Waiting for God

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:45 am
Hi friends,
I am contemplating on participating in a short story writing competition. The topic is, well, "Waiting for God".
Can you help me brainstorm? I mean like, what does the topic mean to you.
Let me begin...
I think this can be a reference to the cycle of births that a soul goes (yes, I believe in the Law of Karma) through until it achieves Liberation.
Or maybe it may be interpreted as the series of tests that God puts His devotee to before accepting him in Heaven.
Please, these are just rudimentary ideas. But I need help from my fellow A2Kers.
Awaiting a response... Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,091 • Replies: 14
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 11:31 pm
Re: Waiting for God
pararover wrote:
Hi friends,
I am contemplating on participating in a short story writing competition. The topic is, well, "Waiting for God".
Can you help me brainstorm? I mean like, what does the topic mean to you.
Let me begin...
I think this can be a reference to the cycle of births that a soul goes (yes, I believe in the Law of Karma) through until it achieves Liberation.
Or maybe it may be interpreted as the series of tests that God puts His devotee to before accepting him in Heaven.
Please, these are just rudimentary ideas. But I need help from my fellow A2Kers.
Awaiting a response... Laughing

Is it a pun on 'Waiting for Godot'? Godot never came. Will God?
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:51 am
No Hinge. That's not a pun on Godot. Would you help me please?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 01:31 am
I'll help if I can.

My understanding of the phrase 'Waiting for God' is an expression to describe the state of mind you get having reached an age when you've achieved what you're going to achieve, your kids have left home, you've retired and you have no ambition to do anything much but live until you die. ie wait for god to call you up to heaven.
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 02:25 am
So basically it is about old age?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 03:50 am
Could be about a Nun or priest entering the seminary or having entered is having doubts.

something with a muslim attatchment?

Science/mathematics:The big bang theory and knowing the answer is in there inside the equations somewhere but being unable to see it.

How much is the prize? I'll take 10% if you use my ideas.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:14 pm
In the UK Waiting For God is BBC Comedy

About two senile delinquents in an old peoples home - I think....
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:40 am
I am curious Hinge, and I am not from UK. Could you enlighten me more?
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:44 am
didnt notice the link, sorry.
thanks hinge.
but whats the relevance. waiting for god?????
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:44 am
hingehead wrote:

Follow the link Para - I'm not from the UK either....
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:52 am
hingehead wrote:
I'll help if I can.

My understanding of the phrase 'Waiting for God' is an expression to describe the state of mind you get having reached an age when you've achieved what you're going to achieve, your kids have left home, you've retired and you have no ambition to do anything much but live until you die. ie wait for god to call you up to heaven.

That's a truly sorry state of life. It could also be defined as "simply giving up". Many young people also suffer from this malady. People should have a sense of mission until they die!
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:56 am
thanks nick. so you mean that it could be about hope in spite of resignation.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 09:40 am
More precisely, don't give in to resignation. Find the hope within yourself.
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 10:05 am
and the hope within is none other than God...brilliant!!!
0 Replies

batmanmg

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 01:38 am
waiting for god could be interperated many ways... wich is probably the point... to interperate it however you want... but heres the four i see it as... waiting to die... waiting for judgment day and the second comming... waiting to hear back on a prayer to god... but the last one i like best becuase im kinduf anti religion right now... but it could be taken like this... god is all knowing and all powerfull... when he comes to you you reach enlightenment, the meaning of life and whatnot... but since i think that very few ppl ever reach the transendent state that budda did, i'd take it to mean that we are all waiting to figure out maybe not a meaning to life, but at least a better understanding... when people are waiting for god they are waiting for something to bring them out of a bad time or place in life... so your neck deep in life and are waiting for an enlightening thought to cross your mind and keep you afloat
0 Replies