CAT SMELLS

myshelz

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 04:08 pm
I recently purchased a new home. I knew there was a weird odor when purchased but was told it had sat empty for two years, I thought some elbow grease and a good cleaning would fix it. Now I know what it was and I cannot get rid of it. There are stray cats living in my crawl space, now my entire house reeks of cat. Is there anything I can do, and how do you get rid of that smell Sad I love cats, but I don't own any pets and don't want to smell them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 842 • Replies: 3
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 06:13 pm
get a big dog
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 07:36 pm
Prolly hafta evict the cats, scrape out the soil under the crawlspace, scatter lotsa baking soda and/or activated charcoal in the crawlspace area, super-scrub/disinfect/deodorize everything inside the house (using bleach and/or institutional-grade cleanser - and suitable protective gear ... safety glasses, facemask/repirator, gloves, etc), use more baking soda and activated charcoal stashed in corners and cubbyholes throughout the interior rooms, and possibly even dispose of things such as carpeting, drapes, and upholstered furniture.

It might be better to engage the services of a professional - firms which specialize in after-disaster (fire or flood, for instance) cleanup might be worth checking into - they might be able to salvage a lotta stuff you'd otherwise hafta throw out. Prolly turn into a cost-benefit deal; only you can decide what's worth what to you.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 08:01 pm
Timber makes some good points, so I will try not to repeat them.

I think you bought a house that probably belonged to a "cat lady" (or man) and the no one ever bothered to find the cats a home, so they went feral. As someone who once helped clean up a "cat house" to help a friend "flip it", I can tell you it is close to impossible to get out the smell. We basically gutted the house, resanded the floors (or anything with a wood surface) and re-plastered or put up new sheetrock on all the walls. Painting and resealing the floors helped. No fabric or furniture should be put into the house until all the above is finished, or those items will just soak up the cat stink. Even after we did everything I mentioned you could still get a little sniff of cat piss on a hot summer day. My friend ended up selling the house to woman with 4 cats, we think she didn't notice the odor

If a real estate person lied to you about the house you might have some legal recourse. You might want to check with a lawyer.
0 Replies