los Angeles.
My concern is, how much humidity it will create?
We have paper boxes and baskets stored in the buliding.
If you have any idea I would appreciate your input.
Thanks
Tunde
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:19 pm
Tunde
Tunde, I don't have expertise re the question you ask.

I entered the following question on Google and found some topics that might help you: moisture content in air of warehouse storage of paper products. You might want to search for info on that site.

Welcome to A2K; glad to have you here.

BBB
0 Replies

ribizke

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 02:58 pm
Re: Tunde
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Tunde, I don't have expertise re the question you ask.

I entered the following question on Google and found some topics that might help you: moisture content in air of warehouse storage of paper products. You might want to search for info on that site.

Welcome to A2K; glad to have you here.

BBB

Hi,
Thanks for your help.
Tunde
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 08:36 am
BBB
As the hot weather arrives, you may want to review the following before you invest or repair your air conditioning system.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 08:55 am
Thanks, BBB, I just learned a bunch.

I've never lived with any kind of air cooling before. We didn't have it in Chicago when I was a child (had to go to a department store or the movies to get some chill) and didn't use it in Venice, California, which could get very warm in the summer.
When I move to Albuquerque one of these days, I'll be interested in swamp coolers, so this has been a useful article for me personally. For the city as a whole it makes a lot of sense that Albuquerque follow this fellow's suggestions at the end of the article.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 08:59 am
Osso
One reason why swamp coolers work so well in Albuquerque (and other desert locations) is that they add needed moisture to our very dry air. Good for your home's interior and good for your health. Don't you hate dry noses?

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 09:43 am
I am presently tired of damp cold (hack, cough). I'll graduate to being tired of dry-nose after I move...
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:58 am
Up in the mountains the air is dryer than in Death Valley or Mojave Desert. Having more humidity indoors makes a HUGE difference - no more irritated nose, chronic coughing, dry skin, or sinus problems. The little computers love it too (much less static electricity in the carpets).

I use a cheap $150 swamp cooler year-round and evaporate about 6 gallons of water a day, just filling it by hand. In the winter I close the windows to keep the heat in. In the summer, I open the windows to let the moisture out and then it keep my rooms about 15 degrees cooler than the outdoors.

The swamp cooler uses less electricity than a 100W lightbulb,
compared to 1500W for a regular air conditioner (which makes air even dryer!).
At $0.11 per kilowatt-hour, that saves me about $2 a day.

With an air filter on it, it actually cleans pollen, dust and pollution out of the air too.
Plus, Costco delivered it to my door.

Works great.

(did that sound like a commercial or something? Ug, sorry. I just like it.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 01:59 pm
Or, we could go ahead and flush the swamp coolers and bleed the golf courses. Can't imagine that ball caring whether it's whacked of grass or gravel.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 02:25 pm
got our swamper running last night, enjoying the day. (currently 96)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 08:43 pm
96 in May? sheeeeeeet. What am I doing?

On the other hand, golf courses. That is where my career started to careen.... well, not the exact courses, but the developments. I opted out in the late eighties. Not that I am so wonderful. - seems a plain choice to me. On the other hand, I haven't had routine money since. But... not for only those reasons, so I can't flail large arrows here or there.

But I remember views.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 09:05 pm
It's an abberation, osso. Just an abberation.

I've been using my cooler for nighttime ventilation. Cleaned and plumbed it today.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:28 pm
96, that isn't what the website mentioned.

Will I boil to death before I reach equanimity?

Well, stay tuned, as you can trust me to whine as various heat effects overcome me.

I was still busy shivering here yesterday and even this morning, though it might have been in the early sixties as I went into the studio in the a.m.... it was in mid fifties inside the doors. No, of course not horrible. How could I complain, it really wasn't horrible. So, surprise, I won't complain.
Grumble.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:05 pm
Osso
Our 96 degrees was the talk of the town today. Very unusual hot weather for May.

My swamp cooler, running on low, kept my house wonderfully cool with the help of my ceiling fans in all rooms. Very economical to run regarding electricity and water consumption.

BBB
0 Replies