Switch Boxes for Shared Use of Monitors and Peripherals

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 09:20 pm
Anyone have experience with and recommendations for switch boxes for shared use of monitors and peripherals between PC's?

I have two computer boxes and one monitor and printer. Thought about just networking them together since I use XP Pro but don't want to purchase a second monitor. Don't really have the room on the desk top for another one.

Second alternative is a switch box of some kind to share the one monitor between the boxes. Been doing a little surfing on the net about them but don't really know enough about the technology to understand what to look for and what is a good deal and what is a rip off.

Is the cost about equal for setting up a switch box with one monitor as it would be for just purchasing a cheap monitor, setting it on a cardboard box and networking the PCs together?

Any mentors out there on this subject?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,498 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 09:49 pm
This looks like something close to what I'm trying to do. Is this the type of switchbox I should look for? Black Box
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 10:42 pm
I use a 4-port KVM switch to connect one (Keyboard-Video-Mouse) to four computers. When I want to switch to computer #3, I just type Ctrl-Alt-Shift, then 3, then Enter.

You only need the 2-port version, unless you may get one or two more computers, or a laptop. Very handy for using a large monitor and keyboard on a teeny laptop!

There are many KVM switch choices, from $35 to $200.
http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/category.asp?loc=418&searchitemnumber=kvm%20switch
Belkin is the high-quality brand for a bit more money, though I've used a no-name brand for the last six years.

Check if your favorite keyboard and mouse are PS-2 style (1/4-inch circular plug) or USB style (3/8-inch wide flat plug).
Check the back of your computer also, though most computers in the last four years support both.

Most KVM switches use PS-2 connectors.
Technically, it does not *have* to support USB
because you can always get a little 2-inch adaptor to change
a USB keyboard into PS-2.

NETWORK

The best way to handle printing to connect it directly to one computer, then run a network cable to the other computer. Once the printer is working okay on one computer, select "My Computer", right-click on the printer, and select "Sharing...". You share the printer exactly the same way you share your C: drive. Just ask for more details if you don't know how.

With only two computers, get one "crossover cable" that goes directly from one computer to the other. It looks like a regular network cable (like a phone cable with a wider 8-pin connector instead of just 4-pins).

With three or more computers, get a $40 router (LinkSys and D-Link sell most of them) and connect each computer to the router.

Nice thing about a network is you can copy files from one computer to the other very quickly. I copy important files onto two or three different hard drives every day, just for additional safety backup.

Glad to help if I can, with any specific questions.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 12:52 am
Quote:
Nice thing about a network is you can copy files from one computer to the other very quickly. I copy important files onto two or three different hard drives every day, just for additional safety backup.

That is exactly what I am wanting to do but without a bonified network. The old box has Win 98 and is as slow as molasses, but I want to use it to store all my libraries of art, graphics and music that I've collected over the years.

I'm using XP's file transfer utility to move files between them, but am getting tired of having to yank the monitor cable off one computer to access the other for those file transfers
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 02:48 am
With a network, you wouldn't even have to switch the monitor over. No special software is needed to transfer files, because the hard drive on the other computer "looks" like it's actually connected to your current one.

Both computers can use all the printers and all the hard drives, just as if they were physically connected right to them.

(I don't know if I'm saying it right... The C: and D: drives could be local hard disks, while E: and F: are actually disks on the other computer).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 03:08 am
Right, I understand the networking concept. Most of my experience, however is from the early and mid 90's working with very large networks using Novell, ethernet cards, hubs, and routers. I've never networked for instance in the NT environment and am not familiar with how that all works nor have I tried building a network on a much smaller scale of only 2 or 3 PCs.

I understand that with XP Pro it is rather easy to create a network but have yet to spend enough time studying it to know if it would work just as easy with one of the nodes being a Win 98 PC.

Do the XP Pro networks require network cards still or is it all done with cable and USB ports?
0 Replies

Airb

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 04:21 pm
Butrflynet wrote:

Do the XP Pro networks require network cards still or is it all done with cable and USB ports?

Can go either way. If both machines already have network cards a simple crossover cable is good way to go. Most new machines come with a network card installed but if you have cable/dsl it may already be in use for your cable/dsl. You can add a second network card to get around that problem. There are also direct connection options via USB cables, parallel cables, serial cables. These require special cables and are not nearly as fast as Ethernet cables, but speed may not be a large requirement for you. I believe the USB transfer rates are around 6mb/sec compared to 100mb/sec for ethernet.

So if you already have open network cards on both machines a $5 crossover cable may solve the issue. If not, network cards are $10 and fairly easy to install. A USB direct connect cable can run $20
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?sku=B133-1016

HTH
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 07:03 pm
Thanks Airb! Think I'll go the NIC route.
0 Replies