Burlap curtains?

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:14 am
I'm thinking of making curtains/drapes/whatever you call them (I'm not really sure what defines them as such things) out of burlap.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to do this?

What might be the drawbacks of using burlap instead of some more traditional fabric?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,437 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:20 am
If it were truly the sort of burlap from which sacking was traditionally made, it would shed fibers like nobody's business. Where do you intend to get the burlap? Check it carefully to make sure it isn't shoddy, and won't shed fibers.

(Shoddy originally just referred to fabric made by pressing in steam, rather than being fully spun and woven, and not of a poor quality. It became associated with poor quality fabric because it sheds fibers, and tends to break down when wet. Burlap is a form of shoddy, because the threads from which it is woven are extruded rather than spun, and then woven.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:21 am
I would think that the only drawback would be the sewing of them. It's tough material. But if you have a good machine and the right needle, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:24 am
This site might be helpful for you: Creative Burlap-dot-com
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:38 am
Yeah that shedding thing....

I thought of using it because I have had a little burlap curtain hanging in my bedroom for a while. It started as a "make do" kind of thing but now I really like it. I like the way it filters light without blocking it out and I like it's nubby, ruined texture.

I've washed this little curtain several times and it doesn't shed anymore and it has a lovely softness to the way it hangs.

But now I'm thinking of using it to cover two wall sized windows - one 14x8 and the other 6x8. That's a lot of burlap. I suppose I could hit the laundrymat and run it through a couple of large machines before attempting to do anything with it.

And, maybe I could use seam tape instead of trying to sew it.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:40 am
Got anyone in the house with allergies/asthma?

Stay away from that sheddy shoddy burlap. You'll have wheezing going on in no time.
0 Replies