Mr.Piffka's Quotes - Part Deux

Piffka

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 10:17 am
I'm back... yes... after nearly a year. I had to see if I could stay away from a2k and live quietly amidst the noise and haste. Yes. I could and now I'm back because a2k is a most interesting place and I wanted to return. Here's this morning's quote from Mr. Piffka who sends out a daily quote via email to a short list of friends and family.

Note: Though this topic starts with a poem, that's the serendipity of the day. His quotes are usually prose and mostly political. I don't know what got into him except we had an awful windstorm last night that knocked out our power.

"All night the wind swept over the house
And through our dream
Swirling the snow up through the pines,
Ruffling the white, ice-capped clapboards,
Rattling the windows,
Rustling around and below our bed
So that we rode
Over wild water
In a white ship breasting the waves.
We rode through the night
On green, marbled
Water, and, half-waking, watched
The white, eroded peaks of icebergs
Sail past our windows;
Rode out the night in that north country,
And awoke, the house buried in snow,
Perched on a
Chill promontory, a
Giant's tooth
In the mouth of the cold valley,
Its white tongue looped frozen around us,
The trunks of tall birches
Revealing the rib cage of a whale
Stranded by a still stream;
And saw, through the motionless baleen of their branches,
As if through time,
Light that shone
On a landscape of ivory,
A harbor of bone."

- William Jay Smith (1918- ), Winter Morning
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,096 • Replies: 64
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 11:25 am
Piffka--

Welcome home.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 11:33 am
Welcome back, Piff!

Great to see you here again.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 11:39 am
Welcome back! In other words, bookmarking the new thread. I really enjoy Mr. Piffka's quotes.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:19 pm
Hello, hello, hello!!!

Noddy, hi and thanks. Always good to see you. Hope you're doing well.

Lord E, you're looking spiff as usual. Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad you kept the home-fires burning.

FreeDuck, thank you and I'm glad you like the quotes. I'll tell Mr.P -- he'll be so pleased. When he first heard I was having a "fast" from a2k he said, "But what about my quotes?!???" He seems to have a LOT of fun with his little hobby. Every morning he goes through a mountain of quotes he's chosen for their "worthiness" and picks out just the right one for his mood and the news of the day.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 07:22 pm
Welcome back, and say "Hi" to the pkflyer for me.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 11:37 pm
Hi Roger! How's the rat? And the cats?? I will extend your kindness to Mr.P. Thanks. I hope you've been well.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 12:34 am
Hooray!

Piffka's (daily?) quotes are back!

All is well in the world! Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 01:22 am
YAY!!! Welcome back, piffka! Looking forward to reading Mr. Piffka's quotes as well as reading those from your readers.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:10 am
Hi again, Olga! Very Happy Howdy, Diane. Yep, daily quotes are back and I am very pleased when anyone else posts quotes, too. It's especially nice if you know who & when or where the quote occurred, just in case Mr.P wants to incorporate it into his growing collection. (Otherwise he sends me off to research 'em. If you don't know, then... nevermind.) Mr. P, btw, LOVES quotes from family members, so don't be shy. Your Uncle Dwight's words of wisdom can be just as important as say... well, Camus's. (How is it I didn't know until this morning that he lived 'til 1960?)

"We used to wonder where war lived, what it was that made it so vile. And now we realize that we know where it lives...inside ourselves."

- Albert Camus (1913-1960)

(Ed. note: ...and whenever we can convince ourselves that this isn't true of us, it positively thrives.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:51 am
Blessings showering down on you!
And this is *my* newest, most favorite of quotations... long-winded, yes, but wonderful... from my favorite Jedi-Master and Jungian Fable-Maker, Rob Brezsny:

from Rob's Beauty & Truth Lab http://www.freewillastrology.com/beauty/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 01:53 pm
Sadly, Albert is 100% correct, Piffka!

Humans are a poxy species! And they never learn! Stoopid!:evil:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:38 am
We're baaaaaack!!!! Hurray!
"Nature acts without masters." - Hippocrates (c460-c370 BCE)

(Ed. note: Last Tuesday night about nine thirty p.m. the fuse on the transformer on the power pole located about 100 feet from our house went off like a cannon shot. A line crew came in and fixed it Wednesday morning. Thursday night a big wind storm came through, and every one of the big firs in our yard was getting some real exercise...we didn't lose a one, but we lost power at about 8 p.m., and with over a million people out of power all over Puget Sound, we knew we wouldn't necessarily get hooked back up so quickly this time. Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights passed, each about 28 to 30 degrees, which is pretty cold for us; we had hot water and a gas cooktop, but no heat. The house actually never got below fifty degrees inside - that doesn't sound that cold, but it isn't really that comfortable, we now know. A cold I came down with Saturday ballooned into something worse on Sunday, and it was a pretty miserable bunch here that day, trying to celebrate Patty's birthday; a celebration that was in part stolen by Mother Nature, for reasons of her own. Daughter Jane arrived that day, from her perfectly good, and warm, home - way to stand by your family, Jane! Son Ross was not averse to going off to work at for long stretches, where they had heat, and the staff amused themselves by making bets about who would get power back at their house first. Here at our house, we could dress up in our coats and hats and we could see our breaths in the candle light as we sat around the living room table, talking about how unprepared we all were for the slightest disruption of our amenities, and what it must be like in a place like Baghdad, where everyone must scramble to get things done whenever the power happens to come on for a couple of hours. We could use one flashlight to find new batteries for another flashlight. But after four days, not being able to do a little laundry gets to be a drag. A line crew finally got to our neighborhood at midday yesterday, and are we ever grateful.)

Piffka note: E-V-E-R - - - E-V-E-R S-O G-R-A-T-E-F-U-L ! ! ! ! (And wow... it seemed like days longer.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:49 am
Just dropping in to say that I was concerned about you, Piffka. Glad all is well . I have been following those terrible storms and the folks who have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

A belated Happy Birthday, honey. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:59 am
Hi Letty and thanks for the birthday wishes. Very Happy

The storm was so much harder on some people, I count my many blessings daily. I'm not sure why so many people were unprepared and so un-informed about simple safety rules. For me, having no access to TV or the internet and not enough time in the light of day to read much of the local newspaper, I've only just read this morning about the "carbon monoxide epidemic" that occurred in Seattle. Very sad. Sad There was some awful damage done to homes by falling trees. We do have large trees here and if there root structure is compromised by construction, flooding or the "mother tree" being removed, they are very liable to crash in a windstorm. We had gusts of 69 mph and sustained winds of 40. That's a lot for us. (I know, in Florida, that's a spring breeze.) :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:36 am
Happy birthday, Piffka! (And Clary, too! What a memory I have! Laughing ) Sounds a wild & woolly one!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:47 am
Hi Olga! Thanks for the birthday wishes. Yep... me & Clary, twins. Hope the holidays are treating you well and you are staying warm & dry.
Love, P

Here's Mr.P's quote for today:

"I'm in favor of legalizing drugs. According to my value system, if people want to kill themselves, they have every right to do so. Most of the harm that comes from drugs is because they are illegal."
- Milton Friedman (1912- )

Ed. note: Let's see, at $35 billion annually marijuana is the biggest cash crop in the USA, bigger than wheat. We spend, what? - five, ten, fifteen billion on enforcement? (I don't know)
... plus the value of depriving the drug cartels their income.
... plus the cost of incarcerating entire generations of non-violent 'drug offenders.'
... plus the $100 billion or so we could generate in taxes.
... plus the value of new jobs that would be created.

I'd say we're looking at, conservatively, a $200 billion a year swing in our financial fortune, if we were to simply treat cannabis the same way we handle alcohol and tobacco - in fact, marijuana would be arguably the least harmful substance of those three. That would be way too sane for this insane society to ever figure out. My question is, has there been any time in American history when the culture was more screwed up than it is now - now that my generation is in charge?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:04 am
Olga, I thought you'd want to know that Mr.P received several emailed comments on the Camus quote. It struck a chord with others, too, especially with some who had spent time serving their governments.

"The biggest lesson I learned from Vietnam is not to trust government statements."
Sen. James W. Fulbright (1905-1995) (D-Ark.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 02:41 pm
Piffka wrote:
Olga, I thought you'd want to know that Mr.P received several emailed comments on the Camus quote. It struck a chord with others, too, especially with some who had spent time serving their governments.

"The biggest lesson I learned from Vietnam is not to trust government statements."
Sen. James W. Fulbright (1905-1995) (D-Ark.)

Indeed, Piffka. "The first casualty ....." and all that! Sad

The most astounding (& saddening) thing to me is that political leaders continue to drag us, kicking & screaming, into wars we don't want a bar of! Who could believe that any country "wins" a war after the lessons of WW1? And remember the huge demonstrations just prior to (& after) the Iraq invasion? We were out on the streets pleading "Don't do this!". So many ordinary people knew that the planned invasion was utterly wrong. But they did it anyway. And look at the outcome. <sigh>
When will we have political leaders who listen to us? And acyually represent us? Sadly if their are huge profits to be made by wars despicable "leaders" will continue to wage them, under any pretext. A pox on them, I say! <sigh>

Mr P is here, at A2K, Piffka? I'm curious, given the email responses.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 06:47 pm
Hi Olga... Mr.P isn't here but he sends his quotes out to a list of email addresses. It's a nice way to keep in touch with old friends and every once in a while, a quote seems to affect several at once. Then there's a drove of emails in response.

I'm with you on this crazed leadership thing -- it makes no sense when so many regular folks can see and feel strongly enough to take to the streets, yet the leaders plow on ahead as though they knew what they were doing. And then they found out they're wrong... what a surprise. It makes me want to crawl into a shell and forget them all. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
0 Replies