How Important Are Sports in Your Life?

Roberta

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 02:59 am
I'm an avid spectator. I used to go to Yankees games when I lived near the Stadium and could stroll on over. I've been to a few Knicks games. And I've been to the US Tennis Open several times. Never made to a Giants game. I'm not much of a hockey fan.

I love the Olympics--both summer and winter. If the Olympics are ever held in the Big Apple, I'll attend as many events as I can afford.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 03:23 am
I don't watch sports so much, because I can't understand how one team can be "us" while another team is "them". These people come from twenty different places, thousands of miles away, and have absolutely nothing to do with me or my friends! Am I a superior being because some stranger wins a game? Deep down, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I've always preferred doing rather than spectating anyways. Life is a participation not a performance.

My sport? I like to take naps. In the grass, or on sand, or these days mostly just on pine needles. The places I choose to take naps vary in altitude from 1,000 feet to 11,000 feet and sometimes it's very difficult to get to the spot. Rivers and lakes and rocks and miles of snow and all sorts of things get in the way, but the naps make it all worthwhile. People seem to admire that fact that I sleep around.

I once took a nap about half a mile underground, in absolute complete darkness, while being firmly squeezed on all sides by massive quantities of Earth. It was very nice, but took my friends and I almost five hours of rope climbing with ratchets and gizmos just to get back up to the surface. When we finally returned to the fresh air and sunshine, I laid down and took a nap.

It's kind of an odd sport. I once asked a friend of mine to sleep with me, but then she started to have sex instead. Now I know better than to ask, and just knock off anywhere I like. I once woke up with seven different types of birds within arms reach, just twittering and singing away! Another time a small furry animal gently tugged out a bit of my hair, to take back home as a souvenir. I guess I have a following now. My fans are like animals!

I've never found any sport to be so refreshing and invigorating. Sometimes, at work or at school, I'd practice with a bit of visualization and warm up snoozes. Because later that night, when it's quiet and dark and everybody's getting ready for the Main Event -- that's when I really shine!

I've dozed and nodded off in many places, sometimes in teams or doubles, but I still have a lot to learn. Strange how a little snoring will go such a long way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 06:23 am
I would like to note that i find the National Football League to be one of the most effective sedatives i've ever used . . .
0 Replies

BabySteps

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 09:08 pm
Sports is a way of life.
I was raised on Oklahoma Football by my Mother and every sport she could sign me up for. I now watch my sons play High school football and basketball.
When the kids were little my wife use to pack up the kids to watch me play softball, and bowl. Now she can't wait for football season to get here she loves to watch her boys play. She will go with me to a ball game of any sort but will not watch one on TV. I still play Golf, Bowl, and play my oldest son in a Game of Tennis. Sports is a way of life but I do find time to other things that are not sports related. Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 09:13 pm
In my teens I was very active in both sports participation and as a spectator.

I used to play basketball, football (both American and Soccer), and pretty much anything else.

I used to watch those same sports the most and used to be fanatic about them (got to watch Real Madrid play etc).

Now I have less time for sport. I bought a basketball when I came stateside but that same week the nearby park took down the hoops! :-(
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 12:42 am
Craven, Who needs a hoop? I can remember kids in my neighborhood playing basketball with the bottom rung of the fire escape serving as the hoop. I can still hear that bo-o-o-o-i-i-i-ng. There must be something around that could be a hoop.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 12:45 am
Yeah but no hoop = no players

I love basketball and used to dribble one around everywhere I went but I prefer to play with players. :-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:30 am
Why in the name of heaven would "they" take the hoops down?

Like, grrrrrrrrrr!
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:46 pm
love sports thats all i gotta say loveeeee sportssss period
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 11:53 pm
I enjoy tennis alot, playing it & watching it, I see every game that it's possible to see, & even change my sleep hours a little for Grand Slams, & it's actually the only sport I'm kind of good at, but I always get injured, I had 6 minor injuries & 1 big one during the last 2 years, but I still keep playing! Very Happy

I also like soccer a little.
0 Replies

Verbal lee

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 09:34 am
Love sports, and play for fun everywhere we can get a 'few together' to swat or dribble a ball around.
Mostly jog, or walk for exercise- plus my job is physical.
0 Replies

koolplay

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 01:50 am
as for me,sports have been an inalienable element in my daily life.badminton and tennis now take up mostly my favourite exercises.basketball was my past,i feel my enthusiasm for basketball has been down a lot,i hardly go to the playground to play it,however the passion of watching my beloved NBA still continues.during the recent days,skateboarding becomes my cup of tea.it's a punk movement that cater to young's appetite.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 02:52 am
love sports, played football in HS and actually took my team to back to back state campionships. Now I am a brazilian jiu jitsu practitioner and still play a lil ball but NHB is my sport. I go to watch my budys fight in Pride or to the odd Falcons game.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 01:56 pm
I watch some tennis or track sometimes but I'm not really that much into watching. What fascinates me usually is the athletes' power, strenght, muscles, body control...

For myself, I don't like any team sports. I love to go to the gym and work out by myself. I love weights and muscles... I like to go rollerblading - by myself, of course.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 02:16 pm
I play golf and basketball and help with my kids soccer and baseball practices. I also ski when I get the chance. Mostly work out at the gym though.

Absolutely hate running. This doesn't help my b-ball game much.

I'll watch just about any sport on TV except maybe curling. Or rhythmic gymnastics. Or the Braves or the Twins. That chop and indian "chant" they do is enough to make one want to drop a nuke in the middle of Turner field.

I also like to hunt and fish, and combine these with hiking, because, I don't have a bird dog, so I have to be the dog.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 02:22 pm
Well you might guess in the old days sports played a pretty significant part of my life. However, I first time I was actually on a sideline then in the bleachers it about bored me to death. College football is almost the only type of football I can muster on the TV. Until last 18 months ago I was totally involved in coaching youth sports (Soccer, Basketball, and Softball) at competitive levels. Now I'm out altogether and that makes my orthopedic doc very happy. I used to be out 6 of 7 days a week between games and practices. I now have those time filled with other activities (phew - still have to put on a jock in the morning).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 02:25 pm
oops - I forgot about the hunting, fishing, camping, and mountain climbing. Back when I was a kid (youngster) - they used to call me "Kurt Gowdy Jr" after the show "American Sportsman". Now I golf and hunt when I get time.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 05:30 pm
Many hours spent with the horses - primarily jumper and breezing the racehorses. Racketball/Squash fiend. Not much for team sports. Kayaking enthusiast. As for spectator - mostly for horse racing or F1, some footi & hockey.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 07:56 pm
My sports interest waxes and wanes, according to family and friends' interests. I usually got to events just to spend an evening with someone. Once in San Francisco a friend dragged me to a ball game between the Giants and Houston Astros, for, he assumed I must be a fan of the Texas team. In truth, I had been barely aware there was such a team as the Astros. During the game he and I and others in the stand became so involved in talking and drinking beer that I only realized Willy Mays had hit a home run just as he crossed home plate.
0 Replies

The end

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:13 pm
Hi. Quite important, I should say. Especially biathlon and shooting. I wish I could take more time for that, but by now it's not so easy, to my sorrow.
0 Replies