• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,051 • Replies: 21
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:47 am
Interesting...

No, I haven't seen that film of Fellini's.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:21 pm
A wacky Fellini, that's what it is. The tenor is totally mad and egoistic, like all tenors.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/and_the_ship_sails_on/
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:47 pm
Yes, he may be a diva but where is his professionalism? You win the crowd over, not stomp off in a hissy. geez. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:58 pm
This tenor was very popular because he was nice and had a good sense of humour.
Leo Slezak (August 18, 1873 - June 1, 1946) was a popular tenor opera singer and actor/comedian.
Many anecdotes reveal his sense of humour. The best-known example: During a performance of Lohengrin a technician sent the swan out too early, before the tenor could hop aboard. Seeing his feathered transportation disappear behind the scenes, Slezak ad-libbed to the audience: "Wann geht der nächste Schwan?" ("When does the next swan leave?")
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 01:18 pm
Sounds like the boos were justified.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 05:49 pm
Ok, it was unprofessional behavior. But perhaps the La Scala audiences will think twice before they boo a singer again. There's no excuse for their behavior either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:18 pm
This is not good re Italy's opera funding problem.

Me, I wish I were there. They've redone some of La Scala fairly recently; I've been outside the building but never in it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:22 pm
If you go to google image for La Scala and find this photo image (one of the first ones), and click on it, a page will come up with some La Scala history on it.

http://www.discountmilano.com/tour/Arte/Scala/Scala495x302.jpg
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:32 pm
I took a tour of La Scala in '93. It's a lovely theater - full of history.

And amazing acoustics, of course. We could hear the stage crew, speaking quietly to one another, from the back balcony.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:32 pm
I took a tour of La Scala in '93. It's a lovely theater - full of history.

And amazing acoustics, of course. We could hear the stage crew, speaking quietly to one another, from the back balcony.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:48 pm
Oooh.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 08:00 am
more pictures of La Scala

http://tinyurl.com/u9fgz
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:18 pm
When I was in Greece I witnessed the same acoustics. There was a group of Czech tourists on stage talking, giggling and singing. I sat way on top and could hear every word.
http://tinyurl.com/y9cscq
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:11 am
I saw Alagna perform in L'Elisir d'Amore and La Boheme, although that was about ten years ago. He has a magnificent voice and a commanding stage presence -- a rare combination for tenors.

I can't imagine anyone booing a tenor who had just started singing "Celeste Aida" unless they were planning on booing him regardless of how he sang. European audiences are far more likely to express their displeasure at bad performances than are American audiences, but booing someone who has barely opened his mouth is carrying things a bit too far.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:20 am
detano inipo wrote:
When I was in Greece I witnessed the same acoustics. There was a group of Czech tourists on stage talking, giggling and singing. I sat way on top and could hear every word.
http://tinyurl.com/y9cscq

Worked sound in a theater once with a peculiar arched ceiling the ran from over the proscenium to a crack in the wall over the booth. We could hear the actors brilliantly -- and they frequently complained that they could hear us talking to each other, even though we were pretty quiet in our ridicule of the cast (bad show).

If you sat in the audience, you couldn't hear much of anything anybody said.

The anti-Scala.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:23 am
Opera? Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:17 pm
http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archives/simon_cowell_idol-v_226727m.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:33 pm
We used to play Alagna at work and I liked his voice a lot. Seems abrupt in the booing to me too, but I've no experience with going to the opera in Italy (would that I did).
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:56 pm
Europeans have a reputation for expressing their disfavor toward poor singing performances, whereas Americans will politely applaud no matter what. I guess in this case the singer can judge his acceptance by the number of "bravos" received.

The question is whether the tenor's singing deserved the negative response. Even the best of singers have bad days.

Everybody has heard of the premiere of Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" in 1913 and the cacophonous response it got right from the first notes and through the whole ballet. The conductor Pierre Monteux had instructions prior to the performance to complete the whole work no matter the response of the audience, and he did. I read an annecdote that after the last notes, the conductor turned to the audience and said, "Since you liked the piece so much, we'll play it again." This probably isn't true, but it sounds good.
0 Replies